D10 before U12? still undecided.(NOT U12 vs D10)

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

James Winwood

Post by James Winwood »

I agree with Paul above about learning the 6th tuning. Get an 8 string C6 lap steel and see why they put the modern c6 pulls on there in the first place. It will go a long way in learning a 6th tuning be it on a d-10 or universal, no matter what key you tune it to.
Jerry Clardy

Post by Jerry Clardy »

Assuming that the E9/B6 universal tuning is the goal here: I can say what worked for me back in the dark ages. Before going to universal tunings, I just tuned my C6 down a fret to B6 on my D10. Then the fret positions are the same on both necks. This is effectively what the E9/B6 universal tuning is anyway, except it has the necks "mashed" together. By keeping the necks separate initially, though, it was easier for me to study each neck separately. Also, from this, it was clear to me how the 9th string of the E9 and the top strings of the B6 have to be substituted for the universal tuning. Might I suggest both a D10 and a U12 and sell the one you decide against?
Jeff Hogsten

Post by Jeff Hogsten »

one thing that hasnt been mentioned here and it is the reason Im not playing a 12. I havent been to a lot of shows so I havent got to play a 12 but very little but I can see all the advantages but I have been told they DO NOT SOUND GOOD this would madke a good post. I just bought a carter and Bud homself who plays a 12 string told me they do not sound as good. Tone is where it is for me so I expect that a lot of people dont change for that reason. However if you are sure you are going there someday I would do it now becase you may have trouble getting used to the sound later Jeff

Kiyoshi Osawa

Post by Kiyoshi Osawa »

wow!

I ended up getting alot more advice than I expected. I've decided on going straight to U12, since I got a good deal on one just recently anyway. (Now I have to drive all the way up to Houston to get it though!!!) Getting both, and THEN deciding sounds like a good Idea, but that's just way over my budget right now.

Anyway, thanks for all the posts, and for helping me make an informed decision.

------------------
Kiyoshi
------
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

The other great man of the Universal tuning was of course Jeff Newman.
It's 3 am, and I have to listen AGAIN to Graham and Walter's tribute clip from Jeff to Jimmy Day.

If there was not enough proof of the Universal being a supurb integrated tuning for country and jazz...
just listen here y'all, and hear pure beauty.
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum15/HTML/006276.html

And try NOT to cry.