Use of microphones by today's vocalists............

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bruce Hudson

Post by Bruce Hudson »

I think it also bears mention that microphones aren't all that has changed. My steel, guitar and bass amps are all different makes and models. In the past a Bassman amp might've been good enough for them all. In the past 30 watts of clean power would've gone a long way...now most of us wouldn't even consider that a practice amp. So, given that steel players have beautiful, clean, tone-filled 225W amps, guitar players have 120 watts and finding a bass amp under a few hundred watts on live stages is nearly impossible, it stands to reason vocalist mics would need to evolve- as would Mic technique and stage monitors.

But I do understand the OP's point of view and understand where he's coming from. There are a lot fewer "artists" holding a Mic than in the past....
Spats Davenport

Post by Spats Davenport »

I use what might be considered the old school technique, staying probably about 6" or 8" from the mike. I didn't set out to do this deliberately, but I do prefer the sound. That said, if I go very low, say the E almost two octaves below middle C, I'll go right in.

Another thing that seems not to have been mentioned, unless I missed something. I also play guitar, and controlling my distance from the microphone isn't all that easy. If you are very close to the mic, a movement of 1" might constitute a halving if the distance between you and the capsule. If your baseline position is further away, unintended variations of distance will be less noticable, I think.

Spats.