What's a good steel amp?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Riley Hart

Post by Riley Hart »

Thinking about cutting down my homebrew twin cabinet. Got two tens in it, and can still barely pick it up. Twin is a wonderful amp, but if you get in a situation where the stage volume is out of control, it's not gonna get you all the way there. But mighty hard to beat if volume is reasonable. Just my opinion. Coming from a guy who can barely manage a d10 mci. My NV400 seems to have gotten heavier as well. Lucky I got a great price on a little 200 watt 12inch speaker Evans amp recently. If i had to sell it, the next choice for any situation here would be replacing the BW in the NV400 with a neo. I was using an ampeg bass amp with a 12" neo, and it wasn't bad, but even that was a bit weighty for an older guy.
Jimbo Watkins

Post by Jimbo Watkins »

Riley, what specific speaker are you referring to by "neo"? I have a really nice Ampeg amp head that I would like to build a cabinet for.

Thanks . . .
It's only a flesh wound!
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

You guys who "prefer a solid state amp" have probably never played through a Milkman Pedal Steel Amp - the headroom and crisp bass of a high-power solid state, with the warmth and personality and touch sensitivity of tubes...plus a reverb to die for. IMHO, of course.
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Joe Naylor

Paractice amp ??

Post by Joe Naylor »

If you want a practice amp look at this:

I have had steel player want a GK mb 200 with a 12" a speaker and to disassemble a Roland Cube - the options are endless. Also have a tube option.

I build seats and put whatever controls and speaker you want.

Not here is the amp and controls take it or leave it.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

You should seriously check out the new Telonics TCA500 Combo amp... this amp comes with a 500 watt power amp, all the features of the amazing Telonics Pre1000 preamp, including digital reverb and dobro sim, a 15" Neo Telonics speaker, a one rack size spare space for an EFX unit of your choice -- and it only weighs in about 30lb ...
Ive been using this amp for all my gigs since I got home from the Dallas show and it has been nothing short of phenominal.... oh and it's light and robust enough to fly with - without incurring excess baggage charges :-} !!

And did I mention it is LOUD !!
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Paddy Long wrote:You should seriously check out the new Telonics TCA500 Combo amp... this amp comes with a 500 watt power amp, all the features of the amazing Telonics Pre1000 preamp, including digital reverb and dobro sim, a 15" Neo Telonics speaker, a one rack size spare space for an EFX unit of your choice -- and it only weighs in about 30lb ...
Ive been using this amp for all my gigs since I got home from the Dallas show and it has been nothing short of phenominal.... oh and it's light and robust enough to fly with - without incurring excess baggage charges :-} !!

And did I mention it is LOUD !!
WHAT DID YOU SAY PADDY!!!? :lol: :lol:
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Riley Hart

Post by Riley Hart »

Jimbo; the Ampeg is a Portabass250. I still use it for bass lots of the time.
It is a combo amp, and the first owner had it back when neo speakers were not as common as now.
Norman Non-pedal 12 string, Thinline Partscaster. Evans JE200, Fender MIM Precision bass, Herrmann 3/4 Upright.
Jimmy Gibson

Amp for steel

Post by Jimmy Gibson »

I know they are a bit of a lump but IMHO the Fender Steel Kings are superb Steel and guitar amps, and used with the Fender Satellite FSX System sounds absolutely awesome.

Jimmy.
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

Steve Lipsey wrote:You guys who "prefer a solid state amp" have probably never played through a Milkman Pedal Steel Amp - the headroom and crisp bass of a high-power solid state, with the warmth and personality and touch sensitivity of tubes...plus a reverb to die for. IMHO, of course.
I would love to try one of those big Milkmans Steve. But, have you ever played through a mid 60's Standel super custom? Mine has the sweetest sound of my whole pile - which includes some very nice tube amps.
Jerry Hedge

Post by Jerry Hedge »

Brett, that's why I love my Steel King. To me it sounds a lot like a mid- late 60's Standel.
Tom Gorr

Post by Tom Gorr »

Steve Lipsey wrote:You guys who "prefer a solid state amp" have probably never played through a Milkman Pedal Steel Amp - the headroom and crisp bass of a high-power solid state, with the warmth and personality and touch sensitivity of tubes...plus a reverb to die for. IMHO, of course.
You were probably referring to my post..haha...I have a wall full of tube amps and speaker cabs from my guitar days...and I spent a lot of time selecting components for the most killer rock crunch tones imaginable...(and I was very happy with where I got to on that endless quest)...I do intend to refit one of these amps with 6L6's or KT66's and find the right speaker to pair with it, and I may change my opinion post haste.

Unfortunately, the quest for tone is an expensive proposition...I'm trying to keep things cheap until I get gigging again.
Jon Logan

Steel Amps

Post by Jon Logan »

Where are all the Evans fans ? Just had my FET500 rebuilt by the master, Derrell. I mix that up with the Telonics 500 or Nashville 112,,, one clear and crisp, the other warm and fuzzy, sounds like twin steels, which is consistent with my diagnosis !
UH-1
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

The OP states that he needs a practice amp and everyone falls all over themselves to recommend their favorite 200 - 300 watt amp. Any of the amps he currently has will work just fine for practice and recording. Sheesh!
Joe Naylor

I agree

Post by Joe Naylor »

U R correct Tim

my idea with the Seat-Amp was just that - I can put what ever controls people want in them.

The GK mb200 is a popular one as well as a Roland Cube control and speaker. Both are popular with steel players. Other combinations for other instruments.

I am sure some are laughing at the idea but it is not intended for be used as an amp for everyone.

There is a big market I am finding though.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

For a practise amp, I've found the Fender Mustang I to be the best tone for the cost. Great headphone out too. Works great with my D-10 ShoBud on the Twin Reverb sim setting. I see these used on CL for $60 often.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Benjamin Wolfram

Post by Benjamin Wolfram »

Fender Bassman 100, 115 cab, and a nice reverb pedal...K'POW!!

The cabinet was made by a fine gentleman I had recommended to me by this forum, his name escapes me for now, and the speaker is one of those Eminence EPS15C from memory.
Daryl Thisdelle

Steel Amp

Post by Daryl Thisdelle »

If you are really serious about getting one of the best sounding units out there is get the Walker SS System. First it is made special for the steel guitar. It has been around for 20 years and has been perfected all along the way. The guy that makes them Gerry, has been a steeler for almost 40 years and I think he knows a thing or two on how the steel guitar should sound. I just came back from the Dallas show and was disappointed on how many of the players sound sounded like the last guy up on stage. It seems steeler's are slow to change from that all midrange sound. The Walker SS has two cabinets and is like its say Stereo Steel and what a huge sound you get out of the two tuned cabs. Plus a choice of speakers you want in the cabinets. If ya want wattage the SS has all you will ever need and can cut through any mix.
Daryl
Williams 700 Keyless SD 12 String Universal Lacguer Body Wood Neck Alumitone Pick Up GD Walker Stereo Steel Amp Preamp Combo With 2x15 inch JBL Speakers In Tuned Cabinets, Hilton Digital Sustain Pedal, Telonics Volume Pedal. Steel Seat With Back Rest And Swivel And Adjustable Legs. George L Cables. BJS Bar. Nookies Thumb Pick National Finger Picks. Jagwires Petterson Strobo Plus HD Tuner