Video of Pedabro

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tab Tabscott

Pedabro

Post by Tab Tabscott »

Dan Tyack graciously loaned me his D9th pedabro a few years ago for a couple of months. It was pretty cool, but the dobro type sound volume was really low, and if you used the pickup, it basically sounded like a mellow pedal steel, not a dobro. In the studio you could tweak it up loud.
I don't recall what the acoustic pickup part was...Dan?
Tab
Tab Tabscott

Play nice.

They is none else.
Matt Butner

Post by Matt Butner »

I know this is an old thread but i found two recordings of forever and ever amen that might help some people. One is played with that marrs thing and the other with a seems to be a stomp box. The stomp box sure fooled me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXkhuLLmajs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Hc0zpHqAE
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

Pedabro? Is that a dirty old man who touches his brother? :eek:

I've always enjoyed Keith Whitley's tune "It Ain't Nothing" with PF's signature licks.
About a decade ago I talked to senior about the Pedabro. He mentioned getting the string angle over the spider bridge just right was critical.
I'll bet the are other ways to make an acoustic pedal steel. I've always contended that if you had a tuning/mechanism design that ensured the tension on the top side to the top equaled the tension on the underside of the top, you could make a thin top that might resonate better.
It would have value - practice without an amp or play along with an acoustic guitar being played by a light handed player.
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

I'd trade all of my pedals for Jerry Douglas knowledge...
Doug Garrick

Post by Doug Garrick »

I remember seeing some pictures from a guy in Utah, maybe Salt Lake, who was building a pedabro style pedal steel guitar /w resonator. It seemed like he was very close to a finished product.
-doug garrick
Peter den Hartogh

Post by Peter den Hartogh »

Image Image