FORWARD knee

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jerry Brightman

Post by Jerry Brightman »

Hi Rudy..I'll be there soon I hope..Looking forward to spending some time with you and the other guys...

I heard Bobbie is playing the Choo Choo show
with TWO KNEE levers and NO pedals.....now
thats part of what I was talking about..it's
not how many, it's how you apply technique...and I do appreciate your sense
of humor too.. Image

Jerry
http://www.slidestation.com <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jerry Brightman on 14 April 2002 at 07:05 AM.]</p></FONT>
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Saw a new "Mooney" steel at the Chattanooga show with 2 forward knee levers.
One for the E9 knee lever stall, and one for the C6 stall.
The mechanism looked real nice.

I've made a prototype LKF that I hope to implement on my axe soon.
~pb
Peter

Post by Peter »

Any chance of a Forward Knee Lever picture somewhere on the Forum or the Internet? It would be nice to see if one can make one FKLever to experiment with. Thanks
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

Jerry:

I can definately relate to what you are saying here. Being a person who is very much like yourself in stature and size in general, I would be most interested in trying the forward knee lever, at least to see how it would feel. On my D-10 Zumsteels I have 8x8 and a new one is due here Wed. It has a modified version of the Crawford cluster on the left knee but I have never been particularly fond of vert. levers, even though the guitar has one.

As far as changes go, how are you using the forward lever. I wanted to try it when I saw you at the last show in Norwalk but it was kinda' busy at the time.

BTW, were you able to get Tony Booth to the Texas show??

Your buddy,

Chris "Tiny" Olson
Jerry Brightman

Hi Pete and Tiny..

Pete, if you go to my website(see link below), and look under the today area, then select the picture of me in St. Louis, theres a pretty good picture of it...

Tiny, It didn't work out this year with scheduling and all, but maybe next year Image

Thanks,

Jerry http://www.slidestation.com
Tommy Mc

Post by Tommy Mc »

Although I agree with Donny, I wonder how many permutations other instruments went through before they became standardized. I tend to look at the pedal steel as still in it's embrionic stage. Perhaps a hundred years from now, there will be the 'perfected steel guitar', and if so, it will be the result of experimentation and discussions like we have on this forum.
These are exciting times to be a steel player. I believe the instrument has it's own attraction, and once a prospective player discovers that, the non-standardization only enhances the attraction. To me, the real challenge is to keep the instrument relevent to all kinds of music.
Jerry Brightman

"To me, the real challenge is to keep the instrument relevent to all kinds of music."
Tommy, that IS the real and most important aspect and I'm glad you said it too.

Jerry http://www.slidestation.com
James Winwood

Post by James Winwood »

"I believe the instrument has its own attraction, and once a prospective player discovers that, the non-standardization enhances the attraction"...
Bingo!.... Well said Tommy. Absolutley true from my experiences so far.