A pedal steel banjo? Really???

Bottleneck slide guitars, B-benders, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Peter den Hartogh

Post by Peter den Hartogh »

Jack Devereux

Post by Jack Devereux »

I saw this thing at the IBMA Trade Show. Pretty useless as a musical instrument. Watched a bunch of guys (including the builder) sit down and try to wrench a tune out of it, nobody had much success. It was beautifully constructed, really top notch workmansip, but as functional instrument, not so much. Maybe somebody will come along and really figure out how to play it, but I kinda doubt it.
b0b

Post by b0b »

I actually would like a steel guitar that was styled like that, as a piece of furniture. The banjo part should hang on the wall, where it belongs. :P
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Alvin Blaine wrote:... Kieth tuners on every string. The idea of it that I liked, is that I use about four different tunings on banjo so just holding down a couple of pedals, or knee levers, I could have all kinds of tunings...
I wonder if you could fit a Hiplock Trilogy onto a banjo. That way you could get a multitide of different tunings at the the flick of a few levers.
Another idea would be to put a Duesenberg Multibender onto a banjo so that you have palm levers.
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Jack Devereux wrote:I saw this thing at the IBMA Trade Show. Pretty useless as a musical instrument. Watched a bunch of guys (including the builder) sit down and try to wrench a tune out of it, nobody had much success. It was beautifully constructed, really top notch workmansip, but as functional instrument, not so much. Maybe somebody will come along and really figure out how to play it, but I kinda doubt it.
The hardest part about it was the foot pedals were so far away that, unless your about 6ft6, you could only reach one pedal at a time with your toes. No way to get two at a time or rock between two. That's the only way you could use it to play melodies to be able to get more than just one string change at a time.
Edwin Allen

where's the steel ?

Post by Edwin Allen »

It seems like you'd.need to raise the action and use a bottleneck slide on that Beast!
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Buck Trent would faint dead away… :lol: ;-)
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

Mad Max 3.....
John Drury

Post by John Drury »

Can't wait to hear "Bucks Bounce"!
John Drury
NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr