SOME More photos from 2013 ISGC

Archived for historical reference

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Bryce Velasco

Jim R. Harrison

Post by Jim R. Harrison »

Thank you Henry & Terry for your comments re my recent ISGC photos. Henry, there is more to it than just the camera. My camera is an old Canon Digital Rebel XTi, about 5 1/2 years old now. I use a battery grip on the camera base to give more stability. The grip contains two batteries, thus increasing my shooting capacity. My basic lens is a Canon 18 - 55 mm IS. For "closeup" shots, I use a Tamron 75 - 300 mm LD Tele-Macro lens. Before shooting, I use a ColorRight White Balance Filter enabling me to obtain the correct colour temperature of the scene in different shooting positions & locations. I also shoot in both JPEG AND RAW formats, allowing better colour correction during post processing. Two other important items are the use of a good external flash; I use a Canon Speedlite 580 EXII, mounted on an external flash bracket, getting the flash off the camera, thus reducing red eye and providing a firmer grip on my equipment. This also provides for better "modelling" of the people in the photos.
Terry, I'm sorry I didn't say "Hi" since we were so close and we live relatively close to each other. Perhaps the info I gave, above, might be useful to you, as well as to Henry. Maybe we'll see each other in June in Caroline, AB at Jeff Bradshaw's Canadian Steel Guitar Show? Regards, Jim Harrison