Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
Robert Allen

Post by Robert Allen »

"Small builders have to pay retail for everything."

I'm fortunate in that regard because I have a retail store and pay dealer prices for standard parts such as tuners, pickups, pots, and strings, and in some cases OEM prices are discounted even more, but there are many things that aren't discounted such as wood, custom machined parts, laser cut fretboards and pickguards, finishing supplies, tools. Additionally Paypal gets their 3 - 4% and then if sold on eBay or through the SGF, there's another 5%. There's a limit on shipping charges. If over a certain amount, the customer thinks I'm inflating shipping charges so I frequently absorb part of the shipping costs. It also takes time to package them securely, do the paperwork and then drive to town to drop it off at the UPS store. Or I can pay $12.65 extra for UPS to drive up the mountain and pick it up and the customer won't pay for this. And then Uncle Sam is waiting in the wings to take another 15% for SS/Medicare tax and then the remaining is taxable personal income. I don't think any domestic builders are getting rich building lap steels one at a time.
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Calvin Walley wrote:... the wood can't be a major factor , I ran a imported /domestic lumber company for years . the kind of wood can only account for a small part of the overall cost, I can understand a $200.00 price tag but $2000.00 ? the damn thing would have to be plated with 14 kt gold... ...
With the price of premium exotics these days, gold plating is looking better and better :)
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

What are the cost of materials for a Stradivarius? Inconsequential to their worth. For any musician I would imagine, finding an instrument that resonates with them, that let's them find their voice, that unlocks the sound in their head is worth its weight in gold.

I've played every kind of lap steel over the last 10 years and I can tell you there are as big a difference between models as there are with any other instrument: a cheap acoustic will be valued differently than classic Martin guitar. Why? Because of the sound, because of the playability, because it has the sound you've always wanted to project from your fingers.

Some lap steels are cheap and don't sound good, don't play well, and are worth the hundred bucks they cost. My Asher Hawaiian Model one costs a few thousand dollars. I would never sell it. It is my favorite instrument because it sounds amazing, it plays amazing, and when I play it, I'm a better musician.

So what is that worth?
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

I'm surprised my fellow straight steel players didn't answer this with more gusto to our to our pedal and knee lever challenged friend.

The reason lap steels cost so much is that they are WORTH IT!
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Closed at the request of the original poster.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars