Upon Reaching the Statistical End of Your Life?

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

This is a subject I've always been interested in,,,but the past 10 years or so I've been VERY interested in it,,,,and it seems as though science has also become more interested in it. I think I've read every NDE (near death experience) there is record of,,,Dr. Moody's books, Dr. Eben Alexander etc. Tons of stuff on youtube,,,a science program called "Through the Worm Hole". I have to count myself among the "believers",,,however,,,my spituality does definitely extend far, far beyond what we hear from the pulpit on Sunday morning.

http://www.cbn.com/media/player/index.a ... /RH64v3_WS

or,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m--M5itPoqA

another good one,, www.cbn.com/media/player/index.aspx?s=/mp4/AR99v2_WS
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Sonny,
It depends on who's in the pulpit. :D
Allen Peterson

Post by Allen Peterson »

I believe we existed before we came to earth and will exist after we leave this life. We were given the wonderful opportunity come to Earth, gain a body, learn through experience, be tested, tried, and tempered. It is these qualities we will take with us when we leave the Earth. Life is all part of a great plan of progression. The degree to which we succeed in this life will dictate our rate of progression in the next.

When we die, we will be greeted by our relatives and friends who died before us. We will continue to learn and progress. There is nothing to fear, if we have done our best while here. I am sure each of us will have regrets about things we could have done better or things we failed to learn on Earth, but this is only normal because we are not yet perfect.

I think our spirits are old, or ancient, and had already reached a certain level of progression before we were born. When we die, our spirits will part the body and we will live in a spirit world, like we did before we got here.

In order to be perfected we needed to experience pain and pleasure and these things are precisely the things we have experienced in life. We all have had to confront difficult situations but these make us stronger and we learn valuable lesson from each of them.

To continue progressing we must learn obedience to natural laws and we must learn discipline, much like learning to play the steel guitar or anything else. The only way to learn these things is to gain a body. A spirit cannot play an instrument.

Gene (and b0b), thanks for the opportunity to express my views. You sound like a wonderful human being and I am sure you have nothing to worry about in the next life.

I hope b0b does not kill this thread, but if he does, I understand.

Allen Peterson
2008 D10 Rains Pedal Steel, 2000 D10 Carter Pedal Steel, BR-9 Lap Steel, Nashville 400, Nashville 112, '65 Fender Twin Re-issue, MB 200, Telonics Volume Pedal
Ron Kirby

Post by Ron Kirby »

Amen..
Michael Wolfe

Post by Michael Wolfe »

Well, I am not 82 but I think having nearly died three times in my lifetime qualifies me to speak on this topic.

One time, lying on the operating table, I prayed to whoever is up there that if it was my turn to vacate the planet I was down with that, but if all possible I wanted to spend more time with my wife. I'm still here.

I am not going to get into vacuous claims about "spirituality", because I think most people simply re-word everything they have heard before and lay it out for you whether it makes any sense or not.

But I have always thought that if I ever got a chance to preach on this topic, I would say something like "you have a life, and you can't take it with you, so spend it, spend all of it." In football parlance they call it "leaving it all on the field".

My wife and I have the same personality flaw, we are generous to a fault. If we die broke it will be because of our own doing, we give our time, talent, and treasure to whoever asks, whenever they ask. It may not be smart, it's just the way we get down.

Sometimes I have people I haven't seen in 40 years contact me on Facebook and remind me of something I did all those years ago that made them happy. It tickles me to think about them as I knew them and it's nice to be remembered by them.

Some people will miss me, others won't, some love me, others hate me, that's just life. As I sometimes say about music "if you do a good job they will say you are a great guitarist for about two weeks - if you stink up the joint they will say you suck for about two weeks. Either way, the buzz only lasts two weeks."

If I get to the other side and am able to think about it, I am not going to say "I wish I had worked more". or "I wish I would have bought that car". "I wish I had bought that house".

The last thing I say to my wife in the morning as I leave for work is "I love you, I'll call you". And I do, I call her at lunch time. And I call her when I am on my way home. I don't want to think I didn't make the most of the time I had with her.

My grandmother lived to be 101. That doesn't make 82 sound too old. She would have probably said something like "Listen here, sonny..."

Whatever time you have left, spend it, spend all of it. You won't be sorry, I promise.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Sonny Jenkins wrote: I think I've read every NDE (near death experience) there is record of,,,Dr. Moody's books, Dr. Eben Alexander etc.
I've read Dr. Raymond Moody's book "Life After Life." This is a study of people who died in hospitals, but were brought back, and what they experience during the time they were technically dead. I think it is the closest thing we will ever get to scientific proof of the existence of God, but at the same time, it dispels all religious dogma.

I may have been born Jewish, but I'm now an agnostic.

I think that the only thing that matters is how we treat others. If we act responsibly, and are honest and fair and compassionate, it it makes no difference what or even if we believe.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

I won't explain my beliefs but I do believe in an afterlife and a Surpreme Being. I've had discussions with people who say they felt that life just ended at ones last breath or heartbeat. They also said that they never hurt of killed anyone or robbed a bank or any other such act. They just don't believe in a "god".
Basically most of us believe in ethical or moral behavior
Well I do believe and if I'm wrong and my friends are right and I've lived my life as a believer I've lost nothing, I just cease to exist. If I'm right and my friends are wrong they may have lost their eternity to something or place very unpleasant.
Dickie Whitley

Post by Dickie Whitley »

I have my beliefs but I'm not going to express them unless someone asks me. I don't believe in "pushing" my beliefs on anyone, but I'll present them if asked and explain why. It's up to each individual to make that decision. Sorta like Ben says, if I try to live my life in accordance with the Bible, what have I lost? I still live life to the fullest, love, play PSG, etc.

To each his own, regardless of your beliefs, you still have my respect for them.
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Mike, I think perhaps we're all born agnostic. What we come to believe happens later.

Thank you all for some interesting reading. I believe there is more (purpose) to life than just what we do here on Earth; that this place isn't here by accident and only for what is revealed here.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
Richard Smelker

Post by Richard Smelker »

I am a born again Christian, but like others have said, I don't push my beliefs on others. I believe that God sends people to you that are ready to hear the message and He gives you the words to say to them. I also believe that you need to respect others beliefs.

I am pleased that we can have a discussion on this subject and keep it respectful - just another reason I enjoy the forum!

And if you get a chance, go to a cowboy church -I play in the cowboy church band here in Texas and it's different from most churches - we have pedal steel, mandolin, fiddle, guitar, drums and upright bass plus 6 singers and we have a great time picking and grinning for the Lord :D
Richard Smelker
assorted 6 & 12 string guitars, Sho-Bud Maverick to play on, a Roland Cube 80Xl, a Peavey 130, Digitech digital Delay, distortion pedal, Melotron pedal, Keyboards and a MOYO pedal.
A new DAW system that I'm using to create a Christian music CD of original songs. Ordained Minister, Riding for the Brand of Jesus Christ.
Dale Ware

afterlife

Post by Dale Ware »

As one 69 years old and not expected to reach 69 1/2 I have lived all of my life as a believer and most of it as a Christian. I have lived a good life and have no regrets. I have been married to the same wife for almost 50 years and have two wonderful children with succesful careers. All of that just to say that I have come to the conclusion that this life is given us for the opportunity to chose where we will spend eternity. I hope everyone chooses well. Dale
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Without injecting religious beliefs or non-beliefs, I do think that the end of life was purposefully left a mystery. Of course, we can use average life expectancies as a general guide. But, wouldn't it drive you bat crazy if you knew the actual expiration date?
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Dino Strunk

Post by Dino Strunk »

While I am a Christian, I always try to respect everyone else's choices and opinions. ..as long as they don't try to force them on me. And yes, this includes 'over the top' Christians as well.

I'm a sinner just like everyone else on this earth, and I believe we are all just a tiny speck...too small and naive to understand the big picture of all that surrounds us, not to mention our creation to begin with.

The smartest scientists on earth haven't even touched the surface of our existence. Sure, they can tell us how things work in most aspects, but they can't tell us WHY they work like they do. For an example, we all know a sperm and an egg can create a life, but do we really know WHY it can create a life to begin with? I believe someone of a much higher power than we can even begin to comprehend had to "create the recipe" if you will. I believe it's this way for all aspects of our life.

Bringing it down to "our level" for example, we all know how our instruments are made. We've all learned over the years through trial and error, that by using certain woods, certain metals, a certain building process, etc. that we can create a good instrument. But can we really explain what created the tree the wood came from, or why it has acoustical properties to begin with? That's why when I walk outside the door of my house and I look around at nature, I cannot believe that there was a 'big bang' and it all appeared through it's own chance happening. To me, it just confirms that there is a creator.

As far as the Bible goes, I look at it as an 'owners manual" for my life. Sure, I have questions...I think everyone does. For example, was there really a flood that destroyed the world? I don't know...I wasn't there. But I do know that if you really look at what the Bible says for all it's worth, and if we're honest with ourselves, it's always correct when it comes down to how we should live our lives and what the consequences are if we don't.

Take the 10 Commandments for example. The laws of the land are based on these. And we see what happens, the chaos created, when these laws are ignored and broken. Without these, along with the other morals handed down by God, we would live like wild animals in society. Why? Because we wouldn't know any better. That's why he gave them to us. It's too deep. Man can't comprehend it in order to create them for himself. So, that being said, if God wrote the Bible and he is the TRUE GOD, then you can't believe parts of the Bible as being true and other parts not. It's either all or none.

Many think that the Bible is a man made fairy tale. But what about the ones who were there to witness it all? The Bible has been around for Thousands of years and still stands. If it wasn't truly Holy, I doubt it would have lasted 50 years without being proven so. Also, the Bible was written by chosen men in different parts of the world who didn't even know each other, yet the books all fit together with no contradictions.

Sorry. I know I've went on and on here, I don't mean anyone to think I've said all of this in order to persuade anyone. These are just some of the MANY reasons why I think like I do. That's all I'm saying.
Dino Strunk
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

It takes a lot of faith to be an atheist, what if you're wrong? :whoa:

I believe that some day everyone will meet Jesus but for some it will be too late.
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

I quit believing in fairy tales a long time ago.
Dino Strunk

Post by Dino Strunk »

I agree Rick. We would go crazy if we knew these things. God protects us by leaving certain things a mystery. That also goes hand in hand by living on faith. Think about it a minute. God is love. He loves us and desires our love in return. He doesn't force us to love him, because true love cannot be created through force. Now, If God was to totally remove the mystery of his existence; if he showed up and said "Hey everyone...I'm God...here let me prove it", and did so, then would we really truly love God or would we love him for what we can get out of the deal? In a way it's like a lot of parents trying to 'buy' their children's love. It doesn't work. We show our true love through faith.
Dino Strunk
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Ransom,
I quit beliving in electricity years ago also.
I just couldn't see it. :whoa:
Dino Strunk

Post by Dino Strunk »

Very true Erv. A gambling man would say your odds are 50/50. If you choose to believe, you risk nothing. But if you choose to deny, then you'd better be 100% sure you are correct!! Your soul's eternity depends this one bet!!
Dino Strunk
Sid Hudson

Post by Sid Hudson »

I am frequently puzzled by those that are non believers, doubters, etc…

I hear comments like:
"If there were a God, why would he allow ---------------?"
"If there were a God why, ---------------?"
"I believe------------."
"I feel---------------."
"I think--------------."

The emphasis is always on "I"

As for me, I understand that my mind is of the human kind with all its limits.

If we can’t master the C6 like Buddy Emmons, how in the world could we ever understand the mind of God that created everything from your finger nail to the stars in the sky?

Answer: Faith
Last edited by Sid Hudson on 24 Mar 2013 11:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jack Ritter

Post by Jack Ritter »

I watched my Beloved Wife of 53 years die with pancreatic cancer just this last September and it took this horrible experience for me to accept Jesus Christ as my Saviour and Redeemer. I accomplished this wonderful experience just before she died and she went to her Lord peacefully. She was Baptised at an early age. I was Baptised immediately after her funeral. The lonliness of living alone is hard to to deal with and if it wasn't for the strength of my Lord, I don't know what I would do.
Gene, I turned 78 years last November and I have all my affairs in order and, as every one has the right to make their own decisions, I am glad I know and accepted my Savior and Lord and that I will be reunited with Him and my loved ones when I leave this life here on earth. This He has promised ! Until he takes me to my eternal home, I am going to keep on living my life and continue steelin', which helps a bunch! This is my personal opinion. Jack
Zum D10 8x5,rev pre-amp, TC M300, Split 12, n-112, IZZY, Hilton vp, Geo L, BJS Hughey, Live Steel
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

My life's plan:
1. Learn how to live
2. Learn how to die
and then, finally
3. Learn how to fly :D
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Sid Hudson wrote: If we can’t master the C6 like Buddy Emmons, how in the world could we ever understand the mind of God that created everything from your finger nail to the stars in the sky
b0b, before you lock it down...here's the steel guitar content :wink: Just sayin'
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Erv Niehaus wrote:It takes a lot of faith to be an atheist, what if you're wrong? :whoa:

I believe that some day everyone will meet Jesus but for some it will be too late.
I believe that God will accept atheists with the same love with which he/she/it accepts people of all religions, be they Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Zoroastrians, Rastafarians, and people who worship Elvis Presley.

I do not believe God is a bigot.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

So - if we're non-believers why does that disqualify us for all the alleged benefits (afterlife, etc)?

If this god some of you speak of is truly all-forgiving then surely he'd be able to accept some scepticism and just put it down to mental weakness?

Doesn't living with a sound sense of morality or right-and-wrong and trying to live without harming others qualify us - believers or not - for the benefits that may be waiting for us?

(Or: What Mike said!!!)
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------