My new Richenbacher DC-16

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

I'll bet you're seeing binding at the nut. You test for this by pulling the string on each side of the nut as you test the tuning.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Post by Jean-Sebastien Gauthier »

I'm sorry Stephen, its because my English is not so good but I don't understand what you mean.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

J-S, sorry for the short message... I was on my phone, hard to type with the small keyboard! I have to assume that your strings are well-locked to the tuner posts and stretched properly, and that your neck bolts are tight and the necks are not moving around... if the tuners themselves are not slipping then you must have binding at the nut.

1. Binding at the nut: where the string gets stuck going over the nut... it can't slide freely.

2. Testing for this:
a. tune the string
b. push on the string behind the nut, release
c. test the tuning
d. pull on the string in front of the nut, release
e. test the tuning, note changes

I don't have a guitar with a Bakelite nut so I don't know how to handle this for you. On my guitars I lubricate the nut slots with pencil lead, this helps. This is the reason that PSG's have roller nuts.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Ho yes Stephen, thanks a lot to taking the time to explain. Yes I have to check for all the reason it dont stay in tune. I used the pencil lead trick on the nut of my stracocaster and it help a lot when using the tromolo.

I done some checks like bending the strings ect. But the temparture change seems to affect it the most, where I live its -20 deg celsiusin the winter so I really have to wait for is temparature to adjust from place to place, after that it stay in tune relatively well but it can vary from a semitone from place to place, like a 20 deg celsius house to a 35deg hot light bar stage!

But thaks for the suggestion, I will try the pen lead for sure.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

J-S, OK... sounds like you don't have a nut binding problem!

I just checked this website:

http://www.customthermoelectric.com/Mat ... erties.htm

Bakelite has essentially the same thermal expansion characteristics as pure Aluminum... but does appear different enough from steel. If it is thermal, then you'll just have to keep it warm! Good luck.
Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Hi folks, just as an update, I made a gig in a small bar yesterday with my Rickenbacher DC-16 and a Gibson BR-9 amp and it was great! I was in tone heaven! Horseshoe pickups in a little 8inch field-coil speaker its amazing.

I'm now used to the little particularity of de DC-16 and I will don't make any change on it, I just have to always have a tuner to tune it between songs and let it warm on my lap before playing.
David Matzenik

Post by David Matzenik »

I repaired the bridge of my B6 with epoxy resin filled with Cabosil powdered silica and then died black with epoxy die from a marine store. It was a great success. Sounds wonderful and looks good.
Don't go in the water after lunch. You'll get a cramp and drown. - Mother.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

<--------- shoot me
Ray Montee

How 'bout that!

Post by Ray Montee »

Mr. Gauthier.......

I too, discovered what a wonderful combination those small 8 inch "ROLA" and/or Jensen speakers are when coupled with a Rick Bakelite.

They've got more musical range than anyone might ever chance to imagine. Subdued highs and really deep bass tones. ENJOY!

REALLY GREAT Dynamics!!!
Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Yes absolutely Ray!! I have the Rola speaker and its a lot better than I imagine! I fear that I will turn in a vintage gear junky!