ShoBud pedal steel on Pawn Stars

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

I viewed that show again last night, and the guitar looked like it originally had three floors, and two knees. Everything else looked like "add on's".

The "expert" that evaluated the guitar admitted he knew nothing about pedal steels except that they are extremely difficult to play.

I believe the $1500 offered for this guitar was an adequate offer from someone who had to re-sell it at a profit.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

It absolutely had more than three floors on it when it was new. Most likely 6-8.
Allen Kentfield

sh0-bud on pawn stars

Post by Allen Kentfield »

Tell the young guys; "It's what Robert Randolph plays." :roll: 8 8) :P :lol:
Karen Sarkisian

Post by Karen Sarkisian »

just saw this episode of pawn stars. someone needs to tell the seller about the forum !
Emmons PP, Mullen G2 and Discovery
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Quite a few Shobuds were built with the first three pedals being narrower, and closer together. Check out this Fingertip that Ricky restored. Note that the 3rd pedal also had the quite common cut corner. Also check out that the pedal rods are more closely spaced, which means the undercarriage crossrods are also closer together. Fairly common.

Here are three pedal racks, the one on top is my Fingertip. See the closer spacing, and clipped 3rd pedal? Factory stock. 1st pedal rod isn't hooked on, as I was foolin' with the clip.

Gary Spaeth

Post by Gary Spaeth »

at first i thought it wasn't worth much and obsolete but then i realized all the hits lloyd green and hal rugg played on with their fingertips. could be a great nostalgia sound for someone emulating 60's country. i remember lloyds "cool steel man" album with his sbft on the cover. his e9 pedals were closer as well. get shivers thinking about it. ya i want one.