6 String Lap Steel vs. Dobro technique

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ulrich Sinn

Post by Ulrich Sinn »

My 0.02c:

My dobro starts to speak very differently when the right hand plays rather aggressively.

This in combination with the different string spacing makes (IMHO) for two almost entirely different instruments. My lap steel has very narrow string spacing, like a uni pedal steel.

Took quite a long time for me to sort of hit the intended strings just by muscle memory, not even mentioning the different images in my brain for two different tunings.

Switching between dobro and lap steel is a little bit like switching from a classical/nylon stringed guitar to an electric guitar.
Redline Resophonic
MSA Superslide 12-string Reece Anderson tuning, dropped down to B
MSA “The Universal” in Reece Andersons Bb universal tuning, raised to B
TomKat Amp
how I earn a living
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Edward Meisse wrote:I got to Randy's page. But I couldn't find the recording. Forum member Billy Cardine has done some great trad jazz recordings in G though. They may still be available on free download.
Thanks for your interest Ed. I have shared the short video (56 seconds) just now on my Facebook page so it should be at or near the top, depending on when you get there.

Quite a contrast from what Billy Cardine has been doing. I characterize what Randy does in the video from Bill Asher at 3rd & Lindsley as sort of bluesy chicken pickin'

https://www.facebook.com/mark.eaton.359
Mark
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

Nothing showing for me on your timeline after August 8th. Something must be going wrong for one of us.
Amor vincit omnia
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

It's the most recent posting. May try clearing your browser's cache.

h
Howard Parker

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Michael James

Post by Michael James »

I know this is a little off topic. I use Cma11 tuning Low to High-CEGBDF. When I first started messing with the tuning a watched some Dobro instructional videos on you tube. I found in interesting that with some slight modifications I could play most of licks demonstrated with the Cma11 tuning. After all strings 432 are GBD. I have a long way to go in developing my dobro technique. But I feel no need to re tune to play Dobro stuff.