What type of volume pedal

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Earnest Bovine wrote:I care about everybody, and I love kittens too.
I feel the love, man... after all, we ARE the world, right? We are the children! :)
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Ray Anderson

Post by Ray Anderson »

@Herb, Don't tell me you're one of those leftover-thrown back, die hard Hippies! What about that Woodstock- that was a charge. :lol: :lol: ;-) If some of these younger guys only KNEW!!! :whoa:
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Just a TU-2, not really a buffer, but seems to isolate it enough from the pot.
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Bob Mainwaring

What Type Of Volume Pedal

Post by Bob Mainwaring »

After many years of playing/using a pot' pedal I ended up with a Hilton Pedal a few years ago......it was the best move for me and just have the spare pot' pedal in the back of my van - "just in case" there ever is a problem.
The way that I pack everything up after the gig especially anything with a step-down-transformer is I wrap the wire carefully around the transformer "plug-in" box, but unfortunately after quite some time of doing this every weekend - the wire becomes bare or pulls out of the box. Maybe I should mount it onto a board with a "mains" connector directly from it.
It's just a bug at the time, but inexpensive to replace with a new one.......luckily I've had no problem with the actual pedal and just love it......Many thank's Keith Hilton - they're the best :D :D :D

All Z.B.est.

Bob Mainwaring.
Norman Boling

Can you imagine what Emmons..

Post by Norman Boling »

Curly, Loyd, Ol Speedy, Ralph, Papa John, and others might have sounded like if they had something other than a dang pot pedal back in the day???

My Sho-Bud pedal and a Tommy Bradshaw pot works well....and likely will for a long long time.
Howard Steinberg

Post by Howard Steinberg »

I've used a couple of Dearmond pot pedals along with a Goodrich Matchbox for about 25 years. I've changed out pots maybe 3 times. It's not so easy to get replacement pots that have a long enough shaft to work with these pedals. The pot that Tom Bradshaw sells on his site will work. I have one of these but hven't had time to install it

I had an opportunity to try the big chrome Fender passive volume pedal. It has a nice feel and seems to work well with the Matchbox. You can get one new for $70., shipped, on ebay. So far I'm really liking this pedal.

I've thought about the Hilton and maybe i would like it. On the other hand the pot pedal has worked for me for a long time.
Justice Pro Lite (4-5), Justice D-10 (8-5)x2 , Quilter Steelaire, Hilton Pedal, BJ's bar.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

I did have the opportunity not long ago to compare the Emmons 500k pot pedal with a Goodrich "Steel Man" light-beam pedal and a new Hilton IR pedal, using each for a few songs at a local get-together at "The Barn" here in Portland. I have sincere appreciation for the merits of each and really wanted to explore the differences in tone and feel. The guitar used was an Emmons with George L 10-1 pickups.

The bottom line is that while I found that I can adjust to the sound and feel of each one fairly quickly to get "my" sound, in the end the transparency and adjustable response of the Hilton was the one that was the most satisfying once I made that adjustment, due to the increased clarity and a sense that it simply responded faster to the actions of my fingers.

Regardless, I'm still using an old 500k Ernie Ball pedal with my ShoBud for everything I do with Ron Rogers because the Hilton - and the Emmons - is too clean sounding for that particular application. There's a reason for everything and nobody can tell you that what they do is right for what you may be doing at any particular time....