Are You A Curly Chalker C6th Fan?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

Absolutely!!!!!!
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Mitchell Smithey

Steel jam location

Post by Mitchell Smithey »

Hi Dave, the steel show in Dallas was at a club called The Western Place. I was there.
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

Yes !
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

Yes !
Keith DeLong

Post by Keith DeLong »

All I have for C6th is an old 6-string lap steel--never gonna get all those chords with that, but I can dream--living with a single neck E9th. If you only saw Curly on Hee Haw, you may never realize what a genius he was. Loooove those chords!
Gary Walker

Post by Gary Walker »

The first time I heard Curly play was in the early sixties on the "Travis" album. His playing on a Fender 1000 D-8 is still able to put goosebumps on me. He did some Capital sessions that still amaze me and when BillBoard magazine announced a solo album on Columbia by him, I couldn't wait. When "Big Hits On Big Steel" came out, it was and still is, the greatest steel album ever.(Okay, my opinion, but I still stand by it)
I saw him play live in July,69 at the Longhorn Ballroom and it was beyond great. Of all my steel heros, he rises to the top.
Last edited by Gary Walker on 3 Jul 2011 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Johnny Cox and I were and still are probably some of Curly's most avid fans. The poster said Curly's strong point was C6th. Not true, Curls' strong point was music, pedal steel and the knowledge of both on E9th or C6th. Curly played for music's sake, nothing else. One of the best ever! :)
Last edited by Tommy White on 4 Jul 2011 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

100% what Tommy said. Curly could play any type of music. Played great 6 string guitar as well. You can hear him on scotty's LP if memory serves me right {and it seldom does}. I think he's on the cut Misty. Also i think curly played sax? My main influence for attempting to play C6th was Mr Chaulker. I recall scotty's convention out at the Howard Johnson's. And i sat on the floor right next to curly, watching his every move. He didn't hide anything back then, tuning or other wise. As far as your question goes dave, i play C6th, and only C6th. Just where my interest is i guess.
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

Tommy hit right on the head, I was raised on Curly!!!..he played with excitement, drive, and taste... Like no other before or after him...........there will only be One Curly Chalker....
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

Yep

Love all his music.

R2
Bill Ladd

Post by Bill Ladd »

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Curly (with Jimmy Capps) from the Wilburn Brothers:
http://youtu.be/eISAlX7QMTY
Charles Curtis

Curly Chalker

Post by Charles Curtis »

I believe that Curly also played the trumpet.
Anne Giroux

Post by Anne Giroux »

I was fortunate to attend a jam session in Nashville with Curly Chalker years ago and was overwhelmed with his talent on both C6th & E9th. In fact when I bought my Fender 1000 (now I'm dating myself) it had the Curly Chalker copedent on the 6th, but being a beginner I wasn't familiar with that tuning and changed it to what I was familiar with. We all make mistakes!!!
Anne
Tracy Sheehan

Curly reply:

Post by Tracy Sheehan »

I posted this a long time ago but will again as more players appear to be becoming familiar with Curly Chalkers genius on steel. About 1964 as i recall i was in the black poodle i think was the name of the club in printers alley in Nashville.

George Morgan sang Danny Boy with the only back up being Curly filling in with monster fat chords. George didn't even strum his guitar. When he got down we were chatting and i told him he should record it the exact same way. He said he planed on doing just that but Ray Price had recently recorded it. Was the most amazing thing i had ever saw and heard. Tracy
Jay Jessup

Re: Curly Chalker

Post by Jay Jessup »

Dave A. Burley wrote:Part of the reason that I posted the question is that I really am curious as to how many of the steelers on the Forum play the C6th neck along with the E9th, G9th or whatever.
Thanks,
Dave A. Burley
If it weren't for the C6 sound I would have lost interest in pedal steel before I ever really got rolling on it and if you like C6 sound, sooner or later you have to stumble across Curly and it's just about impossible not to be amazed once you hear him.
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

10-4 Absolutely !! :)
Bill
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

Curley was/is scarey good. I heard some great -- fun -- stories about him years ago. This world could use a few more Curleys about now...
I need an Emmons!
Dave A. Burley

Curly Chalker C6

Post by Dave A. Burley »

Boy it's great to see so many steelers still looking up to the master of chords, Curly Chalker.
I know many pedal steel players that play just a one neck E9th. One of them also plays jazz bass. Go figure that.....E9th steel and good jazz bass. This player plays fantastic E9th but I don't think that he realizes that he could also be playing great C6th. He is planning on getting a double neck and I can hardly wait until he starts discovering this great new sound. Probably many of the E9th players would be great on the C6th but don't realize it. Give it a shot. Listen to some Chalker, Anderson and some of the other greats. Pick their brains. You might come out of that closet playing Foggy Day, Lady Be Good, Body and Soul and many other great jazz tunes and end up with a new life as a musician.
Thanks,
Dave A. Burley
Dave A. Burley
P.O. Box #211
Franklin, Ind. 46131

Buddy Emmons/Jimmy Bryant live $15.00 includes shipping.
It's The First Time(studio)$15.00 includes shipping.
Curley Chalker/Julian Tharpe live $15.00 includes shipping.
the Cavalcade Of Guitars live $16.00 includes shipping.
Pay by PayPal to: dab7875159@aol.com
mike nolan

Post by mike nolan »

I'm such a big fan.... even now that I kinda know what he was doing, it's still magic.
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

Count me in!
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Hey Dave, would you like to trade a copy of the DVD I made of Curly for the CD you produced?
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Dan Sliter

Post by Dan Sliter »

On the top of my list!!!!!!!!
Paul Wade

curly c.

Post by Paul Wade »

was one of the first i listen too 28 years ago wow :whoa: :whoa: big fan here :D

p.w
Michael McGee

Post by Michael McGee »

Tommy White wrote:Johnny Cox and I were and still are probably some of Curly's most avid fans. The poster said Curly's strong point was C6th. Not true, Curls' strong point was music, pedal steel and the knowledge of both on E9th or C6th. Curly played for music's sake, nothing else. One of the best ever! :)
Amen, Tommy!

Quite often, I go out at night and look into the heavens to remind myself I see but don't comprehend the magnificence of creation.

Quite often, I listen to 'Big Hits on Big Steel' to remind myself I hear but don't comprehend the magnificence of Mr. Chalker.
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

Les Paul told me Curly was his favorite steel player.