What is the best volume pedal? I'm shopping.

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

I believe that they are a new PEC- I have them for sale as does Goodrich I believe.
Tom Bradshaw

Best pots?

Post by Tom Bradshaw »

I will soon have two new Dunlop pots for purchasing. They will be 250K and 500K, both with audio tapers. Unlike the pots I've been selling (and will continue to sell), these pots will have the standard side-mounted soldering lugs. Just like the 470K Dunlop pots I provide, they will provide a million cycles of use (probably more). I doubt that any pots can out-class this trio for durability. In addition, these two new pots will have 15 degrees on each end of their rotation that will be fully "off" and fully "on". This will allow for easier setting of full "off" and full "on" when replacing a worn out pot.

And speaking of wearing out, I know of only one person who has truly worn out one of the Dunlop pots I've been selling for nearly 6 years now. I asked him about that. He said he practices 4 hours a day, 7 days a week. I guess that could do it!

I am offering the 250K audio-taper pots for those electric guitarists who stand and move about on the bandstand and don't like to hear their cords sliding along the floor, making telephonic sounds though their amps. Ans, rhere's quite enough resistance in a 250K pot to turn their guitar's volume completely off.

I'll have these new pots on my web site very soon. Stand by. ...Tom
David Rupert

Telonics....without any doubt!!

Post by David Rupert »

I was in the market for a new volume pedal, around 2 months ago. Fortunately, Telonics is located in Mesa, Arizona. Mesa...is only 20 minutes away from where I'm at.
So, I drove to Telonics. A large company, that specializes in high technology equipment. Such as GPS devices; tracking devices for animals that are being studied & monitored, electronic monitoring bracelets...for "bad guys" on parole, etc. Very impressive company.
Anyway, I walk to the door, & someone takes me to "music room." I walk in...& I'm suddenly in "Pedal Steel...Heaven." Pedal Steel Guitars, Amplifiers, Speaker Cabinets, etc. All...high-end equipment.
I played a Red Mullen, to test-drive the Telonics Volume Pedal. I own a Mullen, so I chose to play the Red Mullen. Anyway, I played it...for quite awhile. I was sold, on the Telonics...in only a short amount of time. It sounded excellent, had a great feel to it, very smooth & balanced action.
I didn't have to think about it. I purchased it, right there...& took it home. I've never been so impressed...& happy with an electronics product, since I purchased my Peterson StroboFlip Tuner! A truly amazing volume pedal!! I really, love my Telonics Volume Pedal!! FP-100A. So, I would highly recommend the Telonics Volume Pedal, any day!! This truly is, an extremely impressive device. I love my Telonics Volume Pedal!
Sorry...for such a long post. But, when asked about volume pedals...I really, can't say enough...regarding Telonics.
Take care...& be well.
David "DJ" Rupert

"Music. Without it, life itself...would be impossible."

ZumSteel - Encoreâ„¢ S-10 / 3p x 5k (Two-Tone; Red & Black Top).
Rolandâ„¢ Cube 80x Amp, Hilton Volume Pedal, TC Electronicsâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay, TC Electronicsâ„¢ MojoMojoâ„¢ Overdrive, Peterson StroboPlus HD Tuner, D2F Covers. Evans JE-300 Amp. (in the not too distant future).

Most Importantly: the musicians hands...& soul.

http://www.bandmix.com/pedal-steel-75/
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

I hate to dis-agree with any opinion,we are all brothers :D.... But i don't think 'Budget is the boss' not in the long run, save a $100.00 today and be buying pots and rope forever.

I keep my car loaded all year around so my gear is subject to 40 degree's below zero and up to 100 degree's in the summertime. Pot's don't like that these days, they scratch out with rodeo dust, and moisture, and smoke, and mud etc. I will say.... A pot has a bit more of a smoother sound, but not enough to make it feasible. Pots $30.00 A PEICE, plus hassle and rope replacement.

I went hilton years ago and don't regret going the extra mile, 5 years playing 46 week a year and still kickin, never been opened up, it's few beers and whiskeys more, but your saving... So who'really is the boss :D :D
Last edited by Larry Bressington on 10 Mar 2011 4:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A.K.A Chappy.
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

:eek:
A.K.A Chappy.
Rene Brosseau

Volume pedal

Post by Rene Brosseau »

I used a goodrich 122 for 20 yrs & changed pot the 2 x. It works & sounds great. Then I bought a Franklin stereo pedal that also sounds great & attaches to my Franklin. The difference? The goodrich has 1 1/2" of travel & the Franklin only 1" of travel.I really prefer the goodrich because you've got that extra 1/2" of travel for more sustain & a lot more "oumph", "power", you know, "balls"! check the amount of travel when you're looking...good luck...Rene
Franklin #130, Melobar Skreemer, Wechter Scheerhorn Resonator, Nashville 112, Boss DD 3 &/or Profex II
baxter vaughan

Post by baxter vaughan »

i have a goodrich ldr and a hilton. both are very good and reliable pedals. i will never go back to the hassle of a pot pedal again. i have seen a telonics..wow..21st century technology to the max! but, again, very pricey. in their defense though, i think you definately get what you pay for.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I have used a Goodrich LDR2 for many years (maybe 10) and a couple years ago, bought a Hilton low profole pedal, I actually like the Goodrich better overall, but the Hilton is more comfortable by being a low profile pedal.

I do think a good pot pedal with a good pot is also good.

Now, the Telonics pedal. I have never tried one, but I think $500 or more for a freakin' volume pedal is ridiculous (hell, I thought close to $300 for the LDR2 or Hilton was steep). I don't care if it can emulate the tapers of the Emmons, Goodrich, Sho~Bud, enter any name you like here. If it was that important that I have a pedal with an identical taper to say, and Emmons pedal, I would buy an Emmons pedal.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jeff Valentine

Post by Jeff Valentine »

If you have the money I'd go with the Telonics Pedal. Dealing with Dave Beaty at Telonics is a real pleasure. If not, Hilton makes a very good pedal as well. Ultimately it's best to try as many as you can before purchasing one, but sometimes that's not so easy to do.

-Jeff
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Maybe they are all the best..

But for me the Goodrich 120 is the best because I don't need to plug the dang thing in. Call me simple, I don't mind. Yeh I know it works off of a string, invented in the olden days...

I also have a Goodrich LDR which I never brought to a gig, it's part of my home practice/recording rig. Sound wise I'm pretty certain I can't tell the difference.

One thing I do know for sure, I don't play any better or worse with either one... :eek:
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website