ontrak

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Eldon Cangas

Post by Eldon Cangas »

WOW!
Paul Redmond

Post by Paul Redmond »

Roger - To make a S-12, I must slightly modify the heavy rib configuration on the changer-end endplate...that is, make a second foundry pattern. I wanted to "field-test" a S-10 for a few months before building a S-12. I used a 3/8" diameter changer axle on the prototypes which would be increased to 7/16" diameter for a 12-string guitar...not much of a difference, but way more than enough to do the trick when cross-sectional areas are totaled up. The other physical dimensions of the guitar would remain the same....7.00" wide and 27.50" overall length.
The main problem I have encountered with my prototype to date is that due to its just-over-22-pound weight, and using plastic leg tips, it skids on linoleum floors. I'm going to switch to the rubber leg tips and that should erase that problem for good.
While I'm convinced that many factors enter into the tone equation, I have concluded that the main one on this guitar is the 24.50" scale...not 25.00" or 24.25"...but the magical Fender 400 24.50" scale length. Other factors would, of course, include the wood neck/deck not being attached to the changer, the solid nut as opposed to using rollers, the G-L's 10-1 pickup and stainless strings, the shortness and resultant rigidity of the frame design, and integrally-cast endplate configuration.
I hope soon to be able to break away from my work enough to record a 4-track demo of this little guy. 'ebb' has agreed to post the sound tracks on the Forum for me when they are completed. At least one of those four tracks will include my recently-completed "Guit-Uke"...a 1932-vintage ukulele that my mother bought then and gave to me when I was seven. It was in bad need of restoration, but I didn't want to re-build it as a gut-string uke, so I made it a solid-body mini-guitar complete with adjustable tremolo bridge and Bill Rudolph pickup. It's tuned like a tenor guitar capoed at the 12th fret...DGBE, but one octave up. I wish I had a clone right now!!!
PRR
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Any sound samples yet? :D
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
John Groover McDuffie

Post by John Groover McDuffie »

Any progress in the last 2 years?
ebb

Post by ebb »

now that i am recently unemployed, as in forced early retirement, i should be able to cobble something together soon. i can report that i have pretty much abandoned my fender since receiving the ontrak which has a direct mapping of sneaky's b6 (with an added "f" lever)to 5 and 5 on a 10 string with 2 original bl 705s
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Looking forward to hearing it. Thanks Ebb. Since my wife graduated nursing school and is back at work I'm considering a brand new cutting edge steel machine. Hopefully Paul will be taking orders for the Ontrak. Hopefully early retirement is treating you well.
Dave Zirbel-
Sierra S-10 (Built by Ross Shafer),ZB, Fender 400 guitars, various tube and SS amps
John Groover McDuffie

And I'm hoping that over the last 2 years he has tooled up for an s-12!
Paul Redmond

Post by Paul Redmond »

John - You'll be happy to know that on Monday afternoon, I picked up a box of castings at the foundry. Among those castings are several sets of 12-string endplates. I have decided to put together a S-12 E9/B6 guitar...a prototype with 7 FP's and 6 KL's, plus the Sacred Steel lock. I have been questioned about the possibility of a 12-string guitar on numerous occasions recently. I want to see just how well a pull/release system adapts to that tuning and vice versa. It will admittedly be a tight squeeze, but well worth the try.
PRR
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post by Dan Beller-McKenna »

For what it's worth I know a Forumite who owns a 12 string Pull-Release guitar by George Sell (GHS) that seems to work very well. I believe it is a 5x4. In fact I would love to snag it from him if he decides to sell it at a time I have the funds(!) I love the pull release mechanism.
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:) Really nice work, outstanding machining,, a sound clip would be excellent...great to see something being done with teh pull release changer....Stormy. :mrgreen:
John Groover McDuffie

Paul, I play XE9 so my copedant is perhaps simpler than a full on Uni, FYI. I can get by with 5 and 4, some of my PSGs have 7 and 4.
Paul Redmond

Post by Paul Redmond »

The passing of my father on May 1st brought the 12-string project to a halt, but it will be resumed shortly. My sister is in from Montana and we collectively are handling what must be handled. That work is almost completed now and I should be able to get back onto the 12-string project soon.
PRR
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

Very sorry to hear of your loss Paul. My condolences to you and your sister.
Best wishes,
Ross
steve takacs

Paul's work on my ZB

Post by steve takacs »

Paul just finished a major, major master work for me, a total re;-work of my basket case ZB. The traditional ZB system was gutted and in it's place a Kline-like system.

Almost everything underneath was redone including made the pedal rack and legs. The lacquer work was also not ignored. Pickups, tuning keys and fret-boards and the wood were all that remained of the original. Otherwise the rest was all Paul's work. The ZB case was also made more steel guitar safe and wheels built into the case were added.

It was a true labor of love; I hope to post some photos prior to leaving for China in a few days. A thousand thanks once again, Paul.