How Many Play S10 C6 Pedal Steel

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Cass Broadview

Post by Cass Broadview »

George Redmon plays C6th exclusively. He plays a S12 whitney keyless, and a S12 Williams keyless. Both are 8floor pedals and 5knee levers. He plays mostly jazz, standards, and western swing. Power chords, and single string riffs.
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

Ryan Barwin wrote:Why would the pedals for S-10 C6th still be in the middle, like on a D-10? Is it just what you're used to? Or is it more comfortable? Personally, if I had a S-10 C6th guitar, I'd find it way more comfortable to have them much further left.

I have a Carter C6 5+5. It's set up with the Buddy Emmons changes with the addition of a lever to lower the G to an F. I WISH my pedals were farther to the right. Using my right foot, which C6 players do with some frequency is quite difficult with the pedals all the way to the left. I strongly recommend that anyone who orders a C6 S10 have the pedals put in position 2-7 or even 3-8. This was my first pedal guitar. Live and learn. I don't play country at all. Strictly jazz age pop. I would call it jazz. But modern jazz players don't consider it that.
Amor vincit omnia
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

When I first got my Carter, the pedals were all the way over at the left side. I had Carter move them to the middle, when they were adding some stuff that required an extensive re-rodding. I was tempted to try it myself, but a cooler head (mine) prevailed. If you life anywhere nearer to somebody who could assist with it in case of problems....
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

I'll have it done eventually. I'd never think of trying it by myself. Right now I don't want either the expense or the down time.
Amor vincit omnia
Doug Seymour

S10 C6

Post by Doug Seymour »

I played an Excel keyless S10 C6 for 10 years! This summer I sold it after buying a keyless GFI S12 & also a keyless GFI D10, so now I can go either way. I much prefer the D10, but my youngest son, Rich, plays guitar and when he gets his PHD @ USC in LA and has the time to study steel, I think he would pick up the extended E9th quickest? Good GFI sales and service from my nephew, Bobbe, at Steel Guitar Nashville. I waited 3 months for two pedal kits last year from Excel??
David Easley

co-pedant

Post by David Easley »

Sorry for the delayed response to the co-pedant question, Ryan and Rick. And now the upload button isn't working for me. It'd be easier if I could just upload the co-pedant but I can just tell you. From low to high: C F A C E G A C E G D F, (dipping back down for the D and F)

Pedal 1 raises the low F A C to G C D,
Pedal 2 raises the Lowest C to D and The high F to F#
Pedals 3 to 7 are the standard C6 pedals including the high G to Ab which I like a lot. (that's why I never went for the D there on my ten string)

LKR raises lowest G to Ab
LKV lowers both E strings a half-step
LKL raises the lowest E to F (same as the knee string on my Emmons)
RKR raises both A strings to Bb
RKL lowers highest C to B
Andrew Goulet

Fender 400

Post by Andrew Goulet »

I play an old Fender 400.
Doug Seymour

C6th

Post by Doug Seymour »

My first pedal steel was a multiKord & 2nd was a Fender 400 w/ 5 pedals, both were set up C6th. Much like the pedals on C6th we use now?
Eric Philippsen

Post by Eric Philippsen »

Anyone, I'm looking for an S10 C6th push-pull. It has to be a 10 string (oh, maybe a 12), a minimum 5+2 and, of course, an Emmons.

I guess this should go in the "Wanted to Buy" section but I thought it might target the best audience here.
Eric Philippsen

Anyone, I'm looking for an S10 C6th push-pull. It has to be a 10 string (oh, maybe a 12), a minimum 5+2 and, of course, an Emmons. I know there are other brands that are surely outstanding. I'm just an old push/pull guy though.

I guess this should go in the "Wanted to Buy" section but I thought it might target the best audience here.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Yes Eric, you might end up with two. :D
Eric Philippsen

Oops, looks like I did a double-post. Dunno how that happened. Oh, well, worse things than that could happen. Then again, maybe I WILL get two guitar offers!
Nicholas Ackron

Post by Nicholas Ackron »

Whats a C6th tuning for a S10 with 3pedals, 0 levers??? Is that possible???
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

C6 was originally a lap steel tuning, so of COURSE you could.
I'd suggest standard pedals 5, 6 & 7, that'd have you kickin' it pretty good
Others might suggest something different. I'd order a bunch of stuff from Palenscar or Yahl and run it up to 5 and a few if it were mine
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Norman Evans

Post by Norman Evans »

I play a modified E9/A6 tuning single neck w/3&5. I can still get the E9 licks and a lot of 6th licks. I just don't have the low bass strings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upe8bprd9Y0

Norm
Carl Mesrobian

Post by Carl Mesrobian »

I like the C6 on the D10, but not the schlepp factor of the D10 - I have a S10 E9 and will be getting another one shortly and am thinking of converting it to C6 and adding a couple more pedals.
--carl

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown
Richard Nelson

Wbs

Post by Richard Nelson »

Yeah . Ive got a WBS 6 and 6 . Built in Germany
Abe Levy

Post by Abe Levy »

I have a sunburst fender 400 set up C6. Pedals 5,6,7 and a pedal that's kind of like an Issacs pedal that gives me a few E9 style licks.
Mostly Pre-1970 guitars.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I have a couple S-10 PPs in C6. One is a '68 cuttail 6p/4k, the other is in a state of decision-making purgatory since it's an all original bolt-on with 6p and 0k.

Here's me in action in Phoenix this year with the '68.

My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Care to share the copedant on that '68, Herb?
b0b

Post by b0b »

I'll soon be taking delivery of an S-10 6+6 tuned to D6th, now being built. I prefer D6th for the brighter voicings. Same tuning, just a step higher. The 8-string D6th has been my gig axe for over 6 years now.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Ken Pippus wrote:Care to share the copedant on that '68, Herb?
Standard 5 pedals on p.2 through p.6, p.1 raises s.10 to D and s.6 to F.

Levers are the standard Emmons changes, though Buddy reversed the directions of the LKs

LKL raises s.4 A-Bb
LKR lowers s.4 A-Ab
RKL lowers s.3 C-B
RKR raises s.3 and s.7 C-Db

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

That must require a fair bit of tuning "underneath" on a push pull. Gives you all the goodies, though.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Herb Steiner wrote:RKR raises s.3 and s.7 C-Db
Why do you call it Db? It seems to me that it's mostly used as a 3rd above the root tone A. Shouldn't it properly be called C#?
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

b0b wrote:
Herb Steiner wrote:RKR raises s.3 and s.7 C-Db
Why do you call it Db? It seems to me that it's mostly used as a 3rd above the root tone A. Shouldn't it properly be called C#?
Well, I guess so. That IS another use for it, I admit.

:lol: