Which Johnny Bush CD?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

The original cut of"Whiskey River"on RCA featured Weldon
Myrick on steel...on the whole album...

Johnny recorded 3 albums on RCA in the'70's...

"Whiskey River/There Stands the Glass"

"Here Comes the World Again"

"Texas Dance Hall Girl"

Weldon Myrick was the only steel player on all three
albums...I bought all three when they were released and still have them.

SH
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

Thanks Steve for the input. As I said above, the Whiskey River album I have on Delta label has to my ear, the same cut of Whiskey River as the RCA one, but Weldon is not listed as one of the steel players. Seems the info on the jacket is not very reliable. Sure sounds like Buddy to me on Put Me Out of My Memory, but Darrell is certain its Rick Price.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Personally, I haven't heard one Johnny Bush album that isn't exquisite as well as being a lesson in honky tonk country.

Among my favorites is a real rarity: In 2002 Johnny released Green Snakes on the New West Records label. The first 3,000 copies also included, on a separate CD an un re-mastered set of demo songs done in 1962, in Ft. Worth Texas. The demo session included Tom Morrell on steel and Willie Nelson on guitar. The songs recorded were: "If You Stand Too Close To Her", "The Living Dead", "The Girl You Used To Be", "If You Won't Think of You", "An Eye For an Eye", "The Blues are Coming Early Today", "I Die a Thousand Times", "I Could Be You" and "Between Heartbreak and Dawn".

Here's "I Die a Thousand Times" from that demo session:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJk-iSncPXY

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Steelin' for Jesus
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

I vote for "Johnny Bush Greatest Hits, Vol. 1" RCA Special Products DRC1-1125 with classic Weldon Myrick - Buddy Emmons and Curly Chalker. I couldn't find it for sale by an online store. You might contact the Ernest Tubb Record Shop. The only draw back to "Greatest Hits Vol 1" is there is no Jimmy Day who did some of his finest work with Johnny Bush.

("Jimmy Day's finest work" translates as the finest work done on the instrument.)

Green Snakes On The Ceiling; Texas Dance Hall Girl; Home In San Antone; Here Comes The World Again; That Rain Makin' Baby Of Mine; Pass Me By; Lord Let A Lie Come True; Muscatel Memories; Heaven't I Always; I Can Feel Him Touching You; There Stands The Glass; Stand By Me; We're Back In Love Again; Whiskey River; Toy Telephone; I've Just Destroyed The World; Jennifer; Half A World; I Really Don't Want To Know; Something Seems To Fall Apart Inside; Man With No Soul At All; Secret Love; Ease Me To The Ground; From Tennessee To Texas

"Man With No Soul At All" (January 1974 - Buddy Emmons on the pedal steel guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJcEf83ipoU
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Yep,"JB Greatest Hits Vol 1"is a compilation disc including some singles that didn't make it to albums...

Those are the sides with Emmons and Chalker...

SH