Promat

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

Good to see on line Damir, gimme a call sometime brother. God bless!! :)
A.K.A Chappy.
Chris Lang

Post by Chris Lang »

That said and great guitar though it may be, I still think it's kind of tacky to almost completely copy another company's design (including fretboard logo) and market it as your own.
Why is it tacky Tony?..........

It isn't.

But what is tacky is the very poor customer service that one gets from the so-called Emmons Company.

I'll take a Promat Emmons copy, over a Lashley any day!!

At least I know I will actually recieve the guitar!!

:x

Emmons....................

Whatever..
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Chris are the same guy that authored these:

- Posted 12 Dec 2009 quote Chris Lang -
If me, or anyone else can hurt Mullen business by simply questioning in my opinion....,then Mullen would not have been in business as long as they have.
- and-
That's called expressing an opinion.(unless you disagree, in which case you would call it "flapping your jaws") And if I'm not mistaken, we still live in a free country with freedom to express out ideas or opinions so long as we follow the rules on this forum.
- also Posted 5-20-10 by Chris Lang -
Why is it tacky Tony?
It isn't.
Sorry I don't agree with you. If somebody obviously copies a product w/o either getting permission from or giving due credit to, the original manufacturer.....that is less than ethical and in my opinion TACKY.
....But what is tacky is the very poor customer service that one gets from the so-called Emmons Company.
What in the H-E-double-hocksysticks does that have to do with this discussion? The only comparison between the 2 companies relevant to this thread is that Emmons, to my knowledge, has never COPIED any of Promat's designs.

If you want to malign Emmons' customer service there are plenty of other current threads for you to pile-on into. The only thing I know for sure re: that fiasco, is that Emmons has not taken the time to intelligently explain their side of the story. I'm not privy to all the facts, so I have no opinion.

What I do know is that, I've purchased 6 guitars and plenty of parts from Emmons without ANY problems. :whoa:
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

Looks like ProMat has moved the neck towards the front of the body on their S10. Wish my Emmons S10 push pull was like that, it would be more comfortable to play. Push pull S10's have their neck right in the center of the body...Jerry
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

while Promat is based on Emmons p/p, it does have significant things that are different, like material used to make a guitar or exmp. the changer fingers construction..there is many other things but I would not getting into it...is it an Emmons copy? yes.. 100%.? no ...

Db
Andy DePaule

Sorry to say I just sold mine.

Post by Andy DePaule »

Sorry to say I just sold mine.
The only steel I have ever owned that has slightly lighter action that my Promat was the custom made Mullen I bought at the same time.
The Promat I feel had slightly better tone and the sustain was quite a bit better.
That said, both are the finest steels I've had and I've had quite a few.

I was sorry to have to sell it, but such a fine instrument deserves to be if the hands of a good player. Thats is surly not me now. I never was anything but an enthused amateur who loved to play.
Will keep my Mullen in Oregon and my Star Guitar By Mark Giles in Saigon with the hope for a better future. :D

The only reason I sold it is that I've now been diagnosed with Parkinson's by four doctors including three neurologists.
Can't control my right hand fingers or thumb any longer. Having a toll on my building efforts also.
I have the best yet Neurologist at the VA hospital in Portland, a one hundred mile drive, but well worth the drive after the last Quack who had a different story every time I saw him and he wanted to argue with me about my symptoms every time I saw him.
The new doctor in Portland is great. She spent 2 hours with me the first time I saw her testing me and asking questions and Most Important, she listened!
She has had me increase my dosage by 50% gradually and that seems to help a little.
I can now get most of the way through a tune without playing the wrong string or not getting it at all. Not enough to be playing out again, but reason for hope.

There have been some experimenting with focused ultrasound that is showing a lot of promise for steadying the right hands of people with Parkinson's as well as Essential Tremors. I hope they will try to get me in that program? I will keep asking every time I see her.
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Dan Kelly

Post by Dan Kelly »

Andy - I am sorry to hear about these developments. It is good to hear that you have health care pros that care. That has to be somewhat of a consolation to you. It is amazing what can be done these days, so there is always reason to hope.
blah, blah, blah.
Hey You Kids! Get Off My Lawn!
blah, blah, blah.
Andy DePaule

Thanks Dan

Post by Andy DePaule »

Thanks Dan,
Worse things happen to people my age so I'm not about to complaining.
Not a painful thing except for my pride.
Gotta keep thinking science will find a way to improve things for me.
The focused ultrasound deal seems to be a huge help for some people...
They go in shaking and come out steady. Kind of like a shot of Jack Daniels! :lol: :D
Best wishes,
Andy
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
D. Scheindlin

Post by D. Scheindlin »

Well this thread shoulda stayed back in 2010 where it started! Just a wee bit acrimonious… But that aside, I’m very sorry to hear about your health issues Andy. Wishing you all the best and sincerely hoping you find success with the treatments.