Any More Buddy Emmons Surprises?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mark Wayne

Post by Mark Wayne »

Thanks E.
Frank Estes

Post by Frank Estes »

Thank goodness for Youtube! We can see several performances of "E" over 6 decades (1950s-2000s)! I wonder if he ever views them. BTW, the Bell Cove video with Hal is a must have!
Paul Crawford

Post by Paul Crawford »

Like most everyone else, I've spent hours learning techniques, studying tone, intonation, comping licks and tunes. I've grateful for Buddy the Teacher for all of this.

I've also learned, largely from this forum, just what an intivator and technical expert Buddy has been in the evolution of the instrument, the set ups, the electronics, and all of the technical aspects of the instrument that Buddy the Inventor has given us.

But for me, Buddy showed me what is possible with this instrument and how it can be applied to all of the others. For giving me the gift of new music, I will be indebted to Buddy the Musician for the remainder of my days.

Thank you for being my teacher.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

It's rather ironic that I would like to retire to play more steel, but Buddy retired to play less. :\

Well, I plan to give up accounting, so maybe Buddy could take up accounting as a hobby. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

Forumites can do a search to find Buddy's posts, they are very interesting reading.
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Post by Jim Lindsey (Louisiana) »

Ernie, thanks for the update and the information on Buddy's retirement. Buddy has given so much of himself to the world of steel guitar and his retirement is well earned and deserved. Here's hoping for many years of sheer happy times ahead for Buddy as he enjoys his retirement.

I feel so blessed to be a part of a generation of steel players to have been able to witness a lot of Buddy's career as it happened and unfolded. Gary Hogue first introduced me to Buddy's music when I started playing steel in 1976 and he immediately became one of my great steel heroes.

I second what Charles Davidson said about Buddy as a person. I've only had the privilege to talk with Buddy a few times at steel shows during the '70s and '80s, but he was always the same each time; very friendly and down to earth. The first time I ever met Buddy was in 1977 at Scotty's convention and I'd been playing just under a year (I still have a photo Buddy generously took with me) ...
... one of the things that really impressed me about Buddy is how personable he is off stage as well as on stage; here I was a total newbie with little steel knowledge, yet Buddy spoke with me for quite a while as though I were one of his peers that'd he'd known for years, rather than like a star to a fan. At that moment I knew that the quality of "Emmons the man" was just as great as "Emmons the musician".

He's such an extraordinary man in every sense of the word. He's definitely always been one of my great inspirations in steel and always will be. Thanks, Buddy, for everything you've done for the steel community over the years ... and, enjoy your retirement. :D
1986 Mullen D-10 with 8 & 7 (Dual Bill Lawrence 705 pickups each neck)
Two Peavey Nashville 400 Amps (with a Session 500 in reserve) - Yamaha SPX-90 II
Peavey ProFex II - Yamaha R-1000 Digital Reverb - Ross Time Machine Digital Delay - BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Hey, Paul! I don't know if you caught this or not. It's another Buddy Emmons Surprise: The intro on Clinton Gregory's tune "The Jukebox Has a 45," is Buddy and he used a capo. ;-)

Tab and Audio is HERE in Tab from Buddy!

BTW: I just replaced the MP3 with a newer version. The old one cut out.
Also, I can't get the Real Audio file to work, even with a new RA player. I might just do away with them. :\

Thanks all of you for all the well wishes and understanding... ;-)
My best,
Ernie
www.BuddyEmmons.com
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Oh, and there's this... <center>Image
UPSIDE DOWN!</center>

And this... <center>Image
BEHIND THE BACK!</center>
My best,
Ernie
www.BuddyEmmons.com
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Great pictures, guys!

In a way I'm not surprised Buddy hasn't played much the last two years, especially in public. He has always been uncompromising when it comes to excellence & he's the only one that could ever come close to the standard he set.
Steve Alonzo Walker

Post by Steve Alonzo Walker »

I was at an Emmons Jam Show and when he got up for a break a good local Steeler sat down at Buddy's guitar that Buddy didn't change anything, and played a song. The guitar did not sound the same...just no life coming from it as when Buddy played it. This shows it's not the Guitar, it's the touch of a well seasoned player!
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Steve: that reminds me of the guy who bought a guitar from Jerry Byrd and complained that it sounded different when he got it home. There's no substitute for talent. I think mastery is inherent in some people from birth and no amount of practice will get the rest of us up to their standard.
Gary Sill

Thank you Buddy

Post by Gary Sill »

Thanks for giving us the tuning on the pedal steel and many of the pulls, and for being so insightful to spawn the development of the push pull guitar which still is the measuring stick for tone on newer guitar models. These two events by themselves were monstrous creative events in the history of pedal steel. Then there comes all the great music you played that motivated thousands of pedal steel players to take up steel and the masses to imitate your sound and licks, which of course is the greatest compliment to you of all. You set the stage for what has happened since! Thank you very very much Buddy.
Gary Sill
A beautiful Laquer Mullen G2, 2 Nashville 112's, Evans 10" R150 Amp,1982 Emmons Push Pull D-10, Hilton Pedals, 12/8 MSA Superslide, Green LDG Sho-Bud-Owned by Lloyd, S-6 Fender 1956 Lap. , Gretsch Country Gentleman, Gibson 5 string 2002 banjo, 1953 D8 Fender Stringmaster, reconditioned completely, red Gibson 2019, ES 335, Quilter Steelaire, Gretsch Resonator, Eastman mandolin
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

A question about Buddy's Bigsby....
Most guitars Paul built had the player's name on them. Why didn't Buddy's?
Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

Man that's the greatest player I'll probably ever hear in my life! I've heard a bunch and living in Nashville you can hear some good players but this guy is just a one of a kind. I'd know him on about any tune and that's the mark of somebody real special. I'd love to see him come out and play the local clubs like some of the other guys do. He sure wouldn't ever have to carry a thing, just sit there and smoke! It's a hell of thing to be the very best at what you do and he has been all of that and more! WOW!
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Roger;

Buddy replied: "My Bigsby was a copy of Speedy West's steel. Speedy had his name on a maple panel that matched the wood grain of the guitar and clamped onto the front legs. The legs on the (triple neck) Bigsby came straight down as opposed to being tapered outward from the back and front of the body, so the panel was straight down and made for a pretty classy looking front view. After a short while in Nashville, I quit putting the board on my guitar."

I hope that answers your question. ;-)
My best,
Ernie
www.BuddyEmmons.com
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Yep, and thanks a million!
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Buddy and his Bigsby with Casey Clark in Detroit. The front panel was on, but blocked from view.

<center>Image</center>

(A side note: Notice Jimmy Martin and the Osborne Brothers in the front row. They were regulars on the show.)

Enlarged a tad...
<center>Image</center>
My best,
Ernie
www.BuddyEmmons.com
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Is that Evelyn Clark? I don't see Billy in the picture.
Isn't Buddy cute?
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

BTW, Buddy also had this to say about the picture...

"That hat looks like with a good breeze I could lift off at any moment. The Flying Nun had nothing on me."

:D
My best,
Ernie
www.BuddyEmmons.com
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Trivia: Buddy is 10 months and 2 days older than Sonny Osborne.

Okay, proceed...
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Hey, Theresa!

Buddy said that that's "Little Evelyn." Billy's not in the picture.

(BTW: He also said to thank you and to tell you he thinks Gregg is cute, too.)
My best,
Ernie
www.BuddyEmmons.com
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

I'll relay the message to Gregg. :)
Thanks for posting the pictures. Seeing Casey and Evelyn bring back so many fond memories! :)
I agree about the flying nun hat...... lol
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Buddy's would've been like this...

<center>Image</center>
My best,
Ernie
www.BuddyEmmons.com
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Buddy's would've been like this...

<center>Image</center>
My best,
Ernie
www.BuddyEmmons.com
Steve Waltz

Post by Steve Waltz »

It would be interesting to know when, how and why his bigsby lost it's single aluminum neck and ended up with what looks like wood necks in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxz17P5OoGM

I assume it was tunning problems with the single piece neck and I assume it was Shot Jackson doing the work. I wonder how extensive the job was under the guitar.