Mellennium Screw up @ ISGC

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Jeremy Moyers

Post by Jeremy Moyers »

My wife, my son and myself went to the show and found the service at most of the businesses ther in the area of the hotel to be very bad. We went to one calecos one night for dinner and asked the waiter for some cracker for my son, he said he would rather not give us any because he did not want to have to clean up the mess! The only reason we went there was because they had a childrens menu. We also ate at the revolving restaurant at the top of the millinium and spent $100 on a dinner, the food was great after sending my wifes back twice, and I had to go looking for our waitress twice. I also was not very impressed by the service aspect of the businesses. However the show was wonderful! Great job Scotty!

Jeremy
Frank Estes

Post by Frank Estes »

The hotel took their jolly time registering us. I timed it as I waited and they took about 5 mins per person. I called home using my calling card and the hotel charged me a $1.08 "access fee" per call! I would not be surprised if they sent us a bill for room water usage later on! Image
Skip Mertz

Post by Skip Mertz »

Bet the hotel chain is owned by some rich Arabs! Look at our audience folks, we should have a little dignity and class for our heroes and supporters of this wonderful instrument. AND Scotty NEEDs to make and RELEASE videos before it's too late!
Bob Kononiuk

Post by Bob Kononiuk »

I have seen a lot of talk about the Dallas show next year. Can someone tell me when and where it is in Dallas? Thanks

------------------
Bob Kononiuk

Post by Ray Montee »

This was my first visit since 1978 and I most likely will NEVER ATTEND another ISGC again during this lifetime; my wife really wanted to see it. Thanks to Kenny Dail my room was reserved and that aspect had minimal conflicts; HOWEVER...
I don't drink coffee........but I was shocked to discover that getting a cup of the stuff for my wife was a task beyond my abilities to cope.
The ice water in the BIG ROOM was a nice touch but if they could pump out all that booze from the bar in the BIG ROOM, WHY NOT, coffee? Some folks would have paid big bucks since they were so desperate for it.
The Park Cafe, nearest to the BIG ROOM...
was a coffee source however the help behind the counter couldn't have been more inept and anti-social had they tried. INDIFFERENT!
Then Sunday, WITHOUT WARNING, the entire facility DISAPPEARED!!! What a shocker!
The 4th Street Grill on the Mezanine...had decent food, a high ticket value for the product and the majority of employees had an indifferent attitude toward customers........ Since they were all foreiners, perhaps they don't like Americans.?...
Room service provided a great evening meal altho' a bit overpriced. It was prompt and very edible!
The air conditioning in the BIG ROOM really cooled the place down; hopefully not too many will contract pneumonia from the experience.....
The Peavy sound people did a great job...
and the performers were all at the peak of their professionalism. The kids from Australia were fantabulous! Really into western swing! Great to hear 2 and 3 part harmony arrangements...instrumentally.
The buffet adjacent to the BIG ROOM was extremely overpriced.....the hot dog main course was pathetic and the servers were not friendly.
I seem to remember in 1978.....a huge buffet that was set-up outside the main room that offered all kinds of great choices of great food and modest prices....not to mention the great convenience.
If any of the booth-vendors complain about lack of sales, they should look in the mirror. Most acted like "you" were transparent. Oh well........ The jewelry lady was about the nicest one of the bunch!
I do feel Scotty....is partially responsible for this horrible fiasco. I look to him to resolve the issue, or I will not again spend $1,500 out of pocket to attend such an anti-social event. Scott worked hard and the performers did well. But... improvements must be made or success will likely be short-lived!
Bruce W Heffner

Post by Bruce W Heffner »

There is not a bigger whiner than me when it comes to food and accomadations; however, I did not hear anyone complain about sleeping out in the street or going hungry. I would do both to hear the great Buddy Emmons. Skip Mertz you got your wish; Scotty and Buddy Emmons had the first in a series of videos from past gatherings for sale. Buddy also had the recent Bell Cove video of himself and Hal Rugg avaliable. I have viewed them and given each of them a 5 Bar rating. That is the highest rating avaliable. Image

PS. the hotel is a Sheraton clone.

Bruce<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bruce W Heffner on 03 September 2002 at 04:56 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bruce W Heffner on 03 September 2002 at 05:03 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bruce W Heffner on 03 September 2002 at 05:06 AM.]</p></FONT>
bob drawbaugh

Post by bob drawbaugh »

Bruce, I wounder how many people went home without a room. If I don't hear that Scotty chewed the Mellennium a new one and made some changes, well I wouldn't go back if I could set in Buddy's lap while he played. Image There is too many good shows around the country to put up with this crap Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by bob drawbaugh on 03 September 2002 at 05:39 AM.]</p></FONT>
Douglas Hudson

Post by Douglas Hudson »

I didnt get to go to st louis this year as i had to work that weekend. I am just throwing my 2 cents in here. If there is a need for a centrally located place for a show, why not Branson MO. Just a thought.
Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Post by Dr. Hugh Jeffreys »

We went through all the above in Des Moines, Ia. 2 yr. ago with Ramada Inn. It so happens that 2 of my nieces are lawyers in Des Moines; one called the Mgr. at 2:a.m. and described the lawsuit she would be filing Monday. We came out on top; I'll bet they have watched their bookings since! If I were you, I'd file a suit in a N.Y. minute! - HJ
Earl Yarbro

Post by Earl Yarbro »

I stayed at the Four Points, West, out near the airport. Rode the Metro train for $2.10 round trip. Room cost $59/day, with no parking cost. Had to walk about four or five blocks down town, but the excercise did me good. The hotel took me to and picked me up at the airport Metro. Im glad I didn't try the Mellinium Down town. The shows were the best yet with the Big E and Darrell. The Helms and Green show was great. in fact, I did not see any show that was not outstanding. Scotty's bunch did an outstanding job getting this together, as usual. Sorry some of you had the hotel problems. That can sure ruin the whole trip. Come on down to Texas in March. Hope you get better treatment down here. regards, Earl
Bob Dell

Post by Bob Dell »

We had no problems at the ISGA 2002 Convention and had a "Fantastic" time. Wish we could have spent more time in the "Big Room" listening! However, in July, we "DID HAVE" a very similar situation. I belong to the NFLCC ( National Fishing Lure Collectors Club ) and we have a "National" meet, once a year. This year it was in Knoxville at the Holiday Inn Downtown. I made reservations in Jan. for the convention in July. The H.I. called me 2 weeks before the show and informed me that they were having to move us to the Hilton across the street, due to the fact that they were over booked. I told them that over booking is a very standard thing, it happens every year, that is why I made reservations in Jan. Had I wanted to stay at the Hilton, I am quite capable of booking reservations at the Hilton myself.The "Would Be Manager" ( that is he "Would Be" if he were one )said, "My hands are tied, I can do nothing about it"!
I filed a formal complaint on line with the BBB of Knoxville, and before we left for the show, the H.I. called and told us they had a room............................. due to a cancellation!
"IMAGINE THAT"!! "MAGIC"!!!!!! They had sent out a card for a complimentary meal in one of their resturants because of having to move us across the street to the Hilton, so I decided to use it anyway, since they wasted so much of my valuable time that I will never recover, so we took it to the resturant one afternoon, waited for about 1 1/2 hours for a "Very Simple" meal, to have them inform us "AFTERWARD" that the card was not valid, that they had made a change and offered the first night at the Hilton free instead, just did not inform anyone of the change!!!!
Because we waited so long for the meal, with only 3 tables being occupied in the entire resturant, they did not make us pay for the so / so meal.
About a week after we arrived back home, we received a letter from the H.I. saying they were sorry that they had been forced to move us across the street to the Hilton but trusted that we had a good stay there. They are so messed up that they had no idea "Where" we stayed!!!!
It sounds like this may be the way of the future.......I certainly hope not.
For those of you who had a bad experience, I am truly sorry and totally understand your frustrations!
Bob Dell
Dell Cases
Dirk B

Post by Dirk B »

I'm not usually one to bad-mouth but I have to jump in on this one.

-- The men's room near the pool was FILTHY and I couldn't use it;
-- The carpet in that area looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in weeks;
-- My 9-year old daughter was grossed out by the stairwell, which she said had a bunch of chicken nuggets lying around, as well as being very unkempt;
-- The food service people in the south tower food court were so aggressively slow that it seemed to be their way of taking out their hostility on patrons;
-- On saturday night, the restaurant told me it would take 30 minutes to get a club sandwich, with the place only half full!
-- The parking situation was toally f***ed up.

Not once all weekend did I see a person who looked like a supervisor or manager, or who seemed to be in charge. I will say that the staff was polite, but just using the word "sir" doesn't cover up all the other stuff.

Next year I'll be reserving a place at the overflow venue and gladly walk to the convention.
Lefty Schrage

Post by Lefty Schrage »

Altho' I was a little worried, I had no problem getting my two confirmed rooms when I arrived after midnight Friday night and sympathize with those of you who couldn't even though you had confirmations. In general, I found the hotel staff friendly and helpful, except for the small restaurant in the south tower where it was nonexistent. But let's give Scotty some time and space to work on this--he may be able to work with the Millenium to make some positive changes. I congratulate Scotty and his staff for running another smooth, well-organized convention. ...Lefty
Roger Osbourn

Post by Roger Osbourn »

WOW ! ! Now I'm glad I went to Claremore Oklahoma to see the Will Rogers Memorial and the J.M.Davis Gun Museum.Labor Day weekend is a bad time to have a convention, especially Branson or Nashville.Too many people on the move that weekend. Thats my opinion,express yours!!!

------------------
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

Many of these complaints are common among most big city hotels, but the point Hugh brings up is interesting.

IF you have a room booked and guaranteed via credit card, the hotel is within its rights to charge you for the room if you don't show up. Now, on the other side of the coin, what if you DO show up and they don't have a room for you? What is the legal obligation? From what I read here, sounds like a 'heads I win; tails you lose' proposition from the hotel's standpoint.

Seems like I recall we have a barrister or two around here. Any guidance on what our rights are when a room is guaranteed and the hotel doesn't deliver? Just curious . . . I suspect it's occurred to many of us over the years.

------------------
<small>Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

i thought this only happened when traveling abroad ?
some Do's + some Dues...
Steel wish i had been there... Image
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 04 September 2002 at 09:56 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Plemmons

Post by Bill Plemmons »

This was my 25th cosecutive convention and one of the best yet. It would have been the best except for the hotel and staff. I made reservations in Feb. and got my room ok. Registration was not a problem however, trying to get something to eat was another story. The staff in the snack bar in the south tower redefined slow and inept, they elevated it to an art form. It took 20 minutes to get 2 hot dogs. I wanted a club sandwich but after watching the guy making sandwiches handle the food with bare hands,drop a knife on the floor,pick it up and put back in the prep area, wipe his hands on his trousers I went for the hot dog. Scotty and his crew did a super job with their end, It's just a shame the hotel had to take the "glow" off the occasion. I trust Scotty will take some action. Otherwis a lot of people ain't coming back.
bob drawbaugh

Post by bob drawbaugh »

Bill, reservations was not the problem! Getting a room was the problem. Like most I made reservations in March, with my credit card. I called again before leaving home on friday, there ws no problem until I got to St. louis. I know Scotty and his group works hard all year to put this show on. All that hard work is in vein if all you remember when you leave is how bad the Hotel and service was. Image
Leslie Ledford

Post by Leslie Ledford »

I made my reservations in June and we arrived Friday morning around 10:00 a.m. I had no trouble getting my room, so I guess we were lucky we got there before they gave my room away. The food was LOUSY, and not much of a selection on the menu either. The elevators were slow, but I guess everything else was OK. I had a great time. This was my first time attending.
Jim Vogan

Post by Jim Vogan »

When I see two lazy dudes like those working in the snack area I would like to tell them, " Just think, in 40 or 45 years, you can quit working "

------------------
Jim Vogan Emmons Sd10 Stereo steel Amp
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

You think the elevators were slow? You should have tried the stairs! They were okay going down, but dragged ass going up to #8. Image

A list of nearby restaurants would have been nice. Breakfast outside of the hotel proved impossible for me. Like several others, I was relagated to White Castle for breakfast on Saturday. I beat the crowd to the hotel buffet on Sunday morning, al beit at 4X the cost of White Castle's.

------------------
HagFan

Bill Myrick

Post by Bill Myrick »

Kirk P ----- I bet you and I are the only two on the forum who knows exactly what a "Slurry Store" is. Shades of days in Iowa selling Harvestores !!!! Bill Myrick
Gary Glisson

Post by Gary Glisson »

let me tell you,this was my 14th year at Scotty's, this year when i arrived on friday they sent us to a room that was already occupied , the guy had all his clothes everything in the room, even his wallet (GOOD thing were christian people) then we went back down to desk. they gave us another room, went to that one and it smelled mildewed and carpet was wet, then we finally got into a room that was nice. we park on the second deck because bottom parking was full. the hotel did not even bother to tell us that we were being charged for this parking on top of the $15.00 we paid per night for parking add to our room. then the hotel clerk tried to charge us $23.00 tax per night $46.00 total for tax!!! stupided people,had to argue with them and get out my calculator and give the clerks a math class. when it should have been $23.00 tax for both nights. luckily i fiqured out the parking ,by talking to the bell hop and moved my car to lower deck, but still had to pay for 5 hours parking.
The best part of the whole convention was meeting Don and Hazel Helms, and having breakfast with them. they are wonderful christian people.
but you guy's are right, i went to the Choo-Choo Reunion in Chatanooga this year and it was great, enjoyed my self!! plenty of free parking ,hotel and service was great!fantastic restaurant, i'am going to Ronnie Nabors show in Hot Springs in Octomber, and i think i'll try the Dallas show next year instead of st. louis and i will definetly be back for the choo-choo Reunion next year.

just my perspective on the millenium hotel it stinks!!!!!!
Dirk B

Post by Dirk B »

<SMALL> Many of these complaints are common among most big city hotels </SMALL>
Could be, but the problems and pervasive and systemic mailaise of the place gave a few of us the strong impression that the Millenium is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, or something like it, and is held together with rubber bands and paper clips.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dirk B on 04 September 2002 at 06:02 AM.]</p></FONT>
Frank Estes

Post by Frank Estes »

I just want to make it clear that I meant the HOTEL registration was slow. Scotty's team was fast, efficient and professional and I have no complaints with how Scotty ran the show except for those 100 extra chairs that never arrived, which was probably the Hotel's fault again.

The hotel did a better job at the 2000 ISGC and perhaps now they are facing a tough financial situation.