Peeling back the myths of the pedal steel guitar

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

The knee lever issues, could fill page after page of pros and cons.
No, Bill, your knee lever issues could fill page after page.
We are long overdue for a systematic steel guitar revitalization which could be accomplished by a system of revisions in standardized practices. Namely; extended efforts of cluing shop owners and managers to get on the ball in musical outlets in the practice of promoting the steel guitar.
Why should they? They already know from experience that there's no money in it.

Bill, as of right now, you have two active threads and have so far posted 28 times - this begs the question, when do you find time to practice? :eek:
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Chris,

I don't mind expressing myself in the presence of hecklers. As for stepping up and reproving anything, by discussing how Mr. Lloyd Green became the most recorded steel player in the business, when country was country, that would be better left to the experts in and around Nashville. I'm just a country player, who makes his home 200 miles west of bean city. I am quite aware that Mr. Green is inimitable. His achievements, and abilities are "light years" ahead of the "pack". He is the most unquestionable technician in the business from my point of view.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

His music is known the world over to be from a class of impecuniously self-styled steel guitarists.
Bill, define impecunious within the context of your statement. My dictionary says it means, 'penniless.' Therefore, you are stating that Mr. Green's music is known the world over to be from a class of penniless self-styled steel guitarists, correct?
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Barry,

Word forms can be distracting at times. I find myself nodding at 6:00 A.M. - parsimonious is a word that fascinated me since the 60's. Impeccability was the word that should have been used. Oh well, now I'm wondering if I would have been more watchful, if you could have pointed out misspelled words and poor labeling in the past. I want to apologize to Lloyd for the error that I made. As can be seen, this is a lesson that will be remembered.
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 25 Sep 2009 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Georg,

I wish that I had your steel here to try out. If you were coming to visit, I couldn't wait to try out your steel. Hidden in your "C" pedal is an enormous supply of voicings. Don't live another day without directing your thoughts to its full potential. Tom Brumley utilized that pedal in question, when he played "Apple Jack". Check it out! I treat it quite differently than a mile long column of steel guitarists. The records show that virtually all players refused to buck the concept of ABC pedals. I really can't say if changes have been made in recent times. If you ever visit the Northeast, bring your steel and we'll do some serious jamming.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Georg,

Your "caginess" sort of throws me out of formation. I can tell by reviews that I'd be wise to tread warily while offering my own experiences that were helpful in "arriving" on solid ground. For whatever it's worth, the decriers who are ignoring me at this time, for one reason or another, (I feel) would allow me to walk into minor blunders without warning me away. It's a bit of a nuisance, but I think it will pass in time. Conflicting ideas may arise by reading your input concerning the "high E" on your steel, for example, which would allow for justifiaby wishing for a continuance of exchanges. There are no proximity advantages to facilitate close-up viewings of our steel guitars.

If you would elaborate on the subject of the "parked bar", and the lack of vibrato, I would enjoy following future comments with great interest.

I have been fortunate in "breaking the ice" in first meetings with club owners. Steel players have always been there for me whenever the "MASSBASHES" were held. Some of my most interesting experiences were derived when old acquaintances met again after years of separation. I recall the late Paul Manning with his homemade chain drive steel guitar settling in to perform. He was ailing at the time, but his outward appearance gave no clues of an incidious ailment that would not relent to treatment. Pointing out each individual steel guitarist, who has attended and entertained at "MASSBASHES", would require a great amount of time to accomplish by presenting names and places relevant to the events.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Georg,

I appreciate reading about how you approach the steel guitar. Your knowledge of intonation, tunings, and your razor's edge awareness of the entire range of musical complexities is worthy of recognition.

I have to do some practicing this morning, and attend to a few details. I would enjoy covering your thoughts about gliss. I'm off to the music department.