Any opinions on using a Fender Super Reverb for steel?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Twayn Williams

Post by Twayn Williams »

I bet if you padded down the output on your steel to the same level as a tele or strat single coil you'd get more than enough clean headroom. Hell's bells, I've been bitched out for being too loud with a little 15 watt Pro Jr before, and that's not even getting into breakup on the amp!
Primitive Utility Steel
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Point well made! Just plug into input two of either channel and that pads the signal. That's what the second inputs on most smps are made for, to control a hot signal from a pickup and allow more head-room!
Twayn Williams

Post by Twayn Williams »

The other thing of course is how you use your volume pedal. If you play with the pedal half back and want that to be your loudest level, then you'll need alot more power, cause you're "throwing away" useful headroom for "sustain", buy YMMV!
Primitive Utility Steel
Jeremy Brownlow

thanks for the info

Post by Jeremy Brownlow »

Thanks to everyone for the info. I appreciate it. Anyone have experience with a Pro Reverb?
Raybob Bowman

Post by Raybob Bowman »

David Doggett wrote:Play your steel through your Vibrolux's 2x10. That's similar to what it will sound like through an SR 4x10, only a little louder. Most people prefer 12s or 15s for pedal steel....
I read somewhere here on the forum Paul Franklin prefers 10" speakers.
Sierra U12 4+5 / 1933 Dobro / homemade Tele B-bender
Buck Grantham

super reverb

Post by Buck Grantham »

I played through a black faced super reverb for 13 years and got a great sound however I did not have enough head room without mikeing it through the PA swstem. I finally took it to a great amp repair man and he took the rectifier tube out and put a solid state rectifyer in and plated over the space where the tube came out , then he re drilled the chassis and put two tube sockets in there instead of one, now i have 4 6L6,s in there. Then we jerked the 4 10 inch speakers and baffle out of it and put a new baffle and a D130F 15inch JBL speaker in it . It sang like a bird . I now had head room that felt like a twin but I still had that sweet tone of the super reverb. Wish I still had it... A regular super reverb is absolutely too weak with a loud band imop Buck Grantham
Music to light up your life