A Message To All Members Of The Forum

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

Donny Hinson wrote:
Sure Andy, I've heard and seen her many times, and she's a good player. But, I had thought that that was only one of the many criteria for nomination.
Donny--
1. She is a good steel player
2. Talent
3. A entertainer
4. Had a great steel player in her band-Cookey.

5.Promoted steel guitar( more than most of us)And a show men,I should say show lady And a good looker a come back kid ,I could add more. Maybe Cookey Jones knows more about her. Joe
L. A. Wunder

Post by L. A. Wunder »

Mr. Hinson, I'm glad someone had the courage to post something about this. I was shocked the she was inducted. She definately does not belong in the steel guitar HOF. She never worked as a steel player on the road, in the studio, in a club, or any kind of "house" band for radio or T.V. She never recorded, composed music, or wrote any instructional courses for the instrument, and she certainly wasn't a builder. Every other inductee made significant contributions to the instrument in one or more of the aformentioned areas. Having a little steel on her t.v. show does not constitute "inovation," and I know of other artists who have been more supportive than she - even though not steel players themselves - simply by virtue of the way they featured steel in their music, both on record and on the road. If they were looking for a female inductee, how about Cindy Cashdollar, or Marion Hall? they both actually made a living as steel players.

Sorry if I offended anyone. This isn't meant to be a slam post, I just can't make any sense of the board's decision. If anyone can enlighten me, please do.
Scott Shipley

Post by Scott Shipley »

Amen. I don't agree with any of Scotty's choices EVER for induction into the SGHOF. Who does he think he is anyway? That GAL they inducted this year has only been playing professionally for 50 years. Dang newbie.
In fact, I think I'll go start my OWN SGHOF. And in MY SGHOF, everybody who gets nominated, gets inducted! That way, EVERYBODY will be happy!
:roll:
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

Looks like what I've been reading is, I could be in the running :lol: Joe
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Sorry if I offended anyone. This isn't meant to be a slam post, I just can't make any sense of the board's decision. If anyone can enlighten me, please do.
L.A., famous is as famous does ... :|
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

I do remember Irbys 12 year old daughter on Cliffy Stones Town Hall Party playing a steel...I can see both sides of this..Of course this had to be a committee decision and in truth it does give the HOF a truly famous name thus more credibility??? But on the other hand Merle has sat down behind a steel..What seems odd tho is the amount of hit records Sonny Garish has been on and year after year overlooked..
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Herb Steiner wrote:Don
Many worthy players are nominated for the Hall of Fame...
Hey Herb,
Who nominated Barbara?
Just curious.
pete b.
Jeff Evans

Post by Jeff Evans »

Also, do indignant and aggrieved campaigns by nominees, would-be nominees and their supporters affect outcomes?
Scott Shipley

Post by Scott Shipley »

And you KNOW that nobody watched that television show she did. It would be ridiculous to assume she EVER influenced any of today's young players! There was TONS of pedal steel on Country radio in the late '70s and early '80s for those guys to be inspired by.
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

b0b

Post by b0b »

Scott Shipley wrote:Amen. I don't agree with any of Scotty's choices EVER for induction into the SGHOF. Who does he think he is anyway?
Scotty doesn't choose the inductees. His is only one vote on the board.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Wish I could play as well as she does !!!! YOU BETCHA, DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Scott Shipley

Post by Scott Shipley »

b0b wrote:
Scott Shipley wrote:Amen. I don't agree with any of Scotty's choices EVER for induction into the SGHOF. Who does he think he is anyway?
Scotty doesn't choose the inductees. His is only one vote on the board.
Tounge in cheek b0b.
;-)
Jeff Evans

Post by Jeff Evans »

In fact, I think I'll go start my OWN SGHOF. And in MY SGHOF, everybody who gets nominated, gets inducted! That way, EVERYBODY will be happy!
John Floyd has announced that admission is fee-based. He'll be getting back to us shortly with how much it will cost to get in in 2010.
Danny Bates

Post by Danny Bates »

Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Next year's nominees?

1. Ron Wood

2. Robert Randolph

3. Jerry Garcia

Just kidding. I would never argue with any of the panel's decisions over the years. All of those inducted have done some service for the steel guitar in one way or another. (It would be nice to see Messrs Seymour and Garrish in there sometime - nudge nudge, wink wink) :lol:
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

4. wayne newton
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

:lol: :lol:
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

I know she wasn't country enough to suit most of you.Some of you not only think that for it to be country you have to have a steel in it, but to be a steel player you have to play country.Joe
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

whaddaya mean joe...she was country when country wasn't cool!
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

chris ivey wrote:whaddaya mean joe...she was country when country wasn't cool!
:lol: :lol: Joe
Scott Shipley

Post by Scott Shipley »

K, first nomination has been made for my personal SGHOF, it's Joe Miraglia!

You're in in 0'10!

:lol:
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

Scott Shipley wrote:K, first nomination has been made for my personal SGHOF, it's Joe Miraglia!

You're in in 0'10!

Scott- Thats a start!
Scott Shipley

Post by Scott Shipley »

And it don't matter if anyone complains, you're still in.

Jeff Evans

Post by Jeff Evans »

This is a slap in the face of all the other future inductees who are not yet in the Shipley Ship Shape Steel Hall of Fame. How much did Joe pay you, anyway?