Any BMI players out there?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Randy Wade

Post by Randy Wade »

I have played my D-10 BMI since 1985. It has a GeorgeL 10-5 pickup on C6 and an E-66 on the E9 side. I have been very pleased with it.
Wesley Medlen

Bmi Sd10

Post by Wesley Medlen »

My first steel was a BMI S-10 I called and took it to Scranton in March of 08 Don put the F and G levers on it very good guitar S/N 131 Dan told me it was made about 1979 or 80. He said they whole saled these to dealers with 2 knee's and case for $150 dollars. I currently am playing an 03 BMI SD10 3 & 5 love it. I've had it since Oct. 09 haven't broke a string yet I restring about every 3 month's depending on amount of playing. I am in a cowboy church band so it gets played a lot in my home.
Justice S10 Jr, Gibson Electra 6string, Boss Katana 100, Steelers Choice ,Gretsch 6 string lap, Hilton VP
Steven Welborn

Post by Steven Welborn »

Bought a mid 70's D10 from the forum classifieds a little while ago. Paul Redmond is currently doing a bunch of killer mods and upgrades on it that I think BMI folks are going to find interesting. Very cool stuff. Cant wait to post on the forum when done but it will be a little while yet 8)
Paul Redmond

Post by Paul Redmond »

Dan Burnham could shed a more accurate light on the subject, but 1979 is when Zane first started using the C-shaped extrusions for the changer heads and shortened the neck rails to suit. Before that, the neck rails used to extend to the milled changer heads and tie into the sides of them with two screws each.
Frank - Your red BMI appears to be a very early 1979 or possibly a very late 1978. At the time Zane made that changeover in design, he abandoned the "drilled" left endplates and used endplates that had milled-open access to the tuning nuts. If you BMI has the drilled endplate AND the extruded changer housing, it was most likely a very early 1979 model.
Dan - Help!!!
PRR
Darrell Owens

Post by Darrell Owens »

Paul,

Zane built the maple D-11 for me in 1978. I sold it in 1980 at the Convention in St Louis.

I sold it because Zane wanted to build me a new one. He did, but it was never as good as the one you have. I think it might be one of the best ones he ever made.
Zum Steel, Little Walter Amp, Benado Steel Dream
Darrell Owens
www.darrellowens.com
Darrell Owens

Zane Beck

Post by Darrell Owens »

Here is a link to a recording I made with Zane Beck in 1972. PLEASE keep in mind this was done in 1972 on a 4 track recorder, then produced on a vinyl record and later transferred to Cassette and now to MP3. So, the quality is not typical. I have not posted it to the forum because I did not want the critics to point out the poor quality, but for you BMI guys, I will take a chance. Someday, I will record a CD direct from one of the few remaining records I still have and improve the quality.

http://www.box.net/shared/5p18hilvsf
Darrell Owens
www.darrellowens.com
Gary McVay

Bmi

Post by Gary McVay »

My first steel was an old Fender 10 string that I bought from Zane in the 60s. I then went through several ZBs and then finally a BMI. I had the pleasure of playing guitar in the same band with Zane for a while and we became very good friends. In 1982 he built me a Keyless 12 with his tuning on it. I got to help (watch) him set it up. I don't know if it's the best guitar ever built or not, but it has sereved me well. I've never done anything to it and it still plays great. I could never get rid of it because everytime I set down and play it I'm reminded of a great friend. For those of you that knew Zane, you will agree he was a great player and a great builder, but more importantly he was a great gentleman and friend. The serial number on mine is #975. I just bought another BMI keyless 12 and I love it also. So for this old man as long as I'm able to play a little it will be on a BMI.
I play Zane Becks tuning. I have 2 keyless 12 string BMI's I also have a Sierra U12.
Darrell Owens

Post by Darrell Owens »

Gary, I must agree. Zane was one of the nicest gentleman and one of the best friends I ever had.

He received one of the first Peavey Session 500 amplifiers that Peavey made. I was with Zane when he went to pick up the amp they sent to him. I liked the amp so much, he gave it to me and ordered another one for himself. I still have that amp.

That was the way he was, there was nothing he wouldn't do for a friend.

Darrell Owens
Darrell Owens
www.darrellowens.com
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Hey Jesse, the tweed amp is a Peavey Classic 30 and the other is a hybrid Peavey MX which is one heavy little dude! I use the Boss ME-50 for the steel all the time and since that picture was taken I've started setting it up on the fold out side lid of my Walker pack set so it can be "hand operated". I use it for delay, compression, distortion, tremolo, and I have a couple of patches set up for an organ sound and chorus..........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
John Wilson

I have a red BMI S-10

Post by John Wilson »

I bought this S-10 from Dave Alexander last April and I have put a modified Zane Beck/King tuning on it.

[/url]http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... highlight=

It plays really well and the sound is all I need. I also find these guitars really easy to work on and adjust.

A super thanks to Paul Redmond. We've never communicated, but your posts were instrumental in helping me find and develop my current tuning.

John in Ventura
Customer: "Waiter, how do you prepare your chicken?"
Waiter: "We usually tell them they're not going to make it."
Dan Burnham

Your Model

Post by Dan Burnham »

Frank,

Paul is right on. Paul, I couldn't have said it better myself,

Thanks,
Dan (BMI)
BMI S12 Zane Beck's Tuning
www.danburnham.com
Dan Burnham

Follow Up

Post by Dan Burnham »

Darrell,
I love the recording you and Zane did. Could I buy a copy of it. It's wonderful.

Russell,
I apologize for any inconvience. If you need any help please call me direct @ 1.731.819.6251

Dan (BMI)
BMI S12 Zane Beck's Tuning
www.danburnham.com