What is this and will it work?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

I started out on an axe that had a lot less than that. That was 45 years ago...
Everything is relative.
Marc Stone

Post by Marc Stone »

how about just having him approach it as an 8 string lap until he finds a modern steel, if that's what he wants? wouldn't a fair amount of the principles he could learn on C6 lap (picking and bar technique, visualizing melodic and harmonic patters on an chordal tuning string instrument, vocabulary of non-pedal classic country licks, etc.) help him down the road on a 10 string E9 set up? I'm only at a student level as a steeler myself, but I know that anything I have learned playing lap has helped me as I moved to PSG.

I bought a homemade PSG thing off eBay a few years ago when I was starting out the makes your student's guitar look like a top-flight machine. Didn't get any milage out of it as a PSG but was very glad to bust it out and use it as an 8 string non-pedal to practice C6 on, which in turn has helped my E9 PSG playing. Just a thought.
Tim Jones of Kansas

What?!

Post by Tim Jones of Kansas »

Firewood?!?!?!?!?!

I'm apalled!
Mike Ihde

Post by Mike Ihde »

Like I said, even Parsons himself says this about his string bender on his site...(Thanks for the link Steve)

"Putting pedal steel licks in the hands of guitarists"

Greetings!
StringBender inventor Gene Parsons here.
Les Green

Post by Les Green »

I can remember about 50 years ago when I was trying to figure out how to put the Isaccs pedal on my 3 neck non-pedal Rickenbacker, I would have been very pleased to have one like this one. Sit Buddy or Paul or anyone of a number of steel players behind it and I bet you'd be amazed at the music that comes forth!
Les Green
73 MSA D10 8&4, 74 MSA S10 3&5, Legrande II 8&9, Fender Squier 6 string, Genesis III, Peavey 1000
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

...yes,Mike...that's what the man said..."putting pedal steel licks in the hands of guitarists"...
Don Drummer

ebay pedal steel

Post by Don Drummer »

Why not make the 8th string an E and include the chromatic strings. Seems like a good place to get started for a small amount of money. If just the first two pedals work, why not?
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

Marc Stone wrote:how about just having him approach it as an 8 string lap until he finds a modern steel, if that's what he wants? wouldn't a fair amount of the principles he could learn on C6 lap (picking and bar technique, visualizing melodic and harmonic patters on an chordal tuning string instrument, vocabulary of non-pedal classic country licks, etc.) help him down the road on a 10 string E9 set up?
I agree with Marc. Get the student started on basic picking patterns, finding a few chords, how to use the bar and a bit of proper timing. Once the student is put through that, even strumming away on a strung wash tube, will tell you if the guy has the mechanism in his brain to hear and feel music.

Jeez, you don't need a $2000.00 pedal steel to find out if the guy is dedicated enough or has what it takes to want to continue with the instrument.
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

There's a lot more music in that little guitar than meets the eye...