Mullen G2

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

I haven't seen or heard one yet, but they sure look great in the pics.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
Mickey Adams

Danny

Post by Mickey Adams »

Congratulations Danny on being the newest G2 owner. I have #3, and I too am just incrediby satisfied with mine. I played out last night with mine, and numerous compliments on the tone were recieved. No effects, striaight into 2 NV400's.....Its a sweet sounding axe....The best money can guy...Cant wait to hear yours!...Mickey Adams
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Mickey Adams

Danny!

Post by Mickey Adams »

This guitar is the new "gold standard"
"Nuff Said"...Mickey
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Danny Hullihen

Danny's New Mullen G-2

Post by Danny Hullihen »

All natural flame maple wood. 8 & 10

Glen E. Lanning

Post by Glen E. Lanning »

Here is Herby playing the G2 at the MASGA Kannapolis, NC jam. It is a smooth working steel and Herby does make it sound good.
Past Secretary/President, MASGA
Mullen U12 (2004)
ShoBud Professional (1970)D10 8/4
Peavey Session 400 Limited/Nashville 1000/Zoom RFX-2000/Peavey EQ-215 Equalizer/Nashville 112
Gary Sill

G2 received last Wednesday on time---Great guitar!!!!

Post by Gary Sill »

I received a red maple grained G2 last Wednesday on schedule and shipped to the day that Mike said he would ship this guitar. It came in unharmed from shipment and insured by Mullen. I asked for a few different things on the steel and Mike obliged. One of the easiest purchases you could ever imagine in the steel guitar world. The tonealigner pickups work wonderful and make each note sound very individual. Match that up with Brad's Revelation and it's pretty hard to beat.

Mullen finished the steel flawlessly in detail. The 8 pedals and 8 knees work like they should. Even one 1/2 stop on the C6 neck Dell worked out to make it so 2 strings of different sizes on the 1/2 stop are pretty close to each other on the meter. Magic performed by Dell. The tone is definitely clear, and one that can be amazingly altered with the Revelation to your own ear. This steel makes you clean up your own hand inadequacies because its going to be heard if you do it incorrectly with this guitar. When you play it right, the steel is really sweet!!!!

I believe Dell has a real historical sounding winner here, and when you sit behind it you have the feeling of a solidly built instrument. It doesn;t move, it is built of the real stuff. That isn't necessarily bad, because I feel good tone can be enhanced by good materials. You feel you are playing an instrument made of resonating materials here. It is almost like Dell had thoughts of--- let's make aninstrument that sounds and plays very, very well , and stays in tune, feels solid then the player will be amazed and want it badly. That is what happened to me in St. Louis when I played the first G2. It does appear looks wise as a conventional looking instrument very clean, but the underneasth is exceptionally, cleanly designed and organized for easy access.
Definitely one of the premier steels of today---my opinion.

I have a few other great steels by other great companies, and they are all different in many ways.

This one is very very unique in tone and if it feels as good to you as you play it.

Dell and Mike all the others at the shop, thanks for paying attention to my order detail.
Gary Sill

Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

Hey guys, I'm sure this has been explained in previous posts, but I have not found it. If someone could point me to the link, I'd appreciate it. The link on how the bent crossshafts move. Seems to me that the offset would cause the shaft to rise up when the shaft rotates. Like I said, I know it has been discussed before.
Much appreciated!
Herby Wallace

G2

Post by Herby Wallace »

I just wanted to add as I have said in other posts, that the new G2 is without a doubt the finest I have ever played, bar none. I have been playing and selling Mullen for 24 years and the new G2 is a step above everything else. By the way, concerning the crossrods, I can not see any flex whatsoever and all the pedal and knee lever stops are as solid as a rock, and I can't say that about some other guitars I have played. Also, the detuning or cabinet drop is less than the previous Mullen guitars I have played. I have only had my G2 for 3 weeks, but when I set it up to play, the tuning seems to not move as much as other guitars. I cannot find one negative thing about. The tone is better, the action is better, the tuning is better, so Del, you have really done it this time.

Herby Wallace
Mike Mantey

G2

Post by Mike Mantey »

Current Delivery on a new G2 is about 3 months, and this is getting longer and longer, the list is growing.

As soon as you sit behind one of these beauties, it will sell you, so be prepared.

Thank You all for the great posts, and great pictures, sure love yours Danny.
Ray DeVoe

Post by Ray DeVoe »

Well it looks like I might as well add my guitar to the testimonials.

I recently purchased the first produced Mullen SD 12 G2. I must say that the decision to buy an extended E 9, 12 string steel was kind of a hard choice as I have played double neck Emmons 10 string P.P's for the past 20 years. I wanted to purchase at least one brand new guitar in my playing lifetime and wanted something different so this was the choice.

I received the guitar on time as promised and soon found out that I would not be playing it out for a few weeks. The extra 2 strings really can throw one off when they look at that wide neck and realize that the number 10 string is not where its meant to be. I started to feel a little defeated for a while and then it all started to fall in place. My buddy, Mickey Adams is a big fan of an extended E 9 setup and he was in the background saying, "you can do it."

I finally felt comfortable enough with the guitar to take it out for its first gig and I was truly surprised. The sound was excellent and when playing above the 12 fret, this guitar just sings with crisp deep warmth and sustain. I am using the stock Mullen pickup. My playing out rig is always the same and consists of a Revelation preamp, TC M300 effects unit, Mosvalve 500 power amp and a set of 1501 BW speaker cabs.

The extra 2 bottom strings give some nice low single note runs and can be very useful.

The first item that everyone asks is "does it sound like the Push Pull."

I think that Mickey Adams answered it best. It's not an Emmons but it has a new tone of its own which will give the Emmons P.P. a lot of competition. Some even like it slightly better and add the advantage of an all pull guitar and Mullen has come up with a winner.

I personaly think that this new G2 has placed Mullen at the front of the line and their sales are reflecting this.

Here are a couple of pictures to add to the gallery. The guitar is a dark Burgundy Porte even though it looks red in the one picture. It's a beautiful piece of craftmanship and features everything from split tuning adjustments right on down to adjustable knee levers.

The first picture was taken at the factory during the build process. It shows the split tuners well.

Anyway, Its going to see a lot of weekend action for now and I plan on keeping it around for quite some time. Mike Mantley and Del have been superb to work with and you cant ask for more than that. Thanks to all at Mullen for a great product.

Ray DeVoe
Last edited by Ray DeVoe on 26 Feb 2008 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zum SD 10 Hybrid, Zum D 10 Hybrid, Emmons SD 10 P.P.
SMS: Revelation & Classic Preamps: Furlong 12" & 15" Splits.
Telonics 500 C: Quilter-T.T.12": Fender T.M. Twin
Larry Weaver

Post by Larry Weaver »

Wow!
Congrats on the G2 Ray. That is a beauty!

-Larry
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Great looking guitar, Ray.

And I like that vintage Ace Pac-A-Seat!
Lee, from South Texas - Down On The Rio Grande

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Ray DeVoe

Post by Ray DeVoe »

HI Lee and Larry

Thanks for the compliments.

The guitar is a little darker Burgundy than the pictures project.

Burgundy / Red seem to lighten or brighten up with the camera flash.

It is a beautiful guitar with the polish package added to it.

As to the seat Lee, I bought that as a package with a Sho~Bud steel around 23 years ago. It has always been used at home and is still in nice shape.

Thanks again
Ray
Mickey Adams

Ray!

Post by Mickey Adams »

Im so happy to hear you're enthusiastic about your new G2! That is one GREAT looking guitar. I really appreciate your confidence in me as well Ray. Great talking to you on the phone, and If I can do anything for you, you call me anytime...your friend in Dallas, Mickey
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

I've got it now! Thanks
Last edited by Curt Langston on 9 Mar 2008 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

Ok guys, I've got it know. I can't believe that it took me so long to see it. Since the G2 has such precision alignment, very little movement is required of the cross rods to make the pulls. Ingenious!
Last edited by Curt Langston on 9 Mar 2008 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Hullihen

Mullen G-2

Post by Danny Hullihen »

Curt. It sounds to me that perhaps you're looking for a scientific explanation on how this works?, so if I may make a suggestion, I would recommend giving Del Mullen a call at the factory and ask him directly, as he is the designer of this, and may be able to enlighten you a bit to help you understand how this all works.

As another suggestion, if you're planning on going to the Dallas show, chances are good that someone will be there with a new G-2 that would probably let you check it out up close and personal.
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Those "G 2's" look great :D I wouldn't mind owning one myself. 8)
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

:idea: I've got it now! thanks everyone.
Last edited by Curt Langston on 9 Mar 2008 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

:idea: I've got it now!
Last edited by Curt Langston on 9 Mar 2008 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ray DeVoe

Post by Ray DeVoe »

Hi Curt.

I put a 12 string lower bell crank and rod in my G 2 last night and I can tell you that the cross rod has very little rotation.

I checked out the pedal pulls and everything is adjusted very close to where there is hardly no travel at all.

I beleive that is due to the triple raise / triple lower where the rods can be inserted so that just a slight pull gives you all you need.

Mike Mantley is the pro here. He is the one who can give the actual mechanics of it.

This is my take on it.

Ray Devoe
Danny Hullihen

Mullen G-2

Post by Danny Hullihen »

I've noticed that the action on the G-2 is much different than anything else I have played on to date. It takes very little movement of the pedals and knee levers to accomplish the pull change, whether raising or lowering the strings, and it is extreamely smooth regardless of how many pulls you're doing. This is one of the few guitars I've seen that's capable of doing this without the action getting really stiff. To prove this to myself, I purposely ordered this guitar with 8 & 10 on it with lots of pulls going on, and it works as smooth as if it was a standard 8 & 4 set up! What's more, it's acurate and repeatable every time. Once you set it, it stays there like a rock, and very little to no adjustments are needed afterward.

If you watch the action of the cross rods, you'll notice that there is very little movement required to make the change. I've worked on litterally hundreds of steel guitars, played and owned just about all of them as well as worked with some in the development and/or improvement stages, and I have to say that the G-2 is most definately different in the way it works and plays, and I have yet to find one negative thing about yet. I don't know if this is a patented device, (changer and cross rod mechanism)? but if not, I can see where other builders would want to follow suit on this, or at least similarly, as I think Mullen has designed something that is truly better here than most.

Many times you hear a lot of "hype" about things with someone saying this is better, or that's better for one reason or another, but the explanations sometimes fall short of your expectations when you get a real "hands on" oportunity with the guitar in question. This is not to say that other guitars are not what they are claimed to be by others, as some of them truly are better by design, and hence, tone. In my opinion, the new Mullen G-2 truly is everything recent owners are saying they are. I sincerely believe that if you sit down and try one of the new Mullen G-2 guitars, you'll discover as I did that this guitar truly is, and does, all as being said about it.

One thing is for certain, I think it definately is "a new day at Mullen" and the design improvements they have made are real proof of that. Many guitar builders work hard to make improvements to their instruments, and some actually accomplish that. In the case of the Mullen G-2, they most definately have, and I think you'll find that to be true no matter who you talk to about it. No "trumped up" claims here guys, and no "I got mine free" padded opinions, and/or "compensated endorsements" These are facts and opinions based on hands-on experience with this instrument.

In any case, don't take all I've said here as the "gospel" about the Mullen G-2, or assume anything, but rather, take me to task on this by taking the oportunity to play one of these guitars and see for yourself. Regardless of what brand you're playing now, I would be willing to wager that you'll find the new G-2 quite a bit different than all the rest, and real big plus to your playing enjoyment.

I would like to welcome any and all that come to the shows I'm playing at to come and sit at my new G-2 and get a real "hands on" experience with this guitar. I think once you do, any reservations you might have had will be immediately resolved.

Want more information than what I've given here? Call Mike at the factory, or feel free to give me a call anytime. I'll be more than happy to talk with you about it, and my personal experiences with it as well. (989-539-7808) In my opinion. the new Mullen G-2 isn't just another guitar, or just another Mullen guitar for that matter, but a whole new guitar with many great improvments featuring the best of the best in quality and workmanship, and some real inovations to the pedal steel guitar.
Mike Mantey

Newest Baby....... Born This Morning

Post by Mike Mantey »

Belongs to Roger Kemp of Indiana. She sings as well as she looks.

Roger Kemp

Post by Roger Kemp »

:D :) :D Mike thanks to You, Dale, and everyone that worked on my guitar> Wow Mike the Guitar is a beaut Cant wait until I get it. Thanks for Putting in the three piece neck I asked for and the Three crosses. Here are some before assembly pics
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

I love those three crosses. That is one sweet looking ride!