Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Joey Ace

Does this count?

Post by Joey Ace »

Does this count?
Gary Lynch

Post by Gary Lynch »

"Forgive me for being the wet blanket here, but I just don't understand such large collections. How much playing/recording/stage time to these guitars get?"

Most people who have large collections also help educate all of us when we are in need.

It's not just about hording these, it's also about preserving them. It's not any different than collecting works of art or anything else.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Gary Lynch wrote:"Forgive me for being the wet blanket here, but I just don't understand such large collections. How much playing/recording/stage time to these guitars get?"

Most people who have large collections also help educate all of us when we are in need.

It's not just about hording these, it's also about preserving them. It's not any different than collecting works of art or anything else.

good...... topic for a new thread
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

There are circumstances where collectors prevent the continuation of the artform. For instance, I take steroescopic slides, but collectors are buying up all the old stereo cameras and putting them into storage, never to take photographs again, so that the art of stereophotography is being impeded by collectors, since enthusiasts can no longer get their hands on stereo cameras. This does not pertain to steel guitars, since they are still being produced, and collectors are preserving instruments which might otherwise become discarded. Moreover, steel guitarists buy up old instruments as a labour of love, and look after and prize them. The general public, and antique dealers, have not yet started collecting them as investments, and I doubt they will for decades to come.
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

The neat thing about having a wall full of guitars is that you can grab which-ever one your mood dictates that day!! :D
It seems that sometimes certain guitars sound better on some days than others (??)
Don't have a clue what that's about, but I've been there.

Gee, I think I'll drag out the EH150 7 string and see how it sounds today......
Don't play that one much..........
Paul Warnik

Post by Paul Warnik »

Chris Walke wrote:

I guess it's a philosophical question - what is the value of a guitar that doesn't get much use? How does that compare to the value of a guitar in the hands of someone who will play it regularly?

The answer is the value is USUALLY the same-Vintage guitars (and steel guitars) are like any other collectible objects and have "blue book" market values that are updated and published every year-the only matter to make a difference is when a NOTABLE PLAYER is THE SOMEONE who uses (or owns) a particular instrument to play on a hit recording and/or on a special performance-that can give that particular individual instrument what collectors (like me) refer to as INTRINSIC VALUE-This can carry over into an increased market value of instruments of the same make and model as the one played by the noteable player-another more rare occurrance would be in the case of one collector who enters the market specifically seeking a particular make or model of instrument and is willing to pay more than what that instruments market value previously was before the particular collector entered the market for it-I personally had this effect on the vintage Bigsby steel guitar market when in the early 1990's I had the realization that Bigsby would be the most ultimately collectible and valuable make of steel guitar-and I was willing to pay double what they were previously being sold for to get one with "personality attachment" aka "intrinsic value" Since then the value (of Bigsby steels) has doubled at several times over (on average) from what I was willing to pay as others have acquired the desire to own them-PW
Richard Shatz

Post by Richard Shatz »

Gary,
That photo was taken when I had removed the pickup to repair the lead wire. The instrument you questioned is an A-25, s/n 28, with the original pickup. Here's a link to detailed photos.
http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r39/ ... 0SN%20028/
Note the thickness of the horseshoe. As I understand it, that pickup was only produced in 1932-33. After that the horseshoes were made of lighter gage material.

Howard,
Wow, a 7-string EH275.

Tighe,
How many more EH275s are known?
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Chris Walke wrote:...I just don't understand such large collections....
It's just a love of the artform. I've said many times that a lap steel is just a plank with a pickup on it. What separates the various models is the design, which is entirely for appearance, and in no way affects the sound of the instrument. So those old lap steels are beautiful as works of art. No-one questions why someone would buy another painting when he already has several on his walls. People collect lap steels because they see beauty in the design. They're not depriving others of the playing of those instruments since you can still buy brand new lap steels. The only possible argument against this is that the old lap steels have a sound of their own because of the old pickups, but there are several suppliers out there who make pickups to the old specifications if you want that sound on a new instrument.
In this instance collectors are not depriving current players, but are preserving, and in many cases restoring, instruments that would otherwise end up being scrapped.
Tighe Falato

Post by Tighe Falato »

Richard,
I know of 7 owners with 10 out of the 25 shipped and would think a few have been been destroyed over the years. What I would like to lay my hands on is the matching amp with its maple cabinet!
Ok Howard.....fess up and show us a pic :whoa:
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

Alan F. Brookes wrote:
Chris Walke wrote:...I just don't understand such large collections....
It's just a love of the artform. I've said many times that a lap steel is just a plank with a pickup on it. What separates the various models is the design, which is entirely for appearance, and in no way affects the sound of the instrument. So those old lap steels are beautiful as works of art. No-one questions why someone would buy another painting when he already has several on his walls. People collect lap steels because they see beauty in the design. They're not depriving others of the playing of those instruments since you can still buy brand new lap steels. The only possible argument against this is that the old lap steels have a sound of their own because of the old pickups, but there are several suppliers out there who make pickups to the old specifications if you want that sound on a new instrument.
In this instance collectors are not depriving current players, but are preserving, and in many cases restoring, instruments that would otherwise end up being scrapped.
Hey Alan - if you're interested in where this discussion is going, Howard R kindly started another thread called "collections." I kind of go into more detail regarding my question, and there's been some great points made on either side of the issue. Thanks to you & all the others for posting your thoughts about this. :D
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Tighe Falato wrote:Richard,
I know of 7 owners with 10 out of the 25 shipped and would think a few have been been destroyed over the years. What I would like to lay my hands on is the matching amp with its maple cabinet!
Ok Howard.....fess up and show us a pic :whoa:

ha ha......wish I could..... :)