ZB Pedal Steel Guitars - Please help!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Guess it sold $1500 and free shipping. Nice buy!
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

I recently purchased ZB Custom s/n 005. I would post pictures but I'm afraid the ZB fans would cry. It's had a hard life. Originally D10 2 tone birdseye, now S10 with pad and I don't know what kind of all pull undercarriage and changer. The case is in very good condition!
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

Three (or four?) numbers off from Jerry's.
"Gopher, Everett?"
Geoff Cline

I seem to have fallen into a very deep hole?!

Post by Geoff Cline »

Just acquired this "ZB" that presents more questions than answers. So I thought I'd come to the fount of knowledge and ask What have I got?" and suggestions on what to do? It appears to be an old Zane Beck guitar that was once a D-10 and has had someone start (and NOT finish) to make it into a single neck. As you can see, there is a lot that is not original and a good amount that appears to be original...and there is no undercarriage (yet?). Still, it has a certain intrinsic beauty that called out to me. So, brothers and sisters, give me your best...

And it all came "wrapped" in an red tolex (HEAVY) case. Thanks y'all for ANY information.
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

Apart from virtually nothing on it resembling a ZB, the changer fingers appear to have been installed the wrong way around.
Jeremy Craft

Post by Jeremy Craft »

Well, it does resemble a ZB. Is it a 70's Ibanez?
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

I saw this on C-list... nice buy
I would play it as a lap or I can put u in touch with a guy who can put mod mechanics in it for you..
Wasn't there a run of short body's that had the rear horns sawed off ??
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Geoff Cline

Post by Geoff Cline »

richard burton wrote:Apart from virtually nothing on it resembling a ZB, the changer fingers appear to have been installed the wrong way around.
Headstock/tuners? Fingerboard with Zane Beck signature? Maple body and pedal bar with ZB marquetry and faded dye/color?

Hmmm...maybe it is an Ibanez :whoa: :lol: :roll:
Jeremy Craft

Post by Jeremy Craft »

Now to try to be helpful, rather than facetious:

The cabinet looks like a ZB, except for where the switchplate is mounted. The pedal board does not; my ZB has an extruded or machined aluminum rail and not wood. Also, the legs on mine are much more extended when it's at playing height. The pedals are not mounted similarly to mine, the pedals don't look like any ZB pedals I've ever seen, and the endplate isn't even close. The changer fingers are in backwards, and it's not a ZB changer anyway. The headstock, tuners and roller nut look genuine, as does the fretboard (I haven't seen a two-color signature before, but that could just be me). The bridge plate is not similar to mine, either, but it could be one of the "chopped"-style ones. The pedal rods are different, too. The pickup doesn't look stock, either, because of the hex key adjusting polepieces, and the switchplate is mounted facing up, rather than back.

It looks like someone tried to make their own ZB, even using some ZB parts. Maybe it's a prototype of some kind?

That's a great looking piece of wood, in any case. It appears to have a lot of potential. I love mix-and-match type instruments (although I wouldn't dream of doing that with a ZB!).
Geoff Cline

Post by Geoff Cline »

Jeremy Craft wrote:Now to try to be helpful, rather than facetious:

The cabinet looks like a ZB, except for where the switchplate is mounted. The pedal board does not; my ZB has an extruded or machined aluminum rail and not wood. Also, the legs on mine are much more extended when it's at playing height. The pedals are not mounted similarly to mine, the pedals don't look like any ZB pedals I've ever seen, and the endplate isn't even close. The changer fingers are in backwards, and it's not a ZB changer anyway. The headstock, tuners and roller nut look genuine, as does the fretboard (I haven't seen a two-color signature before, but that could just be me). The bridge plate is not similar to mine, either, but it could be one of the "chopped"-style ones. The pedal rods are different, too. The pickup doesn't look stock, either, because of the hex key adjusting polepieces, and the switchplate is mounted facing up, rather than back.

It looks like someone tried to make their own ZB, even using some ZB parts. Maybe it's a prototype of some kind?

That's a great looking piece of wood, in any case. It appears to have a lot of potential. I love mix-and-match type instruments (although I wouldn't dream of doing that with a ZB!).
Thanks Jeremy. My thoughts exactly. I'm exploring stripping off the bad, keeping whatever is ZB and seeing if it makes sense to make it a playable "rat rod" steel. I love ZB guitars.
B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

The pedal rods and pick-up are ZB from the 60's. Zane used allen screws for the adjustable pole pieces. They didnt switch to phillips head screws until the 70's. The nut roller is ZB also. Cant see the pedals well enough to tell but they could be too.

Greg
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

That was an original Zane Beck guitar. There are not many of those guitars left. That one was ruined by someone. What a crying shame. A piece of history down the drain.
Geoff Cline

Post by Geoff Cline »

Kevin Hatton wrote:That was an original Zane Beck guitar. There are not many of those guitars left. That one was ruined by someone. What a crying shame. A piece of history down the drain.
As they say in the bluegrass world...I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent."

This guitar will live again...somehow, some way...it's gonna happen.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

:D Greg Jones or Billy Knowles may be able to do it. I would suggest the body be refinished in a solid color because of all the holes that were drilled into it. Possibly black.
Mark Isakson

ZB Custom D10

Post by Mark Isakson »

I just picked up this 1969 (?) ZB Custom D10. It needs some love, but it plays fairly well. It's currently an 8+3, but I'm hoping to add another knee. The serial number is 1088, and the logo is missing from the front. It looks the flower design was added afterwards, though I can't be sure. Anybody out there know if ZB ever did decals like this?

I'd love to know anything about this instrument, if any of y'all have anything to share. I'm stoked to be part of this little club.
1967 ZB Custom D-10
1980 Sho~Bud Pro 1
Dr. Z Maz Jr.
Peavey Nashville 400
1978 Fender Tele
1966 Gibson Minuteman
1971 Gibson SG
1924 Weissenborn Type 2 Lap Steel
... and a bunch of other stuff.
B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

#1088 was invoiced on Sept. 11th, 1967 to Don Edwards. The guitar would have been built in Scranton, Ark. The flowers on the front have been added later and the whole guitar possibly refinished. You have a real tone machine there!! Nice guitar!!!

Greg
Mark Isakson

Post by Mark Isakson »

Thanks for the info, Greg! I appreciate it. As it happens, I was told by Jeff @ Show Pro that you might be the guy to speak with about tracking down a LKR for this instrument. Any ideas?

Also, is this the same Don Edwards who made the volume pedals? A quick Google suggests that he was both a pedal steel player and a shop owner in Denver. That would help explain how the instrument made it up to Seattle. (There is also a Don Edwards who is a Western musician. I've sent him/his agent an email to see if he is the same gentleman. The man is in his 80s and is certainly of the right age).

BTW, I picked this up for next to nothing from a gentleman south of Seattle who inherited it when he bought a studio. When I bought it the instrument was set up as a Day, and I've since flipped it to an Emmons, thus the desire to put one more knee lever on.
Last edited by Mark Isakson on 26 Jul 2011 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1967 ZB Custom D-10
1980 Sho~Bud Pro 1
Dr. Z Maz Jr.
Peavey Nashville 400
1978 Fender Tele
1966 Gibson Minuteman
1971 Gibson SG
1924 Weissenborn Type 2 Lap Steel
... and a bunch of other stuff.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

That is an original 1967 Zane Beck guitar. Very rare. Monster vintage tone. Great find. It looks in great shape.
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

Soon to have my Scranton D11 I bought from Ben Elder. It looks great and will post pics when it arrives. Can't wait. Greg Jones rebuild.
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

Greg Jones rebuild, Marv Pflueger on the finish. Even better in person.
John Ducsai

Post by John Ducsai »

Please pass the drool bucket......
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

John,

I'll email the bucket to you when I'm done drooling into it. :whoa:

We still need an emoticon that drools.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Very nice Chuck! You should be set for a while. :)
Chuck McGill

Post by Chuck McGill »

Now having my adjustments in place....THIS GUITAR IS GREAT. Congrats to Greg and Marv for the work.
Last edited by Chuck McGill on 10 Aug 2011 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Nice Chuck. Good job. Another ZB will live into another generation.