Nothing

Nothing to see here. Move along.
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

Alan Brookes wrote:Rick, I hope your patent on Nothing proves a good investment. My suspicion is that you have Nothing invested in it and hope to receive Nothing in return. 8)
I invested $0.00 in the deal.
So far, my investment has doubled every year.
Now it's worth $0.00 and that's better than NOTHING.
Gordon Borland

Busy

Post by Gordon Borland »

Thanks Alan but I am kinda busy in December.

The big bang was not the beginning. The big bang was the end....of nothing which is the topic of this thread.
Allan Munro

Re: Busy

Post by Allan Munro »

Gordon Borland wrote:...the end....of nothing...
Huh? So do we ask b0b to close the thread or what? If nothing is finished, does that mean everything goes on, or, is it that the end of nothing has arrived and the thread has reached a natural conclusion?
Only nuts eat squirrels.

Television is the REAL opiate of the masses!
Gordon Borland

To be done

Post by Gordon Borland »

Nothing needs to be done.
Savell

Post by Savell »

:aside:

A sea of words! Yet nothing to drink from.

A field of thoughts! Yet nothing to render us useful.

An empty vastmosphere of wasted emotions leaving nothing but emptiness to pine.

Naught shall we desire the less for the freedom of it be blessed.

:?
Gordon Borland

having

Post by Gordon Borland »

I'll have what he is having!
Larry Rafferty

Post by Larry Rafferty »

NASA has developed a new space vehicle powered by NOTHING. NOTHING is faster than the speed of light !
Mullen D-10 8x5; Sho-Bud Super Pro D10 8x6; PedalMaster 5 Star SD-10 3x5; Dekley D-10 8x4;
Sho-Bud S-10 3x1; Fender Lap/Floor Steel; Peavey Power Slide; Supro Lap Steel; Peavey Nashville 400;
pair of Peavey Vegas 400's; Peavey NV112; Webb 614E with matching extension cabinet; Fender Twin Reverb and 3 cats.

They laughed when I sat down to play, cause' somebody pulled my chair away...
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

You've solved the problem of interstellar flight in one go.

It reminds my of the Infinite Improbability Drive in The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy. A group of scientists proved mathematically that it was impossible that the drive did not exist, and, as soon as they proved that it was impossible that it did not exist, the drive instantly came into being. :whoa:

That's something out of nothing :whoa: .
Gordon Borland

Sorry

Post by Gordon Borland »

Sorry Larry but there is nothing to your story.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

The big bang seems to be something from nothing. In a universe where absolutely nothing exists, how could matter have suddenly come into existence ? I would have thought that in the absence of everything, the one thing you could guarantee is that nothing would happen. :\
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

But if the Universe is everything since the Big Bang how does NOTHING get back here ???
Gordon Borland

How?

Post by Gordon Borland »

Because Paul, someone is always trying to get the last word in on this thread.
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

I've been trying to kill this thing for months but each time I try, it starts all over again. It's NOTHING I'm doing is it ??? :?: :aside: :twisted:
Gordon Borland

Stated before.

Post by Gordon Borland »

Nothing needs to be done.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Nothing is not an entity. It doesn't exist. It's a word used to describe the lack of existence.
Gordon Borland

If

Post by Gordon Borland »

If it did not exist then why are we talking about it?
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

So, let me see if I got this right...NOTHING was here before the Big Bang and if we look far enough out, through the Universe, we can see the remnants of the BB. NOTHING must be farther out there which is why we see NOTHING. I'm not making sense; am I ?? In fact, NOTHING is making sense anymore !!
Gordon Borland

Okay

Post by Gordon Borland »

Paul,
Because nothing itself exits it must be talked about in terms of something that is without. It is akin to asking where is the exact middle?
Nothing does not need us to know it. It cannot be known by us. We surmise it only. It is a state of complete absence. Nature tends to fill a void. Even what we think of as nothing contains anti something so therefore it is not nothing. There are better things to ponder than nothing.
The thing is it is fun to think about nothing. :D
It is fun to see what others think about nothing. :)
People get upset over nothing. :x
Some people have no thought about nothing. :?:
Some people think they know all about nothing. :idea:
I sure don't have all the answers. :roll:
It will be fun to see the exact outcome of nothing. :whoa:
My guess is nothing will come of it. ;-)
Larry Rafferty

Post by Larry Rafferty »

Alan Brookes wrote:Nothing is not an entity. It doesn't exist. It's a word used to describe the lack of existence.
I must take exception to your statement. I have at times had a lot of Nothing. Just last week I had so much Nothing that I put a sign on my front lawn that read "Nothing for Sale."

Several cars pulled into my driveway. One fellow told me he already had Nothing; another couple told me that couldn't afford Nothing: a sweet old lady told me she was going on a trip and needed Nothing...so I told her I would give her Nothing for free! At the end of the day I realized I had made Nothing, and I have Nothing left to sell.
Mullen D-10 8x5; Sho-Bud Super Pro D10 8x6; PedalMaster 5 Star SD-10 3x5; Dekley D-10 8x4;
Sho-Bud S-10 3x1; Fender Lap/Floor Steel; Peavey Power Slide; Supro Lap Steel; Peavey Nashville 400;
pair of Peavey Vegas 400's; Peavey NV112; Webb 614E with matching extension cabinet; Fender Twin Reverb and 3 cats.

They laughed when I sat down to play, cause' somebody pulled my chair away...
Gordon Borland

Post by Gordon Borland »

You may not, you cannot have a lot of NOTHING.
You have a story about nothing.
You do not have nothing.
Nothing can be had. No it can't.
Nothing cannot be had.
I think NOTHING has HAD us! :aside: But then again it can't 'cause it don't exist.
Ya can't talk about nothing 'cause it don't exist! :x
Nothing can't kill nothing. The subject of nothing can't die. Nothing can kill it 'cept maybe b0b! :alien:
Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Don't know if b0b saw the movie DELIVERANCE but I'll bet he doesn't like that Banjer playing anymore then I do. I doubt if he would set us free because he would have NOTHING to gain !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

...trying to bring some sobriety into the whole discussion...

There's a basic problem with the word "Nothing". It obviously derives from "No Thing", so it is a description of the state of "Thing" and does not itself exist as an entity.

When one uses "nothing" in a sentence, where the use of "no thing" is inappropriate, one creates an artificial noun which was never intended to exist. There is no such thing as "nothing". "Nothing" is "no thing", and has no additional meaning.

When one tries to give "nothing" a meaning one is attempting to give the lack of something an individual existence which is doesn't have.

Imagine the word "house". There is no word "nohouse". If there were such a word, it would represent the lack of houses. "house" represents a solid, visible object that can be seen and interacted with, "nohouse" has no meaning other than its reference to the lack of house.

Similarly, "nothing" has no independant meaning. It relies entirely on the existence of "thing", and it merely states that there is no "thing".

All of the discussion here, centered around the possession, meaning, and existence, of "nothing", make no sense when one resolves the word "nothing" into its components, "no" and "thing". You cannot own "nothing" because when you say you have "nothing" you are saying that you have "no thing".

"Nothing" does not exist. "Thing" exists, and "No thing" is the absence of it.

Let's not get hung up in the structure of the English language. Try to translate "I have nothing" into other languages, and you immediately see why the problem exists.
The translation into French is "je n'ai rien", which literally means "I don't have anything".
In Dutch the translation would be "ik heeft niets", and that has the same problem, because "niets" means "niet iets", which is "not something". In all Germanic languages, which includes English, Dutch, Flemish, German, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Icelandic, there is a word similar to "niets", or "nix", which means "nothing", whereas in Latin languages, such as French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Roumanian, there is no such word. In those languages you can only translate "I have nothing" to "I do not have anything".

The problem with the construction, in English, of "I have nothing" is that it suggests that you have something which is called "nothing", whereas the correct meaning is that you do not have any thing. The verb "to have" suggests ownership, and the correct usage of the verb "to have" would be to follow it with a noun describing what you have. To follow it with "nothing" actually negates the verb construction "I have." Since you do not have anything, you cannot logically say "I have" followed by anything at all. By concluding the sentence with "nothing" you are creating an abuse of the language. You are substituting "I do not have", or "I have not" with a positive object which is in fact a representative of the negative.

In other words, you have the positive statement, "I have x" or the negative statement "I do not have x", but instead of using the negative statement, to say, "I do not have any thing", you are using the positive statement, "I have nothing", which implies that there is something called "nothing."

Upon the illogical assumption, that there is a positive entity under the name of "nothing", this entire discussion evolves. :whoa:
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

Sorry, Alan. You've gone too far.

shake head here

Arch.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

I shook head but nothing happened. Sorry, I mean I shook my head but there wasn't anything that happened, :whoa: :roll:
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

Alan, when I wanted to explore the history of the Battle of Bull Run, I vacationed in Manassas, Virginia.

When I wanted to experience the Running of the Bulls, I visited Pamplona, Spain.

But now, I go on vacation for four days without my computer and I come back to read your Running Bull. :lol:

...just kidding:
I agree with NOTHING you said, but I do agree with everything. ;-)