Will True Country Music Make A Comeback Without Deviations?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

A few years back in time country music was taken for granted throughout the state of Massachusetts. Small establishments with a bar and dance floor would somehow scrape up enough cash flow to keep small country bands busy on weekends. The ideal arrangements were booking into clubs where the managements were supportive of the true sounds of country music. By far, any bandleader who "always wished he/she could play the pedal steel guitar" and was constantly absorbed by featuring his steel guitarist at every opportunity, assured his/her "steelie" of the bandleader's confidences that oftentimes were lacking in stage presences. Hopefully, a new "wave" of sanity will surge from Pittsfield to Boston by back burner diplomacy. Somehow, rock oriented groups have managed to enjoy their days in the sun. To stop settling for anything less than the best, should be the rule of the day. Remind others that there are categories of achievements at the award shows. Country rock should be recognized for what it is. Those who may be bent on destabilizing true country entertainment have yet to meet the opposition.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Bill, people respond to GOOD music with a solid show.
Almost doesn't matter what kind of music.
If the days when any 5 piece with fiddle and steel can keep going without trying hard are over, that's not a bad thing.
Throw together a tight band with decent clothes and a show/front man that engages the crowd, and it won't matter WHAT you play.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

While lying in bed a couple of nights ago, I suddenly realized what they the (publishers) have accomplished. They are selling new country like hot cakes. Personally, I like country music with retentive value. For me, that is missing in what they are calling new country.
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

I am not and probably never shall be a proponent of modern country music. I just don't like it, period. It's not what I want to hear nor play. I guess it's because I played steel from the 70's to the 90's , sometimes playing 5 nights a week, playing steel of that era and really enjoying it. My wife and I had a band that worked a lot in the beginning and it slowly started to fade away for us. We wound up playing concerts a few times a year and to my surprise, we were well accepted. We moved to rural, upstate NY, 3 years ago and I thought my playing days were over, but, I have been asked to fill in for a local steel player and have found that, country music is alive and thriving in my neck of the woods. The band is booked from Spring through Fall into New Years Eve. I'm thrilled to be able to play some to half of the gigs. These people love the older, classic country. Occasionally, they do a newer tune, but, one that lends itself to steel easily. The band has a nice following and always gets good feedback from their listeners. I guess what I'm saying is, that, no matter what's being crammed into our ears from Nashville isn't always appreciated from the listeners. I'm not demeaning the new music, but, if you don't want to play it or listen to it there are other venues to be found, that, can be more compatible to your liking.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

John,

I want to thank you for your input concerning the direction that we are seeing young musicians travel into as soon as they can hold a guitar. Who knows what they will turn to when country rock loses its appeal. They could come back to wheedling traditional bandleaders as was a common practice during the 70's, 80's, and 90's of the last century.

John, I miss your great artistry on the pedal steel guitar, and I hope you are enjoying your new home.
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 14 Jul 2014 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

Thanks Bill. Our home up on the mountain is wonderful and my wife and I are enjoying our retirements. Kind of funny not having to HAVE to work everyday, but, I'm getting used to it. As I said, I've been lucky enough to get to play steel in a local band and it keeps my chops sharp and it's mostly fun. You be well and keep the posts coming.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

For quite some time I've noticed when pedal steel guitars are the subjects of interest by limited numbers of players, the average public figures display a pitiful ineptitude, second to none. It becomes one branch of study that underachievers are slow in moving forward to a level of understanding. More than are assumed by disinterested 3rd party onlookers find the challenge much too demanding. Paying the dues are worth every penny. Attempting to pass that along has proven to be difficult. :D