Bobby Bowman

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Larry King

Post by Larry King »

This was taken the same day in Spring, Texas. Note that Herb Steiner, one of Bobby's best friends, was playing with Bobby. I want someone to identify the guitar player.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Larry
I want to thank you SO MUCH, more than I can express in words, for your posting of that photo!

That day was the last I saw my closest friend alive, and the last time we played together.

I've saved that photo and will cherish it always.

Out of the picture, and to my immediate right, was Jody Cameron. Jody was equally close to Bobby, for years and years. Bobby requested that the three of us play together that afternoon.
Last edited by Herb Steiner on 15 Jul 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Tommy Young

Post by Tommy Young »

My condolences to his family and close friends may GOD BLESS and comfort them as only he can. he will certainly be missed in our small family.....
TOMMY YOUNG
MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS
BMI dealer,Classic VIBE 100 amp... SIT strings..
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

BTW, the benefit at which Larry's photos were taken occurred on April 27, 2014 and not the 2013 date he mentioned in a previous post.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Larry King

Post by Larry King »

Herb.....of course.....you're right...sorry
Dee Polish

Post by Dee Polish »

We all have had Bobby and Toni on our minds and hearts since we all first learned of his leukemia. It has amazed us all that he was with us long after the doctors all said he would be. However, the timing is not in the doctors hands, but only in God's hands. We all loved him. He never met a stranger and never lacked for friends. Paul and I are will miss him so much, but I believe he was with us until God prepared that ever so special place for him in Heaven. We should all look forward to the time when we will be with him again.
He was funny, he was loving, he was humble, he was grateful, he was one of the finest musicians and the cream of the crop to all who were privileged to know him. We love you, Toni. I am so thankful that Barbara Rosetta so faithfully called you and kept me up to date. I wanted to talk to you so often, I just knew I could not get through a conversation with you. Our hearts and prayers are with you before , now and later when we will talk or I will just be glad to listen. Rest well, Bobby.

Paul and Dee Polish
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Dee, we all know that you and Paul will be there in spirit if not in your physical presence. All of us in our family feel the love you both have for all of us.

Rose Sinclair

Post by Rose Sinclair »

Bobby never met a stranger. He gave me a big ol' bear hug right off the bat, as well as encouragement for my steel playing. Here's a photo of him playing with Pee Wee Whitewing at the 2011 Deep South Steel Guitar Show in Gulfport, MS, with Ray Harrison singing, Roy Rosetta at the piano...a nice memory. Condolences to Toni and family. May he rest in peace and may the rest of us carry on his good work in the world.
Kurt Kowalski

Post by Kurt Kowalski »

I loved Bobby!

Here we are at a Ball Game, drinking some beers and eating sloppy ball park hots with sauerkraut.

Love you Bb!

I'll see you a while ago!

"killer"
Red Kilby

bobby bowman

Post by Red Kilby »

My condolences to Toni. Rest in peace Bobby. It was a great pleasure meeting you. Linda Kilby
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

BB was such a wonderful human being... I doubt there was even one person that ever disliked him...
His kind demeanor and helpful nature were his hallmarks... Always there with good advice, and long suffering and patient when bombarded with dumb questions.. I know, because I asked plenty of them...
If I needed a few small parts, he sent them free,, Actually it cost him money to send them... I will miss his presence here as will everyone else.. RIP BB... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

I echo the above comments. Bobby, you will be missed, my Friend. R.I.P.
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"~old cowboy proverb.
shobud@windstream.net
Bob Bales

bobby b.

Post by Bob Bales »

he was always a true friend, never a bad word about anyone.....I could call him w/any steel guitar related problem and he would go out of his way to help....bobby you are greatly missed by all....
Skip Cole

Condolences

Post by Skip Cole »

My condolences,thoughts, and prayers go out to the Bowman family and friends, in this difficult time of sorrow. Bobby was one of the nicest, most helpful, and caring person, that i have ever had the pleasure
of meeting, from the steel guitar community. I have and will continue miss talking to him on the steel chatroom and phone. He always had a great sense of humor, with a good story or two to tell. May God bless and keep Mrs Bowman and the Family.

"T-Red"
Tommy Skelton
Red Banks, MS
Skip Cole

Condolences

Post by Skip Cole »

My condolences,thoughts, and prayers go out to the Bowman family and friends, in this difficult time of sorrow. Bobby was one of the nicest, most helpful, and caring person, that i have ever had the pleasure
of meeting, from the steel guitar community. I have and will continue miss talking to him on the steel chatroom and phone. He always had a great sense of humor, with a good story or two to tell. May God bless and keep Mrs Bowman and the Family.

"T-Red"
Tommy Skelton
Red Banks, MS
Dan Cooper

Post by Dan Cooper »

I'm so sorry to hear this. Bobby was very kind and helpful to me. I am sad that I won't get to talk to him again.
Dan Burnham

Good Bye My Friend

Post by Dan Burnham »

My heart is heavy for the loss of a dear friend and brother. Bobby was a dear friend for many years. RIP,
Dan
BMI S12 Zane Beck's Tuning
www.danburnham.com
Pete Walthall

b.b

Post by Pete Walthall »

i talk to bobby most every night for 6or 7 years met him 8 or10 times what a friend.i like what tony wilcox said he was always ready to talk about JESUS.i bet you got a guitar you like better than booger red. love bro.
Mike Brown

Bobby Bowman

Post by Mike Brown »

He will be missed.
Sandra Scott-Wall

Post by Sandra Scott-Wall »

The International Steel Guitar Convention sends its condolences to the whole Bowman Family. Bobby will be missed by all.
Steve Stallings

Post by Steve Stallings »

The service was a touching celebration of the life of someone who touched so many peoples lives. The eulogies delivered were filled with love. At one point, we all stood and gave Bobby a final standing ovation. Herb and Junior played beautiful steel that touched all. Randy Cornor sang a beautiful tune for Bobby. The most touching moment was the tender and loving thoughts given by Bobby's son, Paul. He focused on the love of Christ Bobby shared with all.
I loved bobby as a friend and mentor. He spent many evenings in my home. I will miss his smile and humor.
God bless you Bobby. I pray the Lord will comfort Toni and the rest of your family with the pain of loss and comfort them knowing that they will meet again.
Steve Stallings
Emmons Legrande II 8X5
jim flynn

RIP DOCTOR Bowman

Post by jim flynn »

This was a man worth his salt. A friend to all.
He'll be sorely missed, and for those who never met him
You missed a real gem.
I pray for the family.

Jim
Al Vesel

Post by Al Vesel »

What a loss!! Bobby, we'll all miss you my friend.
I will truly miss the long chats on the phone we had.
One thing would lead to another and before you knew it, it was a couple of hours.

God Bless you and you're not in pain anymore.

My prayers to you and your family Bobby.

Al & Darlene Vesel
Emmons LeGrande SKH D-10 - WALKER STEREO STEEL AMP w JBL ENCLOSURES & TC ELECTRONICS M-ONE XL PROCESSOR, HILTON VP,FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER, SARNO's Steel Guitar BLACK BOX,BJS,ToneMaster bars,FENDER Strat, FENDER & Ovation acoustic's
Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

Bobby has endured and shared the vicissitudes of life which we all must endure, and now he has gone home.

Success in life is not measured in money acquired, nor in possessions gathered, but in happy memories made for others, in kind deeds done, in friends made and faith, strength and constancy.

Thank you Bobby for being who you were, for your friendship shared with so many (through this forum and elsewhere), and for your musical legacy. RIP.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Sabine Prange

Post by Sabine Prange »

So sad news. He was such a charming guy and gentleman. I will miss him at the Texas jamboree. :cry:

Sabine