So, how was the convention for you?

Archived for historical reference

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Bryce Velasco

Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

Scott Henderson wrote:Tommy apology accepted...I guess I am a bit sensitive about this instrument I have bled over for the past 30 years. Just because I didn't do it in a major venue doesn't mean I don't love it. And a lot of us middle agers are sensitive by the way we feel we've been ignored...Their are a ton of great regional players!!!! Hope their is no hard feelings....
It upsets me that more local Steelers don't get to play the ISGC. Scotty Henderson is one of the better players in the nation, has paid his due's and should be invited to play this show. He dosen't have the name of a Tommy White or Mike Sigler (which I am a fan)of both, but Scotty is just as good. Scotty is just one local player that should be invited to the ISGC, IMHO
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

I was at ISGC twice in the late '90's.

The question has been asked about inviting younger players to the show. Help me identify some.

Eddy Dunlap, Robert Randolph, Travis Toy.

Who else?
Scott Shipley

Post by Scott Shipley »

Eddie Lange. One of the most underrated young steelers in the business, in my opinion.
Steve Hitsman

Post by Steve Hitsman »

Younger players won't necessarily attract younger attendees. Get Americana/alt-country players like Eric Heywood and Greg Leisz and you'll get younger fans.
Jim Peter

Post by Jim Peter »

Drew,

How about Rooselvelt Collier and Cris Scruggs
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

If you look at the posted pictures of this years convention and the Age of the players. I don't think younger players would feel too welcome. They are not going to show up to play Way to Survive and Cheating Heart. So would they be actually accepted?
Dave A Galloway

Post by Dave A Galloway »

This is my first post and first convention and I am 1 year new to the steel guitar. I had never heard of the ISGC before taking up the steel and joining the forum. I thought the show was GREAT! Got to meet some really nice people and make some great new friends. A lot of +'s and just a few -'s about the show. For someone who is GREEN (and I don't mean Lloyd) the intimidation factor to set down and try a new steel in front of hundreds of people walking around ain't going to happen. Wanted to, but didn't feel comfortable. I wondered if other newbies felt this way also and that the whole thing is really geared around players who are pro or semi-pro level. Maybe having an area devoted for 1yr or less players, private room for demo's to remove the intimidation would help vendors demo/sell more guitars.
Mr. Sweeney's seminar would have been great but it was targeted at mid-level and up and I'm not there yet, however, if the material was offered a couple of months in advance to study then a person like myself might probably still benefit by being familiar with what is coming and would get more out of it IMHO.
Getting NEW people there is one thing, reading the posts it sounds like their were a lot of first time attendees. Will they come back is the question? I would like to have been able to feel more part of it instead of a ticket holder to a concert. Need to figure a way for rookies to be able do things to have fun, feel involved, learn, try new product, not be embarrassed and have good time. Do you want to build the community and sell more product or have a concert?
Congratulations to Tommy W. Lynn O., and Rusty Y on their induction into the HOF!
Zum StageOne
My personal homebuilt SD10
1976 MSA Classic
Ronald Moore

Don't feel intimidated

Post by Ronald Moore »

Dave, I've seen newbees and experienced players sit down and try out steel guitars at the convention and nobody ever makes fun of a player that I have seen. All you have to do is get up the courage and just do it. If I am around when you do I'll just encourage you and I bet a lot of others would too. We are steel players and we are a family.
On the subject of getting new players involved, something could be done that the Northeast Iowa show does. They have the Jump Start program and a paticipant gets a steel guitar to learn on and lessons from a qualified teacher for 1 year. At the end of the year these students get to play a couple of tunes at the show. It is a high point of the show for me and a lot of people to see these students play the show.. For more information check out www.steelguitarjam.com and click on Jump Start. Ron
Bill Howard

Not getting the message???

Post by Bill Howard »

Paul E Vendemmia wrote:People that came was very low in numbers and the lack of vendors I'm sorry to say this but if it was a dog I would be looking for a vet to put him down i f eel bad saying this but it's true
It seems such a shame that all of the former great players who helped make the PSG Convention great is being undermined by skyrocketing prices.
Vendors down?? Yes..Why?? one psg builder told me he needed to sell at least 3 steels to warrant the cost of paying for vendor space, people come to any convention to buy and sell.. now with a gad-dozen other shows St Louis is losing it's Crown Jewel status.
At other shows people are allowed to buy,trade and sell used items not so in St Louis..then admission... Wow..Well that has changed a LOT since I went first time in 1979..I came around 12:00 noon Dewitt Jr told me not to worry about paying,I took an LTD 400 Home I bought from Scottys I'm sure that paid my admission, I don't understand why Scotty's doesnt let buying and selling go on they could charge a certain percent or flat fee and make money on it,in the past All I saw for sale steel wise was some very overpriced and VERY over played guitars..
I remember K mart commenting they didn't see Sam Walton until he about forced them out of business..
Just my opinion folks..I hate to see it...