Any More Buddy Emmons Surprises?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Jerry Overstreet wrote:How cool is that Brett? So glad you were able to meet Buddy.

I used to see him at the ISGC but he was always surrounded by admirers and autograph seekers...hardly any space to approach him...I would like to have said hello to him and told him how much I admired and appreciated his work on the steel guitar but I was also a little overwhelmed, timid and in awe of his huge persona. I was able to pass on a gesture from nearby and get one back once.

Dave Robbins, yeah, no slouch there. I sorely miss Dave around here. I always looked forward to his comments and info about what was going on around the Opry and in Nashville. Jerry, I'd wanted to meet Buddy since I started playing steel. When I stood in line to meet him, I kinda felt a little nervous because I didn't know what he would think of a man with cerebral palsy playing steel, but when I met him, I think it inspired me to play steel even more!

Like too many other pros, I think he just became disgusted with the amateur comments etc. and just stopped looking in several years before his death. Too Bad. One of my heroes and one of the best.

I believe he passed away last year. RIP