How many old MSA Guitar still around?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Frode Bjoernstad

Post by Frode Bjoernstad »

My MSA semiclassic s-10 with 4 pedals and 2 kneelevers made the trip from USA to up north here in Norway spring 2004. The Serialnumber is 1s107. Reese could you tell me what year and in what shape it left MSA ?
Frode
Reece Anderson

Post by Reece Anderson »

Frode B....Thank you for playing an MSA.

You have the distinction of owning one of the very first production MSA guitars ever made. At this point in time, your guitar is the oldest production model to which anyone has ever inquired. It goes so far back it was on the first page of the first production book.

At that time we didn't enter specific completion dates into record. I can however tell you it would have been made in middle to late 1973. It was originally shipped to "Coast Music".

It would be great if you would place pictures on the forum of a 32 year old MSA.
Phil Sikes

Post by Phil Sikes »

One more for the list. My first and only is 1C215 a Universal with 8 and 5 that I love like crazy. If I had known how much fun this was I would have started a long time ago..

Phil
Reece Anderson

Post by Reece Anderson »

Phil S....Well whadoyah know, 1C215 is a bingo. Your guitar was originally made for Junior Knight. He'll be glad to know it's found a great home.
Frode Bjoernstad

Post by Frode Bjoernstad »

Thanks Reece!
Wow.. It's cool to know the history of the guitar. It's in 98% mint condition, and it looks real nice. The pick up sound's a bit thin and have been quite microphonic until i rewaxed it. It's quite a struggle to tune it perfect as well (push/release?), but I enjoy it real much! I guess it probably is a kind of collectors item, but it's in regular use in the Oslo clubs. I don't have a detailed picture of it, but i have a couple of concert shots of me playing it. But I don't know how to post them.. I can email them to someone who knows if anyone is interested?

Have a nice day!
Frode
Phil Sikes

Post by Phil Sikes »

Holy Cow, I have a famous steel!! I sure wish Junior had left a few of his hot licks on the fretboard for me. I do appreciate the info Reese, can you tell me when it was built and how it was outfitted when it left the factory?

Thanks - Phil
Reece Anderson

Post by Reece Anderson »

Frode B....I have an update for you concerning your MSA.

New information brought to my attention during a conversation today at MSA provides the conclusion your guitar was made in May or June of 1971, which adds even more distinction to your guitar.

Phil S....While at the MSA factory today I spoke with Junior about your guitar and he told me he had already contacted you and expressed his excitement that his old MSA had finally re-surfaced. He was also excited to know it still had the original raised fretboard.

In answer to your question....your guitar left the factory with 7 pedals and 5 knee levers.

If and when you ever want to sell it, I hope you give Junior the right of first refusal.
Bart Maloney

Post by Bart Maloney »

Hey Reece, how are you? I just got a s-10 MSA Classic that I am having world of fun on. I was curious if you could tell me a little of the history on it. Here is the number '1C5774' Thanks and have a great day!

------------------
"Keep on Keepin' on"
www.bartmaloney.iwarp.com

Reece Anderson

Post by Reece Anderson »

Hi Bert....I'm doing great, thank you for asking. Welcome to what we consider to be the "MSA family".

Serial number 1C- 5774 shows to be an emerald green single 10 which left the factory with 3 pedals and 4 knee levers.

It originally went to Brook Mays Music in Dallas. Your guitar was born in July of 1977, however the exact date was not entered into record.

Thank you for your inquiry and all the best to you and yours.
Bart Maloney

Post by Bart Maloney »

Hey Reece, Thanks so much. The guitar is still green and i am just loving it. Thanks so much for the help. Take care.

------------------
"Keep on Keepin' on"
www.bartmaloney.iwarp.com

Roger Losey

Post by Roger Losey »

I own a 77 MSA Classic walnut D10 8/4, and an MSA Sidekick. I love them both and since I am just learning to play, I can't wait to hear the beautiful sounds that I know they are capable of producing! The Classic is all original and as solid as the day it was built.

------------------
ROGER
'77 MSA CLASSIC D10 8/4, MSA SIDEKICK, PEAVEY SESSION 400, GOODRICH 120
Grant Johnson

Post by Grant Johnson »

I love my 1974 Classic D-10!
<image src="http://www.bigsmokey.com/MSA4">

When I have the funds I hope to get a Classic SS D-10 in the Cherry Laquered Maple.
I love the warm tone of the Super Sustain Pick-Ups.
Lincoln Keegan

Post by Lincoln Keegan »

Let me start by saying I'm new to the pedal steel guitar. I picked up an MSA Classic? PSG (S/N 2C5935) after researching steel guitars for several months. I based my decision mainly on the opinions and comments from forum members regarding MSA guitars: reliability, loyalty, and pride seem to run quite deep in the MSA family. She needs some TLC so I thought I'd start by tearing her down and refurbishing. This will certainly provide me with a solid understanding of how this instrument works (mechanically speaking) before I actually start playing. Also, I've seen some beautiful restoration photos on this forum so I know it's possible. If I run into problems - this Steel Guitar Forum is always here. I'm hoping to learn as much as possible about this late 1970's?, lacquered maple? MSA guitar (Currently configured as an SD10 - 3 X 5). Any information or photos of "sister" guitars from this same time period would be greatly appreciated...