Today's music isn't any good.

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Jamie Mitchell

Post by Jamie Mitchell »

Barry Blackwood wrote:Pleased to oblige you, my judgmental friend.. :)
that's not being judgemental, you stated that fact in the post directly preceding.
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

You're not really expecting from a over sixty- year old person to listen to Rap and Hip Hop to find out the nuances, do you?
I think there's a lack of support and interest of those who are mourning the state of music from a conservative standpoint:
Who is still buying new records from older artists like JD Souther or even Tom Petty. I think not a single person on the Forum.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Barry Blackwood wrote:
Pleased to oblige you, my judgmental friend..

that's not being judgemental, you stated that fact in the post directly preceding.
What fact and what post are you referring to?
Also, the comment was addressed to Mr. Rhodes, not you.
Jamie Mitchell

Post by Jamie Mitchell »

since i just lost my long, possibly-snarky-football-announcer style recap of the last few posts, i'll simply say that if you were seeking responses only from Dustin, perhaps a private message is in order.

the jist of it is that you stated you were closed minded on this topic, he said 'that's unfortunate', you said he was judgmental, i said he's not. ya?

anywho! more of da new musikz i lovzzz

http://youtu.be/t-e4YJ-3Cb0

edit: i feel compelled to say that anyone can like/dislike whatever they want.
it is what it is.
but, sometimes, these discussions feel insulting to the many young musicians who are working hard, and making incredible music, right now. that's all
Barry Blackwood

the jist of it is that you stated you were closed minded on this topic, he said 'that's unfortunate', you said he was judgmental, i said he's not. ya?
I felt he was being judgmental by labeling me close minded. At the risk of taking this thread even further off course, I must ask you - if that's not judgmental, what would you call it?
Dustin Rhodes

Post by Dustin Rhodes »

Joachim Kettner wrote:You're not really expecting from a over sixty- year old person to listen to Rap and Hip Hop to find out the nuances, do you?
I think there's a lack of support and interest of those who are mourning the state of music from a conservative standpoint:
Who is still buying new records from older artists like JD Souther or even Tom Petty. I think not a single person on the Forum.
You're not really expecting us to treat a 60 year old person like they're immune to having their mind changed are you?
Dustin Rhodes

Post by Dustin Rhodes »

Barry Blackwood wrote:
I felt he was being judgmental by labeling me close minded. At the risk of taking this thread even further off course, I must ask you - if that's not judgmental, what would you call it?
Posting what you did and then being surprised at my response is like admitting to not wearing deodorant and being shocked when someone says you stink.
Barry Blackwood

Whatever. We've all expressed our (dissenting) opinions and now it's down to the he said/he said game. I'm satisfied having nothing more to add.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Attacking each others personalities does nothing to further the topic, which is music. :(
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Joachim Kettner

Dustin Rhodes wrote:
Joachim Kettner wrote:
You're not really expecting us to treat a 60 year old person like they're immune to having their mind changed are you?
No I don't, I listened to the examples, but wait till you get over sixty, if you're still as open to new music as you're now.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Joachim Kettner wrote: No I don't, I listened to the examples, but wait till you get over sixty, if you're still as open to new music as you're now.
I can be curmudgeonly about certain things, but it is difficult for me to be that way with regard to music. I hear plenty of music that I don't care for, and I am mostly not a fan of mainstream music in any genre, but I get surprised every now and then.

I do still buy and listen a ton of new music (or music from the past that I haven't heard before)--it is one of life's greatest joys for me.
Dustin Rhodes

Post by Dustin Rhodes »

Mike Neer wrote:
Joachim Kettner wrote: No I don't, I listened to the examples, but wait till you get over sixty, if you're still as open to new music as you're now.
I can be curmudgeonly about certain things, but it is difficult for me to be that way with regard to music. I hear plenty of music that I don't care for, and I am mostly not a fan of mainstream music in any genre, but I get surprised every now and then.

I do still buy and listen a ton of new music (or music from the past that I haven't heard before)--it is one of life's greatest joys for me.
I'm still in my 20's and I can be curmudgeonly too. I don't care for bad music. There is good and bad in every genre out there though. To dismiss a genre or period of music outright though is just a combination of willful ignorance and laziness.
Stefan Robertson

Post by Stefan Robertson »

Music is meant to communicate a sentiment.

Old or new doesn't matter.
Good vs bad. Agreed I am not a fan of some but if a man expresses himself as best as he can with his ability. The least I can do is appreciate the effort even if I don't like the music.

Looping and sampling in hip hop to create a beat started after music programs in inner city areas had been cut. So many artists in hip hop never were exposed much less had the opportunity to play instruments to create music but they innovated and still found another way to create and express.

Also I love technically proficient players but I also have an appreciation for less proficient and more emotional songwriting.

And to respond to the comment about loud distorted music disguising bad playing.
Didn't jazz and classical music then have the ability to say that about players like Hendrix or Bbking. Just saying.
Stefan
Bill Hatcher custom 12 string Lap Steel Guitar
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"
b0b

Post by b0b »

Back to the original complaint, this article in The Atlantic describes how the biggest hit songs today have nothing to do with musicianship. Few of us old guys pay any attention to that kind of "music", but it is still a very big business.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Wayne Carver

Post by Wayne Carver »

b0b wrote:Back to the original complaint, this article in The Atlantic describes how the biggest hit songs today have nothing to do with musicianship. Few of us old guys pay any attention to that kind of "music", but it is still a very big business.
Wow, that's an interesting read on the music industry.
Scott Duckworth

Post by Scott Duckworth »

B0b, that article is along the same lines that prompted me to start this thread. Some points:
Sonically, the template has remained remarkably consistent since the Backstreet Boys,
Right, it's the same music, right down to the style, chords, and 5 note vocal, just regurgitated.
The music is manufactured to fill not headphones and home stereo systems but malls and football stadiums.

I thought the sound mix on America's Got Talent was HORRIBLE! Way too much music and not enough voice!
The songs are written industrially as well, often by committee and in bulk. Anything short of a likely hit is discarded. The constant iteration of tracks, all produced by the same formula, can result in accidental imitation—or, depending on the jury, purposeful replication.
Again, same old stuff regurgitated...
Hitmakers today don’t only create hits. They create “artists.”
Notice "Artists". They don't care if the artist has talent.
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i'm a pretty open minded guy when it comes to personal expression. ..so just for fun i googled 'most common terms in rap...'
i can't even post the results here due to forum policy, i'm sure, but suffice it to say your children are being force fed gross ugly low-class obscene crap in the guise of 'art'.
some of you may dig it, but it made me more close-minnded!
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

"Hey you kids! Get off my lawn! And quit breathing my air"
Die with Memories. Not Dreams.
Good Stuff like Zum S-12, Wolfe Resoport
MSA SS-12, Telonics Combo.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

that joke has been repeated alot on here, but to me the degredation of a society's morals is a little more serious.
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

That is what my father said about the beatniks!
Die with Memories. Not Dreams.
Good Stuff like Zum S-12, Wolfe Resoport
MSA SS-12, Telonics Combo.
Rich Upright

Post by Rich Upright »

Mainstream music today is pure garbage. There IS a lot of good stuff, but you won't find it on FM radio or TV. Here are a few examples:

Jamey Johnson
Whitey Morgan
Amber Digby
Kim Murray
Miss Leslie Sloan
Dawn Sears
Sturgil Simpson

I won't even comment on rap, as I consider it garbage that is even worse than what comes out of the filthiest sewer on the planet.
A couple D-10s,some vintage guitars & amps, & lotsa junk in the gig bag.
Stefan Robertson

Post by Stefan Robertson »

With ALL genres of SONGS.
From punk, hip hop, country, death metal, to jazz, r&b, rock, EDM, grunge etc there is good and there is bad.

Classical even has songs that can bore or be offensive crap.

But I would be foolish to write off an entire genre due to it.

MUSIC is that language expressed via a feeling to whatever instruments one has at their disposal. It's the TONGUE.

Lyrics can use that language in songs to say the best of words or the worst. But the language is music that I enjoy.

Their is a difference between music and lyrics.

And in response about that article with hit makers etc. Most music you hear on the radio is from hit making rubbish. HOWEVER ask yourself how much music do you actually listen to on a radio. If radio is still your main means of musically edifying your musical tongue then you're missing out on a whole world of talent. Try YouTube and just search for an artist that inspires you. There are enough links to keep you busy for a lifetime.
Stefan
Bill Hatcher custom 12 string Lap Steel Guitar
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"
Barry Blackwood

Classical even has songs that can bore or be offensive crap.

I would rather listen to the worst of Classical music than the best rap has to offer..
Joachim Kettner

There is good and bad in every genre out there though. To dismiss a genre or period of music outright though is just a combination of willful ignorance and laziness.
Man I wish I had your problems!
Jamie Lennon

Post by Jamie Lennon »

Corbin's new stuff is about as bubblegum Nashville as can be.
Eastono music is not bubblegum country. Our show is very country. Yes some tracks a r email more commercial. There's no rapping and it not bro country. Most of the males today all sound the same. Easton doesn't sound like everyone else. He is very country. But to stay a float you have to go a little more commercial too. On the show we play all he oldDer stuff and hits.

Jamie
Mullen Guitars, Little Walter Amps, Benado Effects, D'Addario Strings

www.georgettejones.net