Bobby Bowman

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Austin Tripp

Post by Austin Tripp »

You know its always tragic to lose someone such as Bobby, a staple to the steel guitar community. I've chatted with him back and forth but never had the honor of meetinv him although like everyone else said, when we talked it was as if we had known each other for years. May you rest in peace Brother Bobby. Even though your "traveling" days have ended here on earth, your eternal traveling has just began in the kingdom not made with hands but eternal in heaven.

Austin Tripp
JW Seneca Masonic Lodge #185
Seneca SC
David Hubenak

Post by David Hubenak »

Very sad news. Bobby was an inspiration to everyone who plays the steel guitar. I will always remember his advice to me in playing and maintaining the instrument. Condolences to his wife Toni and entire family.
D-10 Mullen RP Telonics TCA-500a Combo Amp, Peavy Nashville 400s, 1000, session 400 limited, Nashville 112, Telonics VP, DD3
Paul Wade

bobby bowman

Post by Paul Wade »

very sad news what a nice man and great steel player.
prayers go out to the bowman family...

p.w
Billy Carr
Restricted

Bb

Post by Billy Carr »

I didn't get on my computer at all yesterday, Sunday 7-13-14. I really hated to see this post about Bobby but now I know he's at peace and in Heaven. RIP my buddy. Toni will be in our thoughts and prayers, as well as, the family. There was two steel players that played important roles in my getting started playing in 71'. Bobby and John Hughey. Thanks guys!
Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

Well, I sure hate to hear this bit of bad news, and even more now, I hate I missed the TX show earlier this year. Looking forward to the show next March, but there will definitely be a huge void. RIP friend.
Albert Talley

Post by Albert Talley »

A great loss of a friend, musician, brother in Christ. I received the call Sunday morning. It was something we knew was going to happen, but it still hits like a bomb.

I will miss his wit, playing, that silly laugh, and the friendship we have shared since the sixties and talking always with love for each and every player.

For the TSGA, we will miss his playing, his MC work, and his auction ability to raise money for the Benevolent Fund. Words cannot express our feelings. Please keep Toni and the family in our thoughts and prayers.

Rest in peace my brother. See you on Resurrection Day!

Albert Talley and the TSGA
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Like so many others, I write this with a heavy heart and tear-filled eyes.

My thoughts of Bobby are, again, like so many others. Bobby was a man who reached out to those around him to help, advise, encourage or maybe just to say hi. His compassion for people was genuine, and although the times I've talked with Bobby in person are too few, from the very first time, he made me feel like an old friend. Mr. Bowman truly brightened that day, as well as every other day I was privileged to visit with him or email with him.

To Toni and all of Bobby's family I quote my Lord, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted" [Mat. 5:4]

To Bobby (I know you're perusing the 'Forum' in heaven) I quote my Lord, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God" [Mat. 5:8]

Farewell to you my friend.

Glenn
Steelin' for Jesus
Dan Klotz

Post by Dan Klotz »

Like so many of the previous posts, Bobby treated me like a long lost friend from the instant we met. I took my old MSA to his house to have a look at. I walked out the door about 5 hours later after him doing some work on the guitar, giving me plenty of beginner's tips, and watched the Texan's game with Bobby and Toni.

I was not surprised to see how many people were at his benefit. You could tell that he touched a lot of lives.

Bobby was one of a kind and will be greatly missed.
W. Van Horn

Post by W. Van Horn »

RIP friend. Such a sweet soul!!
Buck Reid

Post by Buck Reid »

So long for now Bobby... we're gonna miss you but I'm happy you're free of the agony you endured. I'm grateful for our friendship and send heartfelt condolences to the family. RIP Mr. Bowman!
Louie Hallford

Post by Louie Hallford »

deleted double post
Last edited by Louie Hallford on 16 Jul 2014 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Louie Hallford

Post by Louie Hallford »

Although I have known Bobby from seeing him at steel shows. Several years ago he was working on his own Bowman guitars at a friend machine shop in San Antonio as well doing work on Herb Remingtons guitars. When I was in town,which was fairly often I would often meet him for lunch or dinner. Needless to say we developed a very close friend ship which I will never forget. REST In Peace MY GOOD BROTHER.

Toni keep the faith. These are the times when our families,friends and especially our Savior Jesus Christ become even more important in our lives. God Bless You
Last edited by Louie Hallford on 16 Jul 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick Guenther

Post by Patrick Guenther »

RIP my friend!
Bob Kindy

Post by Bob Kindy »

Many have already said so many good things about Bobby and each one express the exact way I feel. I am not a great player but Bobby always made me feel as if I was. His help on repairs, building, and encouragement will never be forgotten. His friendship I will always hold dear. I hope he knew just how many folks loved him. I miss you Brother.
Don Mogle

Bobby Bowman

Post by Don Mogle »

My heart aches after reading this post even though I knew it was coming. I knew Bobby for only a short time, but he was always kind and gracious to me.

Bobby responded to the call to rebuild my Emmons P/P and he did a wonderful job. I'm thankful that I was able to have one of the best PP mechanics around to work on this beautiful guitar. A few months ago, he stopped by the house to check it over to make sure everything was still in good working order. He was that kind of guy. There will never be anyone quite like BB.

Thank you Bobby! I'll see you again someday.

Don
Charles Tilley

Bobby Bowman funeral

Post by Charles Tilley »

If anyone from the Dallas area is going to Bobby:s funeral and needs someone to go and share expenses, please let me know. I am 82 and my family had asked me not to go alone.
Otherwise i will be unable to attend the funeral.
Charles Tilley ,
Princeton, Texas
W. Van Horn

Post by W. Van Horn »

Has a date/location been set for Bobby's funeral?
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

When I attended my very first Dallas show, about 12 years ago, I didn't know a soul there.....I was just kind of meandering around the main room looking at the booths when this friendly bear of a man came up to me, looked at my name tag, welcomed me with a huge bear hug, and thanked me for coming all the way from NY (as he said)...I have never forgotten that, and every year thereafter he did the same.....always made me feel so welcome like a long lost family member......

His passing saddens me and I will miss my yearly welcome....My sympathy goes out to his family and may Bobby rest in peace and suffer no more......
Patrick Guenther

RIP my friend!
Patrick Guenther

RIP my friend!
Lee Barber

Post by Lee Barber »

Arrangements are posted in a different post in this section, but keep posting your comments here about this great man here.
Fessenden, Emmons PP D10
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

I too was bummed to hear the of the loss of Mr. Bobby, Though I did not know him personally, the first thing I did was call my friend Billy Tam. Because I knew Mr. Bobby was friend of his. Bobby was another great I wanted to meet. Bobby did some work on my EMCI, when Billy had it. He did some great work. RIP Mr. Bobby, your instrument of ten strings is waiting for you.
Tommy Shown
Raymond Keller

Post by Raymond Keller »

Prayers for Toni and family during this difficult time, Bobby who always had a smile , will be missed by everyone who knew him. May God be with you. Raymond and Shirley Keller
Tom Palmer

Post by Tom Palmer »

My condolences to Bobby's family. God only made one Bobby Bowman and he lit up any room he was in. He was always happy, knowledgeable, encouraging, and had a great since of humor, not to mention an excellent musician. He was an instant friend to everyone he met. I am glad I got a chance to meet him and enjoy the fine person he was. I will miss him.
Larry King

Post by Larry King »

Image[/img]

Always smiling, always friendly, I was glad to call him friend. This picture was taken at the Track-Shack in Spring, Texas during his fundraiser in Nov. 2013. I miss him and am praying for Toni.