Pick Blocking

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

P Gleespen

Post by P Gleespen »

As you can see, we have gone from "how to palmblock" to "is it right to delete your post to take away the fuel to the fire so the fight goes away". That's what I think is goofy--really goofy.
You're right about that. That is pretty goofy. :) :wink:
Patrick
Emmett Roch

Post by Emmett Roch »

James, I don't "just have to know" anything about you.

I don't owe anything to you or Jim. I happened to notice that he was the one who was retaining some civility, and I commented on it.

I do have the right (and the inclination) to express my views, and I'd rather you not try to pull me into any disagreements you're having with someone else.

I'd rather we all just keep it friendly.
On Earth, as it is in Texas
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Emmet, I'm sorry if I offended you in anyway shape or form---that's not my intentions!! Same to you Patrick!! But your comments led me to defend myself, and that's MY right. You involved yourself with your comment, Emmet. The only thing you owe me is, what I owe you--respect on the forum. I don't know what burr you got under your saddle, but as I stated, I wish this thread would get closed. I'm not interested in "drawing" anyone into this---I stated once already I wish the thread would close. You want to stay friendly, it works best to BE friendly. You sound anything but friendly to me. If you have a beef with me, keep it off the forum and email me, I'm sure it can be worked out.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

For my efforts to help someone who asked for help, I've been challenged, and so I've said my piece. Go back a few comments and read my piece, if you like. But I now take my leave, as this argument has nothing to to with palmblocking or pickblocking or anything that pertains to the thread topic. If anyone wishes to continue this "discussion", clic on my email, and do it privatly, if it's that important. Peace.
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

James, FWIW I wasn't really jumping on you muc (you may have felt that way - if so, I apologize). But there were some SO convinced they were "right"...one more than others...(you were NOT one of those, and I hope I pointed that out) that players could be steered wrong by making the assumption that there must be one RIGHT way (and yes, I WILL sometimes try to take the wind out of the sails of people like that). You didn't do that, but got caught up a bit (I think) in morale support for those that did.

But when the posts are deleted by the posters you see what happens.

James, I know YOU agree with the ideal of doing what works for YOU - and I think it's apparent I was interested in EVERY method presented...the only real negative view I had was of what I called (and will continue to call) a contorted hand position that the guy who taught it admitted was uncomfortable, and I found downright painful.

As far as my not presenting the doctor's information, when someone (not you) posts something as irrelevant as "how long has the doctor played steel guitar?" (ask Dr. Jobe how long he's been playing baseball...) it's futile.

I do have a beef with you making apologies to someone for my posting negative reviews, but I've explained that...but I think those posts were erased by you as well. Don't apologize for me - and I would suggest never to apologize for a review. Disagree, sure - but apologizing to the late writer and his widow for someone ELSE not agreeing with his very specific views on a subject is out of line.

As has been pretty clearly presented, I responded negatively to attacks - oherwise I thanked people for their insight, discussed the ins-and-outs of old injusries...maybe even added some humor.

What I didn't do was shove a single technique down anyone's throat (suggesting that those techniques may work fine for some players, as you might recall) and tried to keep on a fairly even keel - if it works for you and doesn't cause injury, don't be afraid to play that way just because someone insists you need to do it their way.

And by certain folks deleting their posts and leaving my reactions, coupled with the reactions of others to the entire mess - well, it sure looks like some people really wanted to bury their comments asap.

FWIW James, you did help. Bu somehow you got caught up in some other people's hero-worship and insistence on whats's correct at least in my view. I'm sorry that happened, because I believe you are a good guy with good intentions. And I mean that from the heart.

OK?
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Hey Jim, That sounds like the Sliff I know. Apology accepted(do we hafta hug now? HA!!)

However, I was not apologising for someone else, I was apologising THAT the comments were even made. Kinda like "I wish you didn't have to hear that". It's about respect to the survivors of someone that meant so much and STILL means so much to the steel community. Does not matter if you agree or not agree with his methods---it's the tone that you come across with. I'm sure you didn't mean to come off callous, Jim.

I don't mean to step on anyones toes here, but when a person responds to an issue he does not agree with, and he responds in a negative way, it causes offence, and people naturally get riled up and start choosing sides. BUT respond to something you don't agree with with in a POSITIVE way and tone, and the "agree to disagree" works really well.

Negativity is CALLED negativity because it brings out the worst in people--they are put on the defense.

A person can disagree in a POSITIVE manner--it's ok to do that. If one would think of the fellow forumite as one sitting across the table drinking coffee with you as a friend, a person might consider "respecting" that forumite's feelings, though he disagrees with the forumite's pointe. So we should also be respectful of folks on the forum. A person will keep alot more friends that way.

Typing in itself handicaps this concept, but that's why b0b put an edit button for us to use. As you found out, I'd rather be critised for editing/deleteing my part of a conversation, than to keep trying to overcome negative responces. (Watch it--I have an edit button, and I know how to use it!! :P )And I respect Duane for his choice to delete his comments---as the futility of arguing against negativity became obvious. It all became pointless. But seems everyone is settling down a tad. Jim I respect you coming forth with your last post. Thanx