Best choices in Tube Amps for steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jeff Strouse

Best choices in Tube Amps for steel

Post by Jeff Strouse »

Well, I just had an amp go bad, so I’m in the market for a new one. I’d like to try out a tube amp...you know, the kind the sounds great with non-pedal steel. The only effect I use is reverb, so it must have that. But I have a few more things to consider...

1. Weight – It has to be light weight...I know it can’t be a microcube, but my Peavy Nash 400 never leaves it’s resting place because it’s so heavy. I would like something with comfortable portability.

2. Maintenance – I don’t know much about electronics, so would like something durable, and as maintenance free as possible. This is the only thing that keeps me from considering a vintage tube amp. I’d probably have to get one shipped too, as the local music stores only carry new stuff. If an old one is damaged in transit or needs work in general, I guess I could always find someone who can “fix it up.” Some of those vintage amps have such a cool look to them, but I don’t want to blow the speakers or tubes if I turn up the volume.

3. Cost – Don't want to break the pocketbook...I need the best bang for the buck! Image

There are a lot of good choices out there, but could I get something for $300 - $400?

I’m going to head up to my local music
store within the next couple of days just to see what’s out there. But if anyone had some good recommendations, I’d certainly appreciate it. There’s some old forum posts I’m going to sort through, but any updated advice would be most welcome.

Thanks a bunch!
Roman Sonnleitner

Post by Roman Sonnleitner »

I personally use a Carvin Vintage 16 for both lap steel and regular guitar (Telecaster) playing.
http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=VINTAGE16&CID=VINT

This is a sturdy, yet relatively lightweight tube amp.
It has a rather warm sound, plenty of mid frequencies, less treble than Fender amps, good for 'hot' rock sounds or for sounds similar to very old, small tube amps (like those used for lap steels in the 1930s/'40s).
It is only 16 Watt, so the amount of clean headroom is not huge - but enough for playing with a drummer, I even gigged with it in smaller venues (bar/pub with an audience of about 50 - 70 people), for larger clubs you would have to mike it and run it through the PA.
The reverb of the Carvin is rather subtle and dark - I personally prefer to use an Electro Harmonix Holy Grail pedal to get a huge, bright reverb.
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

Jeff, the Peavey Valve King is a good amp and it's in your price range.

For approximately the same price you can get a Peavey Nashville 112. Even though it's solid state I prefer it over the Valve King, mainly because it has a fatter sound.
Both amps have decent spring reverbs, and both amps are relatively light weight compared to the NV400.

Bobbe Seymour carries both models, and you won't beat his price anywhere.
You can stop by my studio and try them both out if you like.
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

Before you do anything hasty you will want to read a thread called, "My new amp-solid state" from right here on the nonpedal section of the forum. Several lightweight and excellent sounding solid state amps are discussed there, the most praised of which is the Roland Cube 60. Before putting out money for a new amp I think you might want to at least consider all the possibilities. Image
Lynn Oliver

Post by Lynn Oliver »

Somewhere in this forum Dan Tyack recommends the Peavey Classic 30 as one of the best amps ever for non-pedal steel.

Found it: http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum11/HTML/009322.html

------------------
Lynn Oliver
Image Image

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Lynn Oliver on 01 November 2006 at 11:09 AM.]</p></FONT>
Terry VunCannon

Post by Terry VunCannon »

A Fender Blues Jr.(Tube) is also a perfect amp for lap steel. 15 watts & a 12" speaker...sweet. I also have an old Peavey Bandit 65(Solid State) that is good for lap, found it for about $120.00.
For larger stages I use a Mesa Boogie DC-3 or a Peavey Classic 50 w/2 12's, but for smaller stages I will gladly use the Jr. or Bandit.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Terry VunCannon on 01 November 2006 at 11:19 AM.]</p></FONT>
Lynn Oliver

Post by Lynn Oliver »

This may be slightly off-topic, but has anyone tried a Little Lanilei amp with lap steel?
http://www.songworks.com/3350lt.html

------------------
Lynn Oliver
Image Image

Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Let's take Rick's post to use as an example: If one is in the market (I should be a few months down the line) for ONE amp that sounds good for both lap and pedal steel, which way should I go?

Between those two Peaveys-is it the Valve King, ot the Nashville 112, and why?

------------------
Mark
Mark Vinbury

Post by Mark Vinbury »

After carefully considering a number of 1x12 tube and transistor amps (Fenders, Peavey Classic 30,Vox,Marshall, Crate etc.), I just bought a used Crate V30 tube amp(actually a V3112) for $325.

It's had great reviews on Harmony Central and other places.
I've tried it with my guitars. Six and 8 string Lap Steels with humbucker and
TruetoneTT-8 and my Tele and HSS Ibanez.
So far it is the best sounding,reasonably priced, small amp I've heard.
It is a "class A" design which I haven't owned before (always had Fenders,vintage Twins and recently a 2x12 Deville) but definately am enjoying the tone.It has a nice open sound even at low volume and hangs in there when turned up. Weight is about 40 lbs.
The reverb is not as nice as a Fender but is passable.

Don't know how it would be with a PSG but handles the power of the TT-8 without breaking up.
I'd be interested to hear from others who have this amp and their experience with a PSG through it.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mark Vinbury on 01 November 2006 at 08:34 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Fried

Post by Mike Fried »

Not to be negative, but light weight, low maintenance, and low cost are a pretty tough combination to find in a good-sounding tube amp. I would second the vote for the Nashville 112 as it's got all those attributes and it sounds great.
Tom Diemer

Post by Tom Diemer »

You might want to check out one of Peavey's Transtube amps as a compromise in your price and weight range.

I picked up a used Bandit 112 Transtube and it really sounds great. I've been using it for guitar and pedal steel. Bought it for guitar, but my steel sounds real nice through it as well. It has 'that' tube amp sound, plus adjustable power output - almost unbelievable how rich and fat it sounds for a small solid state amp. There are several models with Transtube. Might be worth a look.

I had one of the older Bandits in the 80's, it was ok, but there is no comparison to this one.

Lynn Oliver

Post by Lynn Oliver »

How about something like a T.C. Furlong powered cab with an FX (PODxt, etc.)? I know it misses the price target, but it should be flexible enough to use with both lap and pedal steel.

------------------
Lynn Oliver
Image Image

John Drury

Post by John Drury »

What Rick said about the Valve King.

However, if you run up on about $1100- the Fender Deluxe is hard to beat for lap steel.
My MSA S.S. sounds great through it.

------------------
John Drury
NTSGA #3

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by John Drury on 01 November 2006 at 07:32 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mark Vinbury

Post by Mark Vinbury »

Rick---Looks like you have a Crate V32 which appears to be the same amp as my V3112 (30 watt class A). Have you tried it with PSG? How does it compare with your other amps (the Peaveys in particular) for Lap and regular guitar?
Jeff Strouse

Post by Jeff Strouse »

I'm sure the local store will have the Peavy Valve King and Nash 112 (hopefully). So I'll definitely check those out. I would have no hesitation in getting a solid state, if I'm happy with the sound and can't find what I want and can afford in a tube. I'm gonna try and swing by today so I'll let you all know if those are in stock. Thanks for the comments so far!

P.S. I've read in a couple of other threads about plugging pre-amps and running the amps together and with other amps, etc...honestly, that's getting to complex for me... Image ...I need simplicity!<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jeff Strouse on 02 November 2006 at 05:33 AM.]</p></FONT>
Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

Roland Cube-60 or Roland Cube-30. Solid state.

I have the 60. I have two gigs this upcoming weekend where I will put it through it's paces - a bar gig on Friday - a dance gig on Saturday. I'll report back.

Although... I recorded my most recent steel tune 'Home' with the 60. I was impressed with the quietness of the amp while recording. I just placed a mic in front of it. No hiss, no 60 cycle hum.

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

CEO, CIO, CFO - UkeTone Records
Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website
Board of Directors Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association

John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Peavey Delta Blues with a 15" speaker.
Todd Weger

Post by Todd Weger »

Jeff -- I think it also depends on what type of lap steel tone you're looking for.

Personally, we do several tunes where I really want the old-time distortion sound of a small (5-watt) tube amp. Think 30's era Dick McIntire Hula Paha Ka Kou or Ai Ka Kou. That's my favorite lap tone. There's a creaminess to the tone that just sounds soooo gooood.

But, there are other times I want that cleaner, more 50's type of tone, and those little tube amps just won't get there from here. That's where an amp like the Cube 30 or 60 is handy to have. Nope, not near as vibey as a vintage amp, but gets the job done nicely.

If you prefer the cleaner tones, the Cubes or one of the Peaveys mentioned should work very well, IMO. I also played through one of those TransTubes with a Tele about 5 years ago, and I have to admit, I was very impressed with what it could do, considering the cost and light weight of the thing.

By the way, if you ever get a chance to come down to the Tampa/St. Pete area, give me a holler, and we'll get together to play some steel.

------------------
Todd James Weger --
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, A6, B11); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Regal resonator (C6); 1938 Epiphone Electar (A6); assorted ukuleles; upright bass

David Cook

Post by David Cook »

Hi, Try a Roland Cube 60 or 30. You'll be surprised at what solid state can sound like.
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

If you are looking for something inexpensive, small and light, with a variety of clean and dirty sounds, and even some effects, you should check out the Vox Valvetronix series. In previous discussions of this some people who have tried them side-by-side with the Roland Cubes much preferred the Voxes. I got the smallest size, the D5, which can operate on batteries, to take to Reece's lap steel workshop in NYC awhile back. It has headphone jack, and a line-out jack. These are amazing little amps, and come in larger sizes too.
Lynn Oliver

Post by Lynn Oliver »

Are you talking about the Vox DA5? That is not a Valvetronix; the smallest Valvetronix is the AD15VT.

------------------
Lynn Oliver
Image Image

seldomfed

Post by seldomfed »

Hi Jeff!
I just got a Roland Cube 60 too and it's a cool sounding amp. Very versitile. And loud. I'm testing it with the Mullen pedal steel as we speak, and I'm really surprised how good it sounds. Very cool actually. It's great with the lap steels I have, and of course the G&L Asat sounds great too. Killer amp for $345.07! I wouldn't hesitate to use this for a steel gig - but really I got it to replace a tube guitar amp that keeps giving me fits on stage. The 'black face' simulation is nice on this amp. Not exact - but really nice. Clean highs too. Solid built, and has switching channels and effects. How it looks is not material to me. How does it sound? will it do the job? is it really solid? Can I afford it? That's what I look for. I expect dependability - but time will tell.

I've used my MIcro-cube at an outdoor concert with my Stringmaster (no kidding - line out to PA), and flown it all over the place, and toss it in the car for jams, etc., so the Cube 60 I'm sure will cut it. It's a rare gig where I don't line-out to a PA anymore. (just Joliet Image

I have a Nashville 112 and an Evans Se200, and now the Roland - all are capable amps for steel I think, given your situation.

aloha,
chris

------------------
Chris Kennison
Colorado
www.book-em-danno.com

Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

I played thru a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 last weekend in a pinch when my 400 crapped out. It had some miles on it but sounded great.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RbChJ-EXjoI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RbChJ-EXjoI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Fender Twin Reverb.
Jay Y.
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Lynn O., right, my mistake, the DA5 is not part of the Valvetronix series. It lacks the real tube in the power amp. But it seems to use much of the same amp and cabinet modeling technology, and some of the same effects. Whatever, it's the best solid state little amp I have heard. I got the DA5 for the battery operation. The real Valvetronix series is even better. They have a very wide variety of clean and dirty tones, all amazingly good. These are the best modelers I have heard, partly because there is a real tube involved. It's the same technology as their Tonelab modeler and effects unit. In addition to lap steel, they would be good for someone who wants a single amp for steel and regular guitar. They are said to have some minor quality problems that one would expect given the very low cost and off-shore production. But at those prices you can keep a spare. I think these are the best of the hybrid modeling technology so far.