Newbie Question: Pedalmasters

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Tanner

Newbie Question: Pedalmasters

Post by David Tanner »

Hi - I've visited SGF many times over the years and finally became a member as this is such a great forum. I'm a lefty dobro player who's wanting to get into playing some psg. Finally found someone who makes lefty steels. Roy Thomas makes a steel called the Pedalmaster. Does anyone out there have any experience with these? Any other lefty steel suggestions? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! - Dave
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

David, EVERYBODY makes fine instruments these days, and Pedalmaster is no exception. I know one person who sold a Millennium because he preferred the Pedalmaster.

I have no personal experience with this brand, but I've never heard a single complaint about them.
Last edited by Mike Perlowin on 11 Aug 2007 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Steve Spitz

pedalmaster

Post by Steve Spitz »

The pedalmaster is an outstanding steel guitar . Roy Thomas is a master builder.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

a friend of mine plays a d-10 pedalmaster and i think it is a beautiful well made guitar, works mechanically perfectly and looks and sounds as good as you can pick it!!
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

David, I have been sponsored by Pedalmaster for many years and they are real nice guitars. Roy Thomas is a master builder and you can look in the dictionary under Honest, and there is a picture of Roy Thomas. They are mechanically perfect and have great tone and playability. You can't go wrong with Pedalmaster. Jody.
Sam Lewis

Post by Sam Lewis »

David, I have owned two of the PedalMaster guitars, a D-10 and a U-12. They are super guitars and Roy Thomas can't be beat. If you buy one of his guitars
you will get a great instrument. Get in touch with PeeWee Whitewing; I have some recordings of his playing a PedalMaster. He could make a guitar made out of foam rubber sound good.
David Tanner

Post by David Tanner »

Thanks for the great help. I figured they were probably nice steels as they do look very nice. I'd just never heard of them before. Roy has been real helpful. He makes a lot of lefty guitars and no upcharge. As a lefty, that's pretty rare to find. Thanks again for all the advice. I'll let you know what happens. - Dave
Pete Cormier

Post by Pete Cormier »

I JUST PURCHASED A D-8 FROM ROY LAST MONTH.IT IS
MY FIRST PEDAL STEEL AND I LOVE IT. WOULD NOT TAKE
DOUBLE THE MONEY.ROY IS A GENTLEMAN ,SO BUY IT.

PETE
SUPRO---MAN
49&51 SUPRO SINGLE NECKS
54 DOUBLE NECK SUPRO
2006 D-8 PEDALMASTER
1994 D-8 PEDALMASTER
Alan Harrison

Great Tone

Post by Alan Harrison »

One of the best Swing Players I know, Mr. Chuck Hayes from Muskogee Oklahoma plays a Keyless Pedalmaster, one of the best sounding steels I have ever heard. It is also one of the best looking lacquer guitars I have seen. Of course It's being played by one of Great Masters of Western Swing on Pedal Steel. "Chuck is in The Western Swing Hall Of Fame" Alan
Mullen (Black) Pre G-2 9x7, B.L. 705 PUP's, Evans SE 200 Telonics NEO 15-4, BJS Bar, Peterson Strobo Flip, Steelers Choice Seat, Folgers Coffee and Hilton Pedals.

"I Steel Without Remorse"
David Tanner

Post by David Tanner »

Thanks all! I really appreciate the help. I'm interested in getting one of Roy's SD10's. Lefty of course! His guitars look really nice and clean and the works underneath do too. Roy sounds like he's been perfecting his steels for a while now. Thanks again! - Dave
Paul Warnik

Pedalmaster

Post by Paul Warnik »

SGHOF Member Pee Wee Whitewing plays one-Roy Thomas is a genuinely nice guy
ROBERT MYERS

Post by ROBERT MYERS »

I love mine: Image
Bob Myers Pedalmaster Classic 8 & 7 Profex2 Peavey M7000 Power Amp 2 15in speakers Nashville 400 Digitech RP 100 67 Fender Duo-sonic 69 Fender Mustang
Brandon Ordoyne

Post by Brandon Ordoyne »

I have an SD-10 Pedalmaster and I love it. Quick action and stays in tune. Roy Thomas is a great builder and a very honest man. Good luck! :)
'74 Emmons D10 P/P 8x5,'15 Rittenberry D10 8x5, Peavey Nashville 112, 400 & 1000, Fender Twin Reverb Tone Master, Hilton, Goodrich L120, Boss DD-3 and RV-3
David Tanner

Post by David Tanner »

Bob that is one beautiful sight! I noticed from Roy's web site that some of his bodies are made of some gorgeous flame maple. Looks like that's what you got there in blue. Purty! Thanks for sharing. - Dave
Alan Coldiron

Post by Alan Coldiron »

David, I feel your pain. My main instrument is bass which I play a left handed bass strung right handed. Being left handed I searched for a left handed steel for many years. I came very close to buying a new Pedalmaster, I was just too cheep to buy a brand new unit. Everything I heard about them indicated they are a great steel. I did find a Sho Bud Pro I S-10 a few months ago and have been loving it. So from one lefty to another, enjoy, its a great instrument.
Robert Cook

Post by Robert Cook »

David,
I own a beautiful left-handed single neck-10 and 5 that Roy Thomas made for me a couple of years ago. You've heard all the praise for the man and all I can do is echo that and more. I went to his shop in Maurice,LA to pick the steel up and I got the tour, the demo; he went the extra mile to make sure I was happy with my purchase. Mr. Thomas has been in touch with me from time to time when I would write him and even called me when I screwed up putting strings on one time.

He builds a wonderful and well-crafted instrument. Mine has a maple body with a specially wound pickup, powder coated end pieces and peg head. All these little touches and more were Mr. Thomas' and he stayed in touch with me by phone and mail the whole time he was building it. He's the best and you won't go wrong with a Pedalmaster. Next year I'm going to have him build a lefty doubleneck. Go for it.
David Tanner

Post by David Tanner »

Thanks Alan and Robert. I really appreciate the encouragement. Alan, I played guitar and dobro on righty strung instruments for 25 years and switched my dobros over to lefty strung 6 years ago. Then about 3 years ago I bought a lefty strung lefty acoustic guitar and have been learning to play that way. So I now play some regular guitar both ways and still play bottleneck exclusively on righty strung guitars, but my lap style dobros are all lefty strung. Yeah, it's that crazy! So tell me, do you play your psg lefty or righty strung? Thanks, guys. - Dave
Robert Cook

Post by Robert Cook »

Like you, I tried doing the flipped over guitar method until I was about 12 or so and got a look at McCartney. I switched the strings around then and from the late 60's have been exclusively in left-handed instruments. Mandolins, dobros, pedal steel, whatever..it's made left-handed. Lots of folks said not to try steel left-handed, but frankly it was Mr. Thomas who said, "It shouldn't matter if you're left or right-handed as long as you want to learn the instrument." I've enjoyed the "oddity" of being left-handed and getting questions like "Can you really play it that way?" It also got a lot of girls back in the day...less so now.
Alan Coldiron

Post by Alan Coldiron »

David - Us leftys always seem to be an oddity. I have come to believe there are hard core rightys and leftys meaning they can't do things, only left or right. I also feel others that lean in one direction or another and are capable of switching. People who are right leaning go unnoticed but left leaning are constantly shown as examples that all left handed people can be taught right handed such as Green and Chalker. I had this example thrown up at me by a steel manufacturer that these guys were such great players because they were left handed but played right handed. My comment was too bad the big 'E' didn't learn left handed, just think how much better he could be. :)

I grew up around music and tried very hard to play right handed in my early years and could not get the coordination to pick with my right hand.

I play 6 string guitar completely left handed. I played drums years ago completely left handed. I played a little piano but was difficult to get my right hand to move properly for melody lines (I have never seen a left handed piano). I have a left handed bass strung right handed. I play pretty well but wish I had learned strung left handed. I can always tell the musician in the room. They are the ones pointing with their heads cocked sideways. I have been told my bass is the "Day" setup.

My steel is completely left handed including volume pedal on the left and the other pedals on the right. I have been playing since November so I haven't taken it out. I play at different steel shows and jams as a bass player and someday may take it out to show it off but playing it in front of people is a long way off.

I have see one left handed steel player. I thing his name was Monty and played for Neil McCoy. If I remember correctly he played a Pedalmaster.
Bob Strum

Post by Bob Strum »

I love mine!! You can hear the tone at www.bobstrum.com
David Tanner

Post by David Tanner »

Robert that's funny you should mention Paul McCartney as I've always blamed him for why I play lefty. See, I'm actually right-handed at everything else. But it just always felt more natural for me to hold a guitar lefty. Can't explain it but that I was a huge Beatles fan when I was a kid (and still). And Alan I have been told countless times that I should just learn to play righty. Not gonna happen! My guitar teachers have always been cool about it. In the 70's I took some dobro lessons from Cal Hand (incredible player!) and he just helped me figure it out lefty playing righty strung. These days I have restrung all my dobros and would obviously get a lefty strung psg. As you say, there's no difference from a lefty playing a lefty guitar and a righty playing a righty guitar. Strings are in the same place for each. One last interesting factoid, my hero Mike Auldridge (and original reason for playing dobro) is a natural lefty (playing righty). :wink:

Thanks guys! - Dave