Kayton Roberts

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rick Troyer

Kayton Roberts

Post by Rick Troyer »

Can anyone please tell me how to get in touch with Mr. Kayton Roberts ? Thanks, RT
Gary Harris

Kayton Roberts

Post by Gary Harris »

I believe Kayton lives in Ridge Top or Greenbrier, Tn. both of these communites are north of Nashville.
The musicians union could give his exact address. You may ask them if he is still active (paid up) and then you ask for an address so he can be contacted.
Olaf van Roggen

Post by Olaf van Roggen »

Tom Bradshaw once gave me his adress,it was:
Kayton Roberts
Route 1
Greenbriar,TN 37073

Hope this helps!
Bernie Gonyea

Kayton Roberts

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

:?
Hi gents: Am I correct in assuming that Kayton once backed the great canadian artist, Hank Snow; possibly I'm thinking of someone else.Thanks, Bernie :\
2007 Zum S-10; 1967 Sho-Bud [ D-10 ]; 85 S-10 Sierra; 1953 Multi-Kord [ 6 String- 4 pedals ] A Sho-Bro six String Resonator Guitar; Nashville 112 Amp; hilton Vol. Pedal
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

Bernie, You are 100 per cent correct.

I met Kayton in 1969 at a Hank Snow concert. It was an outdoor concert near Dresser,Wisconsin. Chubby Wise, Hank's fiddler had recommended Kayton for the job.
Bernie Gonyea

Kayton Roberts

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

:D
Roger: thanks so much for the info about our friend, Kayton. Did he play pedal steel or non-pedal? I remember when Buford Gentry worked with Hank; I loved his playing back-up; a fabulous steel player, and doing it all on a small single neck non-pedal guitar; and Chubby was certainly an asset for Hank's total sound; one of my all time favorite fiddle players. He was very much involved in giving us the tune, " Orange Blossom Special"
Speaking of that very tune; have any of you purchased Austin Stewart"s new "CD" titled "Steelin' The Show". His rendition of " O.B.S." is fantastic, on Pedal steel Guitar. If you love steel Guitar as much as I do, Austin's CD is a must for your collection.
Whom does Kayton work with now, Roger? Didn't mean to take the spot-lite off his thread. I apologize, Kayton..Regards, Bernie :)
2007 Zum S-10; 1967 Sho-Bud [ D-10 ]; 85 S-10 Sierra; 1953 Multi-Kord [ 6 String- 4 pedals ] A Sho-Bro six String Resonator Guitar; Nashville 112 Amp; hilton Vol. Pedal
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

Hi Bernie,

Kayton has only played his early 1950s D-8 Fender non-pedal steel guitar.
Kayton has been retired for sometime now. I think he must be working on his "Honey-Do" list now. :)

Roger
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Kayton has been playing the same non-pedal steel since 1953. A Fender Dual-8. According to Kayton it is the only steel guitar he has ever owned or played. Amazing! What an inspiration to us all. I've heard him play some smokin' stuff on that old Fender.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Roger... it looks like we posted at the same time! :)
Ray Harrison

Kayton

Post by Ray Harrison »

Kayton is one of the finest players and "all time greatest showmen" of the steel. To hear the kind of sound effects he can bring forth is amazing. Great guy to visit with and listen to.
Ray Harrison
Bass/sing/Love PSG
77 Stingray/Kiesel 5 string bass
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars
Bernie Gonyea

Kayton Roberts

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

8)

Thanks so much, guys, for all the interesting info about Kayton; I was almost certain that his playing was on a non-pedal; but wanted to know for certain; he surely did a grand job on Hank's recordings; I have many of Hank's old 33 1/3 albums in my collection. Is Kayton a member of the SGF? I wonder if he has any steel guitar CD's for sale and where would I buy them? Please let me know; thanks, boys, for your help..Bernie :D
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

My wife Linda is now taking non-pedal lessons from Kayton. She's learning to play some Hawaiian tunes. Here's a picture with her playing Kayton's '51 Fender Custom.
Kayton has alot of patience to work with a beginner (something I really lack). Anyway, she's getting alot from her lessons with Kayton and I can already hear quite a bit of improvement in her playing.

Nick
Last edited by Nick Reed on 29 Jul 2007 10:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Dale Lee

Post by Dale Lee »

Nick,

Maybe you wouldn't be inclined to do this, but if you were so inclined perhaps you could ask him for permission to video the lessons. Probably he could sell them.

IMO they would be highly valuable both as instructional material, which seems to be somewhat limited for non-pedal, as well as documentation of an historic steel guitar figure.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Not much of a snowball's chance in h--k that it'll happen, Dale, but it'd be KR's opportunity to join the millionaire's club, stated in another thread.

Got my $ ready just in case!
Bernie Gonyea

Our Buddy, Kayton

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

Nick.... I'm always tickled to see a member of the opposite sex take up the steel guitar, whether it's a non pedal or pedal; I'm sure if Kayton is teaching her, she'll be picking the non-pedal in no time at all. When she feels quite confident in her self, Nick, please cut a clip for we forumites to listen to. O.K?, Bernie :whoa: :whoa:
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

I really love to hear (and see) Kayton play! In my opinion he is truly a master of the non-pedal steel and also seems to be a fine fella.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Nick, That is excellent! You and Linda are very lucky that Kayton lives so close by.

Kayton is one of my heroes. I love his sound; he plays with so much energy! He really tears up that old Fender. Kayton has been playing the same D-8 since 1953... that's 54 years. He has never owned or played any other steel guitar. Gearheads who are constantly upgrading and swapping equipment could learn a lot from Kayton Roberts ;-)
Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 14 Aug 2007 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Kayton Roberts is tuly a Master pLayer!

I too have been a fan of his for years!

Terry Wood
Bernie Gonyea

Kayton Roberts's Female Student

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

Nick: Is that Kayton's Double Neck which your wife is playing? Looking at the photo, I was thinking it appeared to be a triple neck. Just curious, that's all..Bernie :whoa:
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

It's Kayton's D8 Fender, not a Custom (triple) as far as I know. That's the only steel guitar he's ever played or owned. That blows my mind! I am in awe of this man.

I wonder if Kayton's steel has been modified over the years?

I'm curious to know about the pickups. I wonder if they have been rewound. Kayton is a master of "boo-wah" tone control, and I'll bet he has worn out a dozen tone pots over the years! ;-)