Metal bodied Dobro: help needed

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Richard Argus

Metal bodied Dobro: help needed

Post by Richard Argus »

Could someone please recommend where I can find an exploded view or parts list for a 1970's metal bodied Dobro?
The serial number is M 498 6.

Thanks,
Richard
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

There's really not much in there. What specifically do you need to know and which cone type?
Richard Argus

Post by Richard Argus »

Hi Mike,
this instrument currently has a biscuit cone.
I would like to know if it can be adjusted for maximum amplification and / or sustain.

Are there better after market cones that could be fitted?

Is it possible to fit a spider stye cone, and would that be a change for the better?

Thanks,
Richard
David McAnelly

Post by David McAnelly »

The cones in 70's Dobros definitely leave something to be desired. Replacing it with an upgrade should help considerably. My old tricone had the cones replaced in the 70's before I owned it. I recently replaced them with new National cones and it made quite an improvement. I would see if they have a drop in replacement for yours.
David Tanner

Post by David Tanner »

I'm not positive on this but I don't think you can replace the biscuit cone with a spider style, but you can check with Paul Beard at beardguitars.com and drop him an email. His Resophonic Outfitters shop also carries many options for replacement cones. A modern cone will make a world of difference. Good luck! - Dave
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

Some of the metal Dobros in the '70s and '80s had 9" cones and some 10s. Either way a replacement from National would be the ticket for max sustain, volume or tone. The old metal Dobros from the '30s could use either biscuit or spider set-up but that's not the case with the newer ones. Otherwise unless something's wrong there's not much you need to do inside. If the soundposts under the neck stick are tight then they don't need to be messed with.
Richard Argus

Post by Richard Argus »

Many tThanks for the responses and advice; I have ordered a replacement cone!
Richard