Battery life test Boss Micro BR

Studio and home recording topics

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tony Prior

Battery life test Boss Micro BR

Post by Tony Prior »

Well , in preparation for St Louis, and thinking I might take this recorder with me ( MP3 and Wave ) rather than the Edirol R-1 , I ran a battery life test today..

I placed it in the MP3 128 record mode, hit the red button and let it sit there doing it's thing.

The unit uses two AA Energizers and 5 hours right on the button was when the battery meter went to Zero, the unit was still running/recording but certainly if something GOOD was going on this would have be in the danger zone.

The file size was 265 MB which is big , but still has lots of room left even on a 512 card.

I also have an Edirol R-1 and it also gets right at 5 hours with two AA's.

tp
Bob Martin

Post by Bob Martin »

Hey Tony, that's killer for portable battery time. I checked out my BR-600 in the medium recording setting and only got a little over 2 and 1/2 hours. There's a big plus for the Micro BR.

I had no idea that they were that efficient plus recording directly to MP3 great little machine.

I think if I do much field recording I'll buy some more rechargeable nimh quick charge batteries. I already have 2 chargers that will top off the rechargeable batteries in 10 mins. and with 2 of them it will do 8 batteries. I think it takes 30 mins to do a completely dead battery.

So if I buy a few more batteries I could have 3 sets of batteries and have over 6 hours of live recording. You don't need to worry about that aspect with your BR.

Bob
***Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow***
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Bob, in all fairness though, the Micro BR really doesn't have what the BR600 does in comparison, sure a few other features like MP3 stereo recording, but it does not have TWO on board mics, a drum machine with pads, 8 channels, etc..

2 1/2 hrs is pretty good for all that the BR600 offers.

Last time at St Louis I used the Edirol R-1 which also gets around 5 hours, I changed the batteries at around 4 hours.I didn't want to get caught short .

Lowes has a 16 pack of Energizer AA's for about $10...

tp
Bob Martin

Post by Bob Martin »

Hee hee, you are one of the nicest guys I know you are always trying to say nice things about my recorder and I try to say good stuff about yours you know what, I think thats great. I wish there were more folks like you in this world. I'd love to meet you in person someday I bet we would have a great time. Look me up if you ever get close to Madison.

Believe it or not I bought my 600 just to record live bands and live music of any kind and as long as I've had it I've only done less than a hand full of recordings.

They have sounded very good but batteries are or were an issue. Some places have an ac outlet close enough to use but most don't so I now have enough NiMH batteries to do 6 or 7 hours of live recording.

Now I just have to get off my duff and go record some stuff. I am fortunate enough to live in an area where great country music is played 7 nights and days a week especially this time of year and I still find myself dragging my feet.

Its just been so doggone hot that I haven't been out much this summer but as soon as it cools off I'm out to record some good stuff.

Bob
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Bob, I'm only nice because I may want to borrow something someday :)

Ok, Madison Tenn, it's a plan..

St Louis ?

tp
Bob Martin

Post by Bob Martin »

LOL come on by anytime just call ahead so I can hide all of my money (cough sputter fart) and effects so you can't ask to borrow them :-)

St. Louis is a no go this year I have always wanted to go but it looks like another year will go by before I can go. I would love to take my recorder over and record the stuff that they allow you to record.

Will you rake your BR to St. Louis if so I'd like to hear some of the recordings.

Bob
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

yes Bob, BR to St Louis.

I recorded our gig last night with the on board MONO MIC 64 MP3 mode just to test drive it LIVE.

the recording is fine, the music ? NOT :(