Just not good enough

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

richard burton

Just not good enough

Post by richard burton »

After watching several videos of contemporary steel players, it has dawned on me that my playing is not up to an acceptable standard, and never will be.

I have deluded myself that my playing is good enough for public broadcast (YouTube), but, in the cold light of day, it's just not up to snuff.

My YouTube days are over :(
erik

Post by erik »

Are you being facetious? I've watched your clips. I remember enjoying them. BTW, YouTube is YOUtube not ProTube.
-johnson
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

No, I'm not being facetious.

My speed is too slow, and my intonation is not precise enough.

I have been humbled by the far better amateur players who are currently posting videos on YouTube
Jamie Lennon

Post by Jamie Lennon »

Richard your videos are great, especially when you post the tab for them also !!!

Dont stop posting !!! ;)
Mullen Guitars, Little Walter Amps, Benado Effects, D'Addario Strings

www.georgettejones.net
Jerry L Miller

Post by Jerry L Miller »

:eek: :x now pick yourself up and get behind that guitar and put up some more u tubes. iwatch all of your posts and record the audio. so your not a Emmons or a Green, i love your playing its different and very TASTY! and i think most of the steelers on the forum would agree !!!!!!!!!! i just bought 10 90 minute cassetts so i could record you and others on the forum, so i need some thing to record, ok :D
jerry :D
Jerry L Miller

Post by Jerry L Miller »

:D james i'm really not mad i just know you are selling your self short. please keep posting
jerry :D
Dennis Lee

Richard!

Post by Dennis Lee »

Richard,
I'm going to have to come across the pond and spank you! You're a good player and a good human being, sharing your knowledge and skills with others. Don't get into this funk and put yourself down. I only wish I knew what you already know. Please, be happy with your blessings and love that psg that you get beautiful sounds from, ok!
Larry Strawn

Post by Larry Strawn »

Richard,
I enjoy your post on utube, and look forward to many more.

Larry
Carter SD/10, 4&5 Hilton Pedal, Peavey Sessions 400, Peavey Renown 400, Home Grown Eff/Rack
"ROCKIN COUNTRY"
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

This is kinda like a woman saying her hair is a mess when really shes fishing for a complimeant. :D
Don't be the only one to think your not good enough.
I played a Jam session last nite at our local Eagles Lodge. It was for Red Ryder who just passed away. It was our way to send him off with Music.I Took my Steel because there were mostly country artist. I sounded terrible I'm sure, but I'll never get any better just playing at home all the time. So stick with you tube or what ever you can do to play and quit feeling sorry for yourself,,,I have the corner on that...
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Charley Wilder

Post by Charley Wilder »

Richard, I'm 66 years old. I started on guitar in 1954. Since then it's been Dobro, steel, banjo, mandolin, etc. And believe me at my age I have no illusions about ever being very good! BUT I've played in bands from Country to Rockabilly to, etc. I wouldn't trade the fun and fulfillment, the people I've met, the music I've seen and heard in person, the jams, and yes, the ladies that I've met. All of this because of music. I just tried to do the best I could and still do. Sometimes it hasn't been good enough. Don't worry about being good. That's just too big a burden to trouble yourself with. You'll never be as good as you want to be. Most of us on the Forum will never be as good as we want to be! Don't get frustrated, JUST HAVE FUN. :D
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

(Duplicate Post)
Last edited by Alan Brookes on 11 Aug 2007 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Richard, your fine.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Do I have to post something worse just to give you self-confidence ?
:lol:

I think where you're going wrong is to think of it as a competition. You don't have to be a virtuoso on any instrument to enjoy playing it.

And remember, very few of the people watching have even heard of the pedal steel, let alone be able to judge your talent level....

...now get back to shagging Elizabeth Taylor. How could you two have spent so much on Cleopatra ?
Mike Cass

Post by Mike Cass »

I know how you feel Richard; the chair I now loiter in has had some pretty incredible players in it over the years(Emmons,Day,Palousek,Cox)to name just a few. Comparing myself to them gives me the same reaction as youre having. While I can think of 100 guys who could do my job better than me,it is what it is. Dont let flash and speed intimidate you. The melody wins out everytime. Thats called maturity.
Ive seen younger pickers who dazzle and intimidate with their pryotechnics, but give them an old ballad or gospel song and they're lost'er than Amelia Earhardt. Its been my experience that lows are always followed by highs; esp true I think with our chosen instrument. Ive never heard a steel guitarist that I didnt learn something from. Maybe capitalize on your strengths intead of what you percieve as your weaknesses and do what you love.
Last edited by Mike Cass on 10 Aug 2007 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

There's a whole lotta wisdom in Mike's post. Let's all go back up and read it again.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Coming from someone like Mike, that's a mouthful. I totally agree, and yet I go through these "inadequacy" periods like most musicians. But I don't think it's a good idea to give up. I learn by getting kicked in the pants, and believe me, there are times when I need an asbestos lining in the seat. ;)
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

Richard that takes guts to post youtube, when you know we will judge you at the forum.

I honestly don't think I would post there myself, I always feel I need to "clean" up, or is it a mental thing?

I do respect your post's of tab, alot of guys may not know how much work goes into that.

Trust me there is always someone better but don't beat your self up over that just take a break, clear your head and revisit this, give yourself some time off for now.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Richard, I have seen your videos and I think you play very well! I do a lot of teaching, and when students complain that they don't sound like so-and-so, I say... so what? So-and-so doesn't sound like you! We are all indiviuduals. You have a lot to offer. Music is a huge umbrella, and there is room for everyone. Play, enjoy, and your special sound will develop in time.
Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 10 Aug 2007 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Richard,Mike Cass speaks the truth,Now quit beating yourself up,Tomorrow's a whole new day my Brother!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Richard,you're kidding,right?I've seen all of your videos on YouTube and I think they're excellent.Your playing is very smooth and I can only hope to reach your level of playing.Man,give me a break!There ain't much happening in Chunky,MS and this is one of the few things I look forward to here in music hell.
Andy
james sluder

don't stop now !

Post by james sluder »

Richard i have seen & heard your paying on you tube.and i think you do great..the one thing i like about you tube is that no one plays the same song the same way..and that has helped me more than any books that i have read about psg playing..i am 66 starting with an old fender 400 8 strings & 4 on the floor lol..i have played lead guitar & bass for around 35 years..but i love steel so much i wanted to give it a try..and its players that put there music on for me to see & hear that has inspired me to keep trying..all the remarks on here to you have been good..so just keep on puting them up there.. :)
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Hi Richard, Don't slight youself. You play plenty good enough. As has been said, don't let speed and flash intimidate you. In a couple of the older studios in Nashville some years back there were a couple of signs. One was KISS for" Keep it simple Stupid " and the other sign ," What happened to the Melody?" Play your own style and hang in there. This philosophy has gotten me thru 62 years of steel guitar. Best regards,Jody.
Papa Joe Pollick

Post by Papa Joe Pollick »

:) If you're fishin Richard,you got me hooked.You do what you do very well.I have listened to every thing you've posted and rate it very high.Damn sure better than I play. :) PJ
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Richard, listen to what Mike Cass just said. He nailed it. My thoughts exactly.
Al Terhune

Post by Al Terhune »

Everybody has something to offer in their own unique way...you'll de-funk...this is not a competition, it's art...and in art, everybody is "right"...
Al

My equipment:

One heck of a Wife
The ghost of a red Doberman
Several pairs of reading glasses strewn about