steel on Hank Williams recordings

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Al Johnson

Hank Williams steel men

Post by Al Johnson »

you guys are doing great so far except Lost Highway was written by the great writer Leon Payne. Al
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Al,
You might be right. I have a song book by Accuff Rose that is supposed to have all the songs in it that Hank Williams ever wrote, all 128. Lost Highway is not included in the book.
Al Johnson

Post by Al Johnson »

Hank recorded at least 2 songs Lost Highway and They'll Never take Her Love From Me by Leon Payne who was also published by Acuff/Rose. Leon was very popular at the time also the writer of I Love You Because recorded by Ernest Tubb and others. Al
Matthew Prouty

Post by Matthew Prouty »

Al is 100% correct and on Hank Thompson's Live at the Golden Nugget he says something about Lost Highway like "recorded by Hank Williams and written by the great Leon Payne" not sure exactly, but something like that.

I posted it on my page:

http://www.proutyworld.150m.com/Lost%20Highway.mp3

After listening to it I am in doubt about it being Jerry Byrd, but it certainly could be, however, I am almost certain this is not Don.

Who else was recording around that time? It is interesting to note the distortion, which sounds like a single ended low wattage amp.

M.
Matthew Prouty

Post by Matthew Prouty »

I just found this:

3/1/49 MGM RECORDS SESSION----------------------

Castle Studio, Nashville

Hank Williams-Vocal, Guitar Audrey Williams-Vocal Dale Potter-Fiddle Don Davis-Steel guitar Zeb Turner-Electric Guitar Jack Shook-Rhythm Guitar Clyde Baum-Mandolin Probably ernie Newton-Bass

3/1/49 LOST HIGHWAY (Leon Payne) 2:6
Eddie Cunningham

Lost Highway Found !!

Post by Eddie Cunningham »

I think Matthew hit the nail right on the head !! Steel sounds like what I remember of Don Davis playing steel on the Opry. Sounds like A-6th tuning and I think Don D. used that. Has mandolin on record and dates fall in place . I think that is it !!! Good job , Matthew !!! Eddie "C" ( old geezer Hank Sr. fan )
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

My understanding is that Byrd tends to be on the earlier recordings. The story I've read is that in the early days Hank's record label would not let him record with Helms. They considered Helms insufficiently skilled at that point. So in the early days Don was the touring steel player and Jerry was the recording man.
Terry Huval

Post by Terry Huval »

Don Helms told me that when Hank Williams left Montgomery to join the Louisiana Hayride, that Hank asked him to go with him. Don replied that he still had good playing opportunities in his native Alabama, so he would prefer staying there. Hank promised Don that he would be contacting him again if he ever "made" the Grand Old Opry.

After Hank's success on Lovesick Blues in mid-1949, Hank was invited as a guest on the Grand Ole Opry and his 6 encores on Lovesick Blues made him an enormous hit. He then called Don Helms and assembled other musicians for his new Drifting Cowboy band.

The first recording they had with Hank was in October, 1949 when they recorded the "Health and Happiness" shows - a radio transcription paid for by Hadacol-inventer Senator Dudley "Cousin Dud" Leblanc from Abbeville, Louisiana. Hank's subsequent Opry performances included Don Helms and the rest of Hank's new Drifting Cowboy band.

Before Hank formed this new group, there remained one previously scheduled Hank recording session and the back up band of Jerry Byrd and others had already been pre-arranged months before to record that session. Don attended that session and viewed Jerry playing "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" and "My Bucket's Got a Hole In It" along with other songs.

After that session, Hank was touring on the road and did a number of shows with Ernest Tubb. Ernest liked Don's style and invited him to join him on a recording session late that year. "Letters Have No Arms" was one of the songs from that session and was the first record with Don's steel guitar playing.

The next Hank recording session was in January, 1950, where Don and the new Drifting Cowboys played on songs like "Why Don't YOu Love Me" and "Long Gone Lonesome Blues". Don Helms played on every recording session Hank had from that time until Hank's death in 1953.
Ron Whitfield

Don Davis, Lost Highway, and other mysteries

Post by Ron Whitfield »

To pick up on the Davis/Lost Hwy. conundrum...

If indeed the steel player on Lost Highway is Don, he deserves a bit more noteriety than next to nothing in a 'google' search.
Whomever did the steel work, it's certainly a legendary accomplishment, if for only the one moment.

Anybody got the good's on Don's career?
I've found he did over 3000 sessions, and is a '97 inductee of the Alabama Music Hall of Fame, so he's made his mark in some circle's.
Where can we find a compillation of his work?

Not seen any indication that he's passed on, but at 80-ish, most likely well retired by now.
Anyone know where he is these day's, and how/what he's doing?

And, if it wasn't Don on Lost Highway, who was the steeler?
This was just one of many questions I never got around to asking JB when I had my chance/s.
Greg Simmons

Post by Greg Simmons »

Don is definitely not retired, in fact he's scheduled to play at the ISGC Saturday, right before the Big "E" :D

Here's a link to an interview with Don (scroll down the page and you'll see it):

http://guitarstories.com/pages/gearbox.php
<i>�Head full of this kaleidoscope of brain-freight, Heart full of something simple and slow�</i>
-Mark Heard
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Hey Greg, are you confusing the Don's, Davis with Helms?

I see no interview with Don Davis.
Chris Cummings

hank's steel players

Post by Chris Cummings »

Yes Don Davies on Lost Highway.
Worth mentioning first session for MGM Hank's steel player was Dale Lohman tracks included the wonderful classic hit "Move it on over"
Second session on steel was Herman Herron tracks included "Satisfied with you"
Dale I understand wore Brown shoes and a pink bow tie whilst Herman was relaxed at his session in just a white shirt and dark trousers [someone tell me how I put a smiley face in here ? ]
Then it looks like Jerry and Don Davies [ on a few ]then Don Helms took over.
60 years since his first session on MGM back in April 1947. Hank commenced recording for Stirling records back in 1946. Great stuff and Hanks's classics are all timeless.Enjoyed the post thanks !
Chris
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Here's a shot of Don Davis in his prime.

www.alamhof.org/davisdon.jpg
Ray Montee

For session players in Nashville.............

Post by Ray Montee »

Check the JERRY BYRD Fan Club for session players in Nashville during the 1950-60's.

http://www.Jerrybyrd-fanclub.com/
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Ray, I see you have a cut from one of Ned's CD on your JB site.
I spoke to Ned recently and asked if he had anything 'in the can' from the sessions that included Jerry, and he said there was plenty, and that some of it may be on his up-coming CD.
Ray Montee

Happy Days!

Post by Ray Montee »

Thanks Ron! What great news! Now I'll be upset until I can get a copy of it.
Ron Whitfield

Hoooooold on thar!

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Ray, the main word there is 'may'. It'll be great just to get another CD from him at all, and to have more JB on it, is way to much to expect. But, I had to ask, and it is a possibility.

And since both of his CD's were so short on playing time, I'm somewhat not suprised.

Jerry sed he thot Ned was a much better musician than his world re-known brother, Led.
Ray Montee

I REMEMBER..............

Post by Ray Montee »

Ron: I do remember Jerry telling me that same thing.

When Jerry started sharing his audio tapes, I felt I was able to gain a much broader sense of the man. I sure do miss him. Just knowing he's no longer there, really does pain me, still.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

...as it should.
Jerry will go down as one of the most underrated steel players ever. Even tho he's know as 'such and such', the true depth of the man, his abilities, and his music, will go largely unrecognized, by even most steelers.

You'd never know by looking at or talking to them, how superb Jerry, or Ned and Led are as musicians.
Three of the best, with no aires. Just real folk.

Ned always has a salty reply to the question of why he doesn't do shows, "No need, my brother does all my songs"!
Frederic Mabrut

Post by Frederic Mabrut »

The steel guitarist who played on Lost Highway is neither Mr Helms or Byrd. It's Don Davis, who played with Hank Williams band during the recording sessions between March 1st and 20th 1949.
During these sessions 9 songs have been recorded:
Dear Brother
Jesus remembered me
Lost Highway
May you never be alone
Mind your own business
you're gonna change (or i'm gonna leave)
Wedding Bells
I've just told mama goodbye

There is a link to a Don Davis' Bio:
http://www.alamhof.org/davisdon.htm

Hope this help!
Fred[/quote][/code]
Ray Montee

Was "Lost Highway".........among Luke the Drifter'

Post by Ray Montee »

Just got to thinking.......

Hank did some things as Luke the Drifter.
Was 'Lost Highway'in that group of tunes?
Scott Rogers

Post by Scott Rogers »

Just to boast on the topic for a second,,, I got to visit the Hank Sr Museum this weekend! http://www.thehankwilliamsmuseum.com/default2.htm
A lot of neat stuff there,, including the 1952 cadillac that he took on his final farewell. See the monthly schedule as well for on the first saturday of the month, they have "jamborees" where everyone is invited to bring their instrument and jam! I live 2 hrs south of Montgomery and I've never heard of these jamborees... its funny how people around here kinda pride themselves in being from the area that Hank came from, but then again, you never really hear much about it. Had a replica of the Gibson dual console Helms played on as well. Also, there was really interesting bio film by PBS playing on a tv. I can't remember the name of the series, but I'd like to find a copy of it. Lots of historical notes and interviews with musicians, family & such.
Matthew Prouty

Post by Matthew Prouty »

Ray on the Luke the Drifter material, I believe that this was all later in Hank's career and Don Helms played on those. I have the complete discography at home and will have to listen to them to be sure.
Cris Malone

Post by Cris Malone »

Scott,
The PBS series is on DVD from Amazon and others and it is called "Honky Tonk Blues". It's the best documentary on Hank and has all of the film footage taken of him (Which, unfortunately is very little). Helms did play steel on "Lost Highway" in the '49 "Health and Happiness" radio broadcasts and it is available on CD. Davis was on the studio recording. Rose wanted Don Helms to play high because the tone carried better on AM radio and jukeboxes of the day, which was the main exposure for an artist at that time.
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Thanks Rick for the retuning youtube clip. That's the sound for sure. What a nice tuning. I'm struggling after one day since I never had the 3rd on top of any tuning I ever played in my 20 years. I think I can get the hang of it by Sept 20 if start woodshedding. :)

DZ