...TWO ICONS COLLIDE

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Theresa Galbraith

...TWO ICONS COLLIDE

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Kickin' Out The Footlights by Jones & Haggard!
I love it! Great steel work and Great Musicianship by all & I recommend this cd for all country fans! :)

Theresa
b0b

Post by b0b »

Who's the steel player? <small>I wonder...</small>
Theresa Galbraith

bOb, I wonder...
Paul Franklin
Bob Ritter

Post by Bob Ritter »

Who is this Franklin fellow anyway ? Have you ever seen him Theresa?...lol :lol:
Let's go catch a steelhead
Dustin Elmer

Post by Dustin Elmer »

I just picked up my copy today and I love it. They picked a good selection too. I think Norm Hamlet plays on the Haggard cuts, am I right? I know Paul Franklin plays on the Jones cuts.
Dusty Elmer
erik

Post by erik »

...available at WalMart. :mrgreen:
-johnson
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

I agree. Got it for Christmas. Excellent selection of tunes, and each one well done. Also received Jerry Lee Lewis's "Last Man Standing"--great fun just listening to this one.

Franklin and Hamlet indeed are the gents in attendance.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Hey Theresa A friend of mine bought a Live Merle CD at Walmart last week,It has three concerts on it,There is one from the Astro-Dome in 1978? that's really great,have you seen it?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
norm hamlet

Merle and George CD

Post by norm hamlet »

The Strangers and I only play on don`t get around much anymore, it was recorded in Hag,s studio in Calif.
The rest of the CD was done in Nashville with Paul and it is in my opinion a great CD.
Norm
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

The two icons - would that be Merle and George or Norm and Paul. I was thinking of the latter.
Les Green

Post by Les Green »

Icons? Norm and Paul, no question. The other two guys, Merle and George, merely back-up! :lol:
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

NORM!! Isn't it great be somewhere everyone knows your name?
Bo Borland
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net
Billy Carr
Restricted

PF & NH

Post by Billy Carr »

I'm going to Wal-Mart this afternoon!
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

I would not have taken up the pedal steel guitar if it wasn't for hearing Norm's sublime playing. Always plays just what is required and not a note more.
Gary C. Dygert

Post by Gary C. Dygert »

Norm, did you & Tom Brumley ever get together & jam?
norm hamlet

Post by norm hamlet »

Bo, yes it is nice for people to remember who we are. And I am blessed to be called a steel player along with everyone on this forum.
Ken, thanks for the good words I have allways tried to play what I thought fit with the vocals.
Gary, Tom and I have known each other for a long time but we have never sat down and jammed together. However when we were working at the same time in Branson I asked Tom if he would mind if I came over to his house and learn some of his licks and he said sure. So that is a time I treasure very much.
Tom is at the top of my list for great and innovative players.
Norm
Gary C. Dygert

Post by Gary C. Dygert »

Norm, one of my all-time favorite recordings is the Same Train, Different Time Jimmie Rodgers tribute. The mix of Dobro and pedal steel was terrific, and it inspired me to start playing steel.
No-name lap steel and Beard Gold Tone reso in E6 and E7
Mike Wolfenbarger

Post by Mike Wolfenbarger »

That would truly be an amazing day, to be able to go to Tom Brumley's house and learn some licks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike
Pro-III (a lot)
Vegas 400
Evans
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

norm hamlet wrote:Bo, yes it is nice for people to remember who we are.
How could we forget ? On all those live albums Merle says, "and here we have Norm Hamlet on steel", so it's almost as though those words have now become part of the song, and every time we hear the song and the steel solo comes in, no matter who is on steel we expect to hear old Merle say..... :wink:
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

I'm a little behind in this... but I picked up a copy at the Haggard & Jones concert at the Ohio State Fair the other night, and boy am I pleased that I did.

"Sick, Sober and Sorry" kills me. It's a funny story backed by some damned fine music. Paul's on the back neck and tears it up on a couple of breaks.

It was great to get to see them to a couple of the cuts live on stage together.

Norm sounds as good as ever with the GFI. He's worked a little commedy into the routine on Muskogee. When Hag sings, "...we still let our hair grow long and shaggy" they both remove their hats. Most people that have seen the pics on the forum know that Hag now has more hair than Norm. That got a big laugh from the crowd.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
Theresa Galbraith

Ron,
I've always thought you were behind times! LOL
I'm glad you went to the concert. Norm & Tom are awesome! :)

See ya in St.Louis..... and I'm glad ya got the CD!
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

T,

I probably missed your command, err I mean post, encouraging me to buy this one. :)

However, I did recognized your little brother's stellar works right out of the box. Great stuff in deed! Although, after 38 years, there is something about Merle Haggard songs without Norm Hamlet on steel that I find, shall I say, odd.

"I Don't Get Around Much" reminded me of some things I'd forgotten about ole George Jones. That thing about singing in a Donald Duck voice quacks me up.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II