RIP Lee Hazlewood

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

nick allen

RIP Lee Hazlewood

Post by nick allen »

Sad loss of a very interesting guy. Producing Duane Eddy and writing "These Boots..." alone would give him a major place in pop history.
Interesting links here, especially the radio interview.
http://weekendamerica.publicradio.org/p ... mes_o.html
Nick
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

I heard that radio interview last month on the local Vegas station. I was almost tempted to go to his "Final Party".

What an influence on pop music for the past 50 years. He also was the first guy to sign Gram Parsons to a deal. They put out The International Submarine Band album 'Safe at home' on Lee's LHI label. That album is one of the very first country-rock albums.

He didn't just produce Duane Eddy, Lee came up with the whole idea of the twang guitar instrumental album. He tried to get another session players, Al Casey, to do it but Casey just kept playing everything like Chet Atkins. So Lee supposedly showed the rhythm player how he wanted the parts done, and that guy was Duane Eddy.
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Another great talent gone. Jody.
Billy Murdoch

Post by Billy Murdoch »

I first became aware of Lee when I read the credits on the old Duane Eddy 78 rmp records.
I later saw him in a movie with Patrick Magee about southern moonshiners(early 70's)

Although many people in the U.K. will not recognise him.I for one will certainly say he will be greatly missed.
Billy
Last edited by Billy Murdoch on 6 Aug 2007 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dayna Wills

Post by Dayna Wills »

I was trying to think of the song that Lee and N
Nancy Sinatra did that had the name Faydra in it. I was at a Brams (sp) ice cream parlor in Tulsa and the girl behind the counter was named Faydra. I asked if she was named after the song and she said yes. I figured by her age that her mom was an old hippie, HA!
nick allen

Post by nick allen »

Dayna, that was "Some Velvet Morning".
Some velvet morning when I'm straight
I'm gonna open up your gate
And maybe tell you about Phaedra...
Nick
Billy Wilson

Post by Billy Wilson »

Didn't he write "Jackson". The one made famous by Johnny and June? What is the first line of that song?
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

"We got married in a fever!"

Not written by Lee, but he did a version with Nancy Sinatra.

I believe the song was actually written by Jerry Leiber and someone else (not his famous partner, Stoller).
Mark
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Summer Wine was my fave. I was just remembering that song, and what I was doing in 63-4.

I don't know if he wrote it or not, but it was a NS duet.

EJL
Kevin Macneil Brown

Post by Kevin Macneil Brown »

Those Nancy and Lee duets were such amazing records, quite original--and very cinematic-- in their production. I always liked the way Lee's records kept, amidst all the baroque strings and horns and slightly surreal sonics, a twangy desert-cowboy vibe.
Kevin Macneil Brown

Post by Kevin Macneil Brown »

Those Nancy and Lee duets were such amazing records, quite original--and very cinematic-- in their production. I always liked the way Lee's records kept, amidst all the baroque strings and horns and slightly surreal sonics, a twangy desert-cowboy vibe.
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

I think "Jackson" was written by Billy Edd Wheeler...

Kind Regards, Walter
Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

More than you ever wanted to know about the song - and Walter - we're both right:
Jackson (song)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

"Jackson" is a song written by Jerry Leiber and Billy Edd Wheeler about a married couple who find that the "fire" has gone out of their relationship. The song relates the desire of the husband and wife to travel to Jackson, Mississippi, where they each look forward to a new life free of the unhappy relationship.

Gaby Rodgers is frequently cited as co-author of "Jackson", but this is not true; Leiber wrote the song with Wheeler, using his then-wife's name as a pseudonym.

Johnny Cash and June Carter won a Grammy Award in 1968 for their recording of the song. Johnny Cash also sang it with Miss Piggy when he appeared on The Muppet Show. The song was performed by Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon (playing Johnny Cash and June Carter) in the 2005 film Walk the Line.

Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood also recorded a version of the song that charted at #14 in 1967.

Ann Wilson, lead singer of Heart, recorded a cover version of this song for her 2007 solo release Hope & Glory with singer/songwriter k.d. lang.

Jenny Morris and INXS also recorded a version in 1992.

Country music parodist Cledus T. Judd recorded a parody called "Jackson (Alan That Is)" on his 1996 album I Stoled This Record. The parody deals with a man who is frustrated over his wife's obsession with Alan Jackson; the parody also includes snippets from Alan's 1994 song "Chattahoochee".
Mark
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Thanks for the info, Mark! :)

Kind Regards, Walter
Chris L. Christensen

Post by Chris L. Christensen »

The Kingston Trio had what is most likely the first recorded version of "Jackson", and a very good version at that, and it was included on their "Sunnyside" album released I believe in the Spring of 1963.
Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

Good knowledge, Chris. You should submit that info to Wikipedia.
Mark
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

Speaking of Billy Ed Wheeler he was just inducted as part of the first group to the West Virginia Music Hall of Fame.
Other inductees include Little Jimmy Dickens, Hazel Dickens,Molly O Day Bill Withers and Blind Alfred Reed.
Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

More "good knowledge!" :)
Mark