Old ZB Custom Back to Life!!!!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

B. Greg Jones

Old ZB Custom Back to Life!!!!

Post by B. Greg Jones »

Just finished another one up that has kind of a special story to it. 1st of all here is what it looked like when I got it 4 years ago. It was left in a crawl space under a house in North Carolina for about 5 years WITHOUT a case after the original owner had passed away. Nothing worked, changers and nut rollers were frozen, the front and rear aprons were splitting off and the aluminum was in very sad shape.

This guitar, ser#1096, was built for Dave Flavin Jr. on Nov. 7th, 1967. It was 8 floors and 2 knees and the E9th neck and C6th neck were reversed. It is now owned by his son, Dave Flavin III in Spanaway, Washington. He located the guitar from another family member and had it shipped to me. Dave and I have spent many hours on the phone discussing the set up and exchanging ideas. To get the guitar back to its original color of dark blue, he sent me some photos of his father playing the guitar in the late 60's. Dave decided to have the necks changed to having the E9th on the front neck and C6th on the rear. He also decided to set the guitar up with 6 knee levers. The body was stripped, bleached cracks repaired, and sanded and after I stained the blue, it was sent to Glenn Thompson for the nitro lacquer.

I had to make a new center rail, front rail, a ton of pull rods, all new cross shafts and mounts. The adjustable knee levers were made by Jerry Fessenden. All of the aluminum was sanded and polished. A bunch of hours were spent on this guitar along with a few choice words that I cannot write here on the forum!!! After me throwing several temper tantrums, a few more grey hairs, here is what we came up with. Dave and I have dubbed this guitar "Lazarus", since it has pretty much risen from the grave.

Tomorrow it should be on its way from Kentucky to Washington. Dave renenbers when his father received the guitar from Zane Beck. Hopefully it will bring back some fond memories and hours of playing enjoyment. There is no mistaking the brand of this guitar when you plug it in. Its pure 100% ZB Custom. I am sure that his father will be grinning ear to ear from up above when Dave gets to set behind this guitar for the 1st time. Ole Lazarus is on its way home. Enjoy it Dave and thanks for the great friendship we have.

Greg
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

Hats off to you Greg and to Dave for seeing the end result. That guitar is beautiful. Almost makes you wanna cry.
Sonny Priddy

ZB.

Post by Sonny Priddy »

Great Job Greg. SONNY.
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Greg,

Super job! Dave should be real happy!!! :D

Check out Greg's Myspace page and his new CD project!
http://www.myspace.com/silverflaketele

Russ
Joe Gorfinkle

Post by Joe Gorfinkle »

Wow what a beautiful guitar
Ernie Pollock

Wow

Post by Ernie Pollock »

That has to be the most beautiful ZB I have ever had the honor of looking at, just a super job on that guitar, wish I had one like it, & I bet a lot of the guys on here would be happy to add that to there inventory of steel guitars. I really like all those knee levers on there, all the ZB's I every had just had one, two or three levers, but not that special like this one.

Ernie Pollock
http://www.hereintown.net/~shobud75/stock.htm
Larry Chung

Post by Larry Chung »

Beautiful work as usual, Greg. And thanks for sharing the stories, too!

Before: Eewwwwhhh.
After: Aaahhhhhh.

ZBest,
LC
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Greg,Just AMAZING!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

The first word I thought of was WOW!!! Greg, your work is amazing and beautiful.
Duncan
Bob Hamilton

Post by Bob Hamilton »

Greg, excellent work, as usual. I'll bet it was really fun to reverse the center and front rails, and then all the cross shafts would be backwards too. Great job.

Hey Duncan, at least it's not for sale...........:D
B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

Thanks for all the compliments folks!!!

Bob H. you nailed it exactly!!! It was a real bear changing the necks around. Ya just cant move the pulls from one neck to another on a ZB. The lateral movement of the cross straps prohibit you from doing that. I actually made 2 front rails and 2 center rails before I got the spacing exactly right.

And you are right, this guitar IS NOT for sale. If it ever comes up for sale though...I got dibs on it!!! LOL

Greg
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Hey Bob. I'm actually glad that it isn't for sale. I don't think I could survive the kiniptions that I would be going through if it was for sale. I barely survived the recent sale of Alex's "Greg Jones" ZB, that I couldn't afford. I'm going to need lots of psychiatric help, in addition to the psychiatric help I needed before that ordeal.
I will say that Dafe F. III's ZB is about the prettiest shade of blue I've ever seen on a ZB and the top deck has mellowed beautifully.
Duncan
Joe A. Camacho

Post by Joe A. Camacho »

Man that's really nice Greg! Reminds me of another blue ZB (close your eyes Duncan).

Bob Hamilton

Post by Bob Hamilton »

Hey Joe, looks to me like you need to update your signature photo. That blue ZB is much prettier than that Professional.....
B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

Joe,

Its close to yours but really a good bit darker on the blue. Under low or dim lights it looks black and thats what the original finish looked like. There is a TON of birdsye in the tops at the keyhead end and the front apron has some really nice figure to it too. In a way, I kinda hate to see it go, but I have others waiting in line. Its been quite the ordeal. I cant think of anyone more deserving of this guitar than Dave. When I got it, my 1st impression was to scrap it out for usable parts, but Dave's determination, persistance and patience won the battle. Not only is he a player, but he knows his ZB stuff too.

Greg
Duncan Hodge

Post by Duncan Hodge »

Hey Joe, nothing like kicking a guy when he's down. Thanks for the reminder of yet another one of my mistakes in a life filled with stupid choices. Maybe I'll need two therapists now. Couldn't you have at least posted it on a day when my car didn't die.
In all sincerity, Joe, I do believe that my old blue ZB misses its red "friend", not to mention the warm Florida weather and the lake. You should immediately pack it nicely and send it back home. Don't bother changing the strings...I have a nice set of Ricky Davis Jagwires lying around. I believe that is what "Ol Blue" wears these days.
In all sincerity, play it well and in good health. Most of the rest was funnin', except for the part about the car.
Here is a picture of Joe's ZB in happier days. Duncan

Dennis Olearchik

wow-wee-wow!

Post by Dennis Olearchik »

an amazing and beautiful transformation! :)
Joe A. Camacho

Post by Joe A. Camacho »

Duncan Hodge wrote:Hey Joe, nothing like kicking a guy when he's down. Thanks for the reminder of yet another one of my mistakes in a life filled with stupid choices. Maybe I'll need two therapists now. Couldn't you have at least posted it on a day when my car didn't die.
In all sincerity, Joe, I do believe that my old blue ZB misses its red "friend", not to mention the warm Florida weather and the lake. You should immediately pack it nicely and send it back home. Don't bother changing the strings...I have a nice set of Ricky Davis Jagwires lying around. I believe that is what "Ol Blue" wears these days.
In all sincerity, play it well and in good health. Most of the rest was funnin', except for the part about the car.
Here is a picture of Joe's ZB in happier days. Duncan

want her back, make me an offer...
B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

Here is a picture of the guitar when it was new. That is Dave's father setting behind it. I think the picture is from about 1969.

Greg
B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

And here is one more.

Mike Sigler

Post by Mike Sigler »

Hey Greg
Great Story, Man you did a great job on that old ZB.
Have you ever had any leads on our old one?...
Im still looking and have alot of my buddys out there with there eyes open to.
Hope all is well, give me a jingle some time.
Mike
Carlos Polidura

Post by Carlos Polidura »

BEAUTY-FULLLLL.............
John Davis

Post by John Davis »

Greg you still The Man on ZB`s NICE ONE :D
Marlin Smoot

Post by Marlin Smoot »

Greg! Wow!
Loved the pictures of the band, and the steel player right in front & center.

A couple of years ago, I was sitting in with a band I had never played with before...the singer asked me where I like to sit on stage...I said ( in pure comedy form ) right in the middle up front... he looked at me and said "that's where i stand" ... he didn't get the joke and thought I was serious, needless to say, it was a long night.

That picture reminded of that evening. Also interesting to note; I don't see a drummer.
Micky Byrne

Re: Old ZB Custom Back to Life!!!!

Post by Micky Byrne »

Hi Greg, amazing job you've done there. The whole deal of your "Lazarus" reminds me of my "Phoenix" Sho-Bud which was on this forum a couple of months ago.I'm so pleased for you :)

Micky Byrne United Kingdom