Gary Dunn

Who is this guy?

Post by Gary Dunn »

Chris Bauer

Post by Chris Bauer »

No clue who it is but I like it!
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

He doesn't appear to be in sync physically with the music. My first impression is, he's faking it ...
Cal Freeman

Post by Cal Freeman »

There is a 'out of sync' thing with most of those videos...It looks like he's hitting the right spots on the neck to me....
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

I like it...
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Just listen and watch his left leg - that tells the truth when it looks like his hands are lying. ;-)
J. R. McClung

CORRECTION

Post by J. R. McClung »

According to the myspace page the steeler for CHARLIEHORSEBAND is Cody Russell.

DISREGARD: Somehow I clicked on the youtube clip below it. :oops:
Last edited by J. R. McClung on 24 Jul 2007 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forget "world peace". Visualize using your turn signals.
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

Ah... I just love that Emmons sound! :D
Well, we don't seem to know him because he seems to practice instead of spending time on this board ;)
And if he really is Mr. Cody Russel, boy did he practice and did he progress: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-JPP8FS ... ed&search=

Actually that could really be the man, just watch as he looks at both, his picking hand and bar hand on both videos.

I love the first video a lot... actually downloaded it.

... J-D.
David Higginbotham

Post by David Higginbotham »

Well I certainly don't believe he is faking it at all. I think he is a very talented player and I enjoyed viewing the clip.

I believe with the ever growing popularity of Robert Randolph that we will continue seeing many more players taking an ever differing approach with pedal steel.

That's a good thing!
Last edited by David Higginbotham on 24 Jul 2007 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Dunn

Post by Gary Dunn »

This guy is from Switzerland, so I do not think it is Cody Russell.

Well, I found it--his name is Guido.

In addition, his shirt is referencing a British in-line skate team.
Last edited by Gary Dunn on 23 Jul 2007 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

What a waste of a pedal steel guitar. It could all easily be done on 6 string.
Gary Dunn

his other video

Post by Gary Dunn »

kevin,

Is this more to your taste?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAi6s1nqZ_c
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Yeah Gary. Nice Emmons tone. Good playing.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Interesting. He never uses any of the knee levers at all.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

He is NOT playing live. Look at the Beginning of the last clip. As he walks across the floor, sets something down on his steel, and moves his chair... those sounds are in perfect sync with his actions. There is No audio delay in this clip. The sound of his footsteps and the creaking of his seat when he moves it are perfectly matched to his actions. But... when the music starts, his 'picking' is WAY out of sync with the music. Not even close. I'm shocked that forum members can't recognize this. This clip is as phony as a $3 bill.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

total bogus fake job!! both clips!
Last edited by chris ivey on 23 Jul 2007 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Who is this guy?
A Con Man, that's who!

Milli Vanilli lives. :roll:
Johnny Baldwin

Post by Johnny Baldwin »

Thank you Doug! This same guy's playing came up in a thread awhile back, and I mentioned that in the second clip, even with some video delay, when he gets up to turn off the camera, a few bars of the PSG continue to play way beyond what a video delay would have created.
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

I really don't think he's faking it. Why would you fake a crappy home practice session? Not that his playing is crappy, just the quality/angle of the video.

here's a video I posted and it gets out-of-sync pretty quick. Also the longer the video is, the more obvious the out-of-sync'ing becomes. His video is almost twice as long as mine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T100kF9Gcgg
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Chris Bauer

Post by Chris Bauer »

I could care less whether it's a fake or not. I like the way it sounds.

(Fake or not, though, somebody's playing it and I'd be interested in knowing who the player is.)
Rick Nicklas

Post by Rick Nicklas »

Doug, I usually agree with you but not on this one. On the first blues tune the sound portion of the video is approx a quarter to a half second behind the video portion. He is definately making all the correct finger, bar and pedal pushing moves in conjunction with what he is playing. Nobody is that good at faking the correct phrasing .... not even Millie Vanillie... :D :D :D
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Anyone notice that, in the second clip, after the in-sync sounds of the seat, etc., and before the drums start, there's a beep? I don't know what it signifies, but maybe something, one way or another.

A little "devil's advocacy":

Although it's maddening to try to follow it (I can't keep it up through the whole tune), the bar movements seem to correspond to the tune, if you note a bar move and listen for a corresponding musical move a second or so later.

And if someone’s going to go to all the trouble to “body-sync” a fake video, why would they do it with an abrupt bail-out instead of an ending?

Whatever is the case here, I wish I knew why so many YouTube videos are out of sync.
Rick Nicklas

Post by Rick Nicklas »

Okay Doug, I just watched the last clip (third one)and you are right.... he needs to pull this one off the internet. You don't need to be a steel player to smell something fowl on this one. I kept waiting to see the speed picking portion anywhere but it did not happen. But I still think the first one is legit.
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

I think the Gary Moore one is fake too.

I like that tune, and the playing on it, although the tone sounds like one of those cheezy 'generic rock guitar' models. I wonder who's playing on it?
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I was referring mostly to the second clip. That one is so obviously phoney, it's ridiculous.

The audio is NOT out of sync with the video. At the very End of the clip, when he gets up out of his chair and the steel continues to play, he walks across the floor and we hear his shoes click on the floor Exactly in sync with his walking in the video. He picks up something on his guitar and that clicking sound is in perfect sync with his motions. There is no delay in the room noises. The only 'delay' is in this faker's hands. He's pretending.

That means that the first clip is very likely a sham too. Anyone who would do such a thing once will do it twice. I wouldn't believe anything from this guy.

Don't get me wrong, I love the sound, but the guy in that video is not the one doing the playing. He obviously knows something about steel guitar since he has some of the moves down. He is probably a beginning steel player, or a slide guitar player, a wannabe who is having fun with us. He should stick to air guitar.

Don't believe everything you read, see, and hear on the internet. ;-)
Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 24 Jul 2007 10:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.