Who is the steeler with Linda Ronstadt- 1974

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Wait!!! Yes, that tune's on her "Hand Sown, Home Grown" album. I played mandolin on two cuts of that disc. Red Rhodes played steel, Clarence on lead guitar, Dick Rosmini on rhythm guitar, Richard Greene on fiddle, Chip Douglas on bass/producer, and "Fast Eddie" Hoh on drums.

We're talking January of '69 now, so that's like 38+ years ago! Sheesh, I didn't think I was that old! But Linda just turned 61, and I'm 14 months behind her, so yeah... the math doesnt' lie.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Herb, I'm forever in your debt for your role in getting Linda to record
"Break My Mind"! And as Jim pointed out, the Clarence White contribution on that song was outta sight.
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

b0b,
You're an evil man!

Mike Perlowin-
In 1964, 10 year earlier, when Linda was just another local girl singer with dreams or becoming a star, she dated a fellow named Mike Bass, with whom I and amother fellow shared an apartment for a few months.

One day I accidentally walked in on them at the wrong moment, and saw her naked.
Thank God it was 1964 and not 2004!
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Matt Elsen wrote:Hey Mike,

Are you sure that it really was Mike Bass and not the, um, "Big E" that night, too?
All I can say is that as much as I admire Buddy, I really have no desire whatsoever to see him naked.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Bruce W Heffner

Breaking Radio Silence

Post by Bruce W Heffner »

After having about given up on the forum.........finally some cool stuff. What a great period for Buddy's playing. The Blade and the mug profile in Love has no Pride leaves no doubt. Those harmonics are unmistakable and the total taste of the steel.........it is the Great One.
Danny Kuykendall

Post by Danny Kuykendall »

No one's mentioned that on the album of her greatest hits, Ed Black does a very interesting, unusual steel break on "Silver Threads" that sounds somewhat like a fiddle. I think he used a boss tone. I play the same riff when I play the song. I met Ed at a club named Huck Finn's in Belmont Shores in about 1977. He was an extremely friendly person and also was kind enough to show me a few things on steel. I'm sorry to hear he died so young.
Danny K
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Ed played a great solo, kind of patterned after the original solo played by Red on the "Hand Sown" album. Red was really into using heavy effects in those days... remember, it was 1969... and I know there was fuzz and maybe some kind of phase shifter on his steel (the Fender 800).

I recall Red saying at the session that Buddy was filling in for him at the Palomino club (he was the bandleader at that time) while we were doing the Linda dates at the Capitol tower.

It was Ed's cut of "Silver" that made it to the "Greatest Hits" album. Some of you may know that Ed was an excellent leather worker, and could make anything from belts, to guitar straps, to saddles. A renaissance man, of sorts.

I never played steel on Linda's records. Frankly, it was my first steel gig and as such I couldn't find my musical butt with both hands tied behind my back in those days. As a matter of sidebar interest, Dick Rosmini got me on a Larry Murray session, my first one on pedal steel. As luck would have it, while I was butchering a solo, Buddy and Peggy walked in the control room. :oops: I proceeded to do my best "deer-in-the-headlights" choke and subsequently slithered off behind one of the baffles in the studio, to emerge about 2 hours later. :oops:
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Fish

Post by Fish »

Herb Steiner wrote: As a matter of sidebar interest, Dick Rosmini got me on a Larry Murray session, my first one on pedal steel. As luck would have it, while I was butchering a solo, Buddy and Peggy walked in the control room. :oops: I proceeded to do my best "deer-in-the-headlights" choke and subsequently slithered off behind one of the baffles in the studio, to emerge about 2 hours later. :oops:
Hey Herb,
Wow, I don't know many steelers who could recover from a "Buddy Emmons" visit on their very first steel session. You're a great player today, so obviously it was a good kick in the ***.

Ditto everything you said about Eddie Black.

Here's another Emmons studio story. Around 1997 I asked Buddy to overdub on some tracks I produced for a great singer from Tyler, Texas named Ryan Reynolds. I wanted a C6th solo in the vain of Roger Miller's "Tall Tall Trees" where Buddy goes wild at the end of the solo. But I also had a specific "Emmons" harmonic lick in mind for the end of the solo, so before Buddy's session I laid down a mediocre "scratch" C6th pass, just to demonstrate this "Emmons harmonic quote" to Buddy.

Bad idea!

When I played him my scratch steel pass, Buddy looked at me with a smile and a twinkle in his eye and said nothing. Then he gave me that one-in-a-million laugh of his, reached into his steel seat and pulled out a business card and handed it to me. The card had a derby on it and said, "I really dig what you're trying to play." We all had a huge laugh and got down to work.

He then sat down and played the most incredible solo you could ever imagine.
His steel seemed to levitate on the spot...I'm not kidding! It was really a fantastic session.

I feel fortunate to call Buddy a friend and to have worked with him over the years. He's "world class" in every way, plus he's got that laugh.

Steve Fishell
Bob Knight

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Bob Knight »

It IS The "BIG E"
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

One day I accidentally walked in on them at the wrong moment, and saw her naked.
Mike, you saw her naked what? :oops:

:D
Michael Douchette

Post by Michael Douchette »

That's ok... Linda on stage one time actually made me... well, I won't post it, but I'll tell it in e-mail... maybe...
Mikey D... H.S.P.
Music hath the charm to soothe a savage beast, but I'd try a 10mm first.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Michael Douchette

Post by Michael Douchette »

Fish wrote:I feel fortunate to call Buddy a friend and to have worked with him over the years. He's "world class" in every way, plus he's got that laugh.

Steve Fishell
Yes, that laugh... ok, I'll tell one...

I had already been a studio rhythm guitar and harmonica player since 1974. I had worked with Buddy quite a bit. After I got the job playing steel with Tammy in 1980, I went to England, I think it was '81, may have been in '80. Anyway, Buddy and I wound up sitting next to each other on the bus from the airport to the Royal Garden Hotel in London. Buddy asked me what I was doing there. I said I was working with Tammy. He asked me what I was playing. I just kinda looked forward, covered my mouth and said, "Steel." He said, "What? I didn't hear you." I looked at him, and said, "Steel."

He laughed all the way to the hotel...
Mikey D... H.S.P.
Music hath the charm to soothe a savage beast, but I'd try a 10mm first.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Buddy who?? :lol:
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Richard Sinkler wrote:Buddy who?? :lol:
Buddy Ebsen?
:wink:
Mark
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

I'm so late in on this thread, but as soon as I looked at the link I realized it was a from a show I saw on PBS a few months back. There were several close-ups of Buddy during the program. Other artists performed on this show as well. I really enjoyed watching it. There was no doubt in my mind at the time that it was Buddy Emmons. It was pretty obvious then, and again now when looking at the thread. I am blown away that there was even an argument about who it was. This is one of the more embarrassing threads I've seen here. Mr. Emmons, if you're still reading this, don't judge all of us too harshly. :)
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

Let's see if we can out-last them ZB boys!!!
Dale Bessant

Post by Dale Bessant »

Hey,
I couldnt get past her beautiful legs...you mean Buddy was there! :lol:
BMI S-10,3+4,Peavey Vegas 400,15"BW equipped,Goodrich 120,Zoom Studio rack mount-FX,Liberty Resonator,Fender Telecaster,JT-148 Jazz Box,Blueridge BR-180
basilh

Post by basilh »

It must have been him, his name's on the guitar !!
Dale Bessant

Post by Dale Bessant »

Good one Basil.... :lol:
BMI S-10,3+4,Peavey Vegas 400,15"BW equipped,Goodrich 120,Zoom Studio rack mount-FX,Liberty Resonator,Fender Telecaster,JT-148 Jazz Box,Blueridge BR-180
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

I don't have anything to say...I just like seeing it up here...
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

You're apparently not alone...
Dave Zirbel

Post by Dave Zirbel »

Six pages and almost 10,000 hits! My best thread yet! :lol: